Safety issues: Wright injury latest Bears' concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
majorwright.jpg

Bears rookie safety Major Wright stretches during camp before later injuring a groin muscle. (Jonathan Daniel/Getty)

By Brad Biggs

BOURBONNAIS -- The Bears are hoping everything is OK with safety Major Wright, who left the practice field Monday with a groin muscle injury.

Wright is the second player to go down at a position where the team has been unable to find any consistency since Lovie Smith arrived in 2004. Chris Harris remains sidelined with a back injury suffered Saturday, and Smith said, "It's a back injury. They take a while."

That doesn't sound like Harris will be returning Tuesday or perhaps even the next day.

As for Wright, the Bears typically shut down players with muscle pulls for at least four days. They want to be cautious, especially in the first week of August when a mistake made by a matter of days can wind up costing a player weeks if he reinjures himself. No timetable is known for Wright.
The third-round draft pick from Florida made a big hit over the middle Monday and then picked off a Caleb Hanie pass before limping off the field. He had scored some reps with the first team Sunday in the absence of Harris. His work hasn't gone unnoticed.

"Big hits and also I like the way he's played the ball," Smith said. "He's been around the ball quite a bit. He has good hands, he's eager. I'm excited about him being here. He's a good football player. We need to get him back out on the football field, though, because there's good competition at the safety position."

If there's a plus side to players being out, it's the chance to look at more options. Veterans Craig Steltz and Josh Bullocks are benefitting most with Danieal Manning still projected as a starter. Bullocks has made some plays. Steltz was praised throughout the offseason.

Remember, Steltz was projected to be a starter entering training camp last summer before Smith juggled the depth chart just before camp. He had spent the entire 2009 offseason running with the ones. Then, there is Al Afalava, who made 13 starts as a rookie last season but has some climbing to do on the depth chart.

The Bears have swapped starting safeties 41 times in six seasons under Smith. The plan in trading for Harris and drafting Wright was to solidify the positions. They're not off to a grand beginning, but it's early and there are options.

We'll see who is on the practice field when things get going at 3 p.m.

More...

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Wright went down after landing in the splits. That has to be painful. The best of luck to him.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Is there some kind of a "safety curse" that has struck us since Lovie's been here? This stuff seems to happen every year.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hope he recovers soon, the Bears need him to be healthy and win the starting FS job.

Pepe Silvia

Where's my mail?
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Wright went down after landing in the splits. That has to be painful. The best of luck to him.

I did this in high school playing running back a fat lineman jumped on me like a piggy-back to tackle me while I was mid-stride and my legs instantly split out from under me into the splits. I am not a very flexible dude so it was some pretty excrutiating pain to be instantly forced into the splits position. I was for the most part fine after a day or two but felt soreness in the areas for even a few months afterward, and lost even more flexibility. I hope this is not a lingering injury for him.

And as for the article, "Wright is the second player to go down at a position where the team has been unable to find any consistency since Lovie Smith arrived in 2004." This little nugget is pathetic. We have had crap in most of the secondary almost his whole tenure here. And how many picks in the first three rounds have been d-backs? I think Wright is the first. Inexcusable.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I did this in high school playing running back a fat lineman jumped on me like a piggy-back to tackle me while I was mid-stride and my legs instantly split out from under me into the splits. I am not a very flexible dude so it was some pretty excrutiating pain to be instantly forced into the splits position. I was for the most part fine after a day or two but felt soreness in the areas for even a few months afterward, and lost even more flexibility. I hope this is not a lingering injury for him.

And as for the article, "Wright is the second player to go down at a position where the team has been unable to find any consistency since Lovie Smith arrived in 2004." This little nugget is pathetic. We have had crap in most of the secondary almost his whole tenure here. And how many picks in the first three rounds have been d-backs? I think Wright is the first. Inexcusable.

Manning 2nd round, Hester (originally a D-back/Returner) 2nd round. Then yes Wright comes and followed by numerous 4th and 5th round picks.

Until last season they had a once great pro in Brown trying to come back and start every year before being re-injured each time. Giving up on all your picks instantly and not giving any of them time to develop and improve is what would be inexcusable and further detrimental as many of those picks were changed to work for the offense and pulled out players contributing when JA has a track record of decent to quality late round defensive players starting.

Pepe Silvia

Where's my mail?
Liked Posts:
Manning and Hester were both considered to be massive projects and I don't think Hester at CB was ever really taken all that seriously to begin with. I mean there are just a lot of good defensive backs that have come out the last 5 years that I wish we would have gotten. I think the issue I have is really more that I have an issue with JA's draft philosophy in general.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I don't think it's a flaw with his philosophy it has build quality teams. The issue more seems that they kept feeling the defense was fine and would rebound each of the past 3 years because it had the same core players. They had the same corners, same linebackers, same DEs and same safeties (Thinking Brown could come back until last season) All they knew they didn't have the same was DT's except an injured Harris so that position had several 3rd round picks.

The thing is they knew their offense was lacking so many of their top picks went there, only Baziun and Okwo(Lovie's personal pick) were the other early defensive picks. You are right though.

Status
Not open for further replies.