Saints Cut OG Warford

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
That is my point exactly if the Bears can over pay for marginal players, why would they not pay a fair price for a very good player?
Maybe cuz the Bears suck at contracts?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
7 mil a year is doable. Cutting Shaheen saves you 1 mil. Maybe look to extend/restructure Hicks and/or Patterson if need be.

Other options include:
Moving on from Pat O Donnell - 1.75 mil cap savings
Cutting Ben Braunecker - 1.45 mil cap savings
Trading Tarik Cohen - 2.2 mil cap hit - I like both UDFA, especially Artavius Pierce. Also, Cohen really concerned me last season. All his stats went dramatically down despite constant touches. He always seemed to look for the sidelines and shy away from contact. Both huge red flags for me.

Plus, I'm reading we have about 11 mil in cap space. Pace can and honestly needs to make this happen.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Jimmy Graham died 5 years ago and the Bears are paying him 8 million. Now they cant afford to pay a pro bowl guard 7.

Because he doesn't fit the scheme and Jimmy G does?

IDK.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Also, I have a feeling they are keeping shaheen into training camp.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's a G. I thought they overpaid Long but at least I understand continuity on the OL. Let Castillo earn his pay.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
If Bears really are going all in, although Warford was relatively weak on pass protection, noted as the 2019 went into the playoffs, relative to Ifedi and Coward, Warford appears to be a significant upgrade.

PFF:
RG: Warford 73.1
LG Daniels 69.9
C Whitehair 64.9
T Spriggs (64.7 2018)
RT Massie 63.2
RG Ifedi (58.8 playing as a RT)
LT Leno 58.6

Can Ifedi be cut? At what cost?

Would Warford really not be able to play Nagy's zone-blocking as well as Ifedi or Coward? I kinda doubt it.

But maybe the Bears feel really good about Alex Bars, whom the Patriots tried to sign off the Bears PS.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ifedi will be at G. His biggest issue is plying in space. If you're going by #s, just cut Leno and put Spriggs there. Joking as I know the cap hit is not good and either is Spriggs so far.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Ifedi will be at G. His biggest issue is plying in space. If you're going by #s, just cut Leno and put Spriggs there. Joking as I know the cap hit is not good and either is Spriggs so far.
Bears are out of the Larry Warford chase, per Mike Florio 5/9.

Bars is an intriguing question. He played LT in 2019 preseason. Was brought up to play RG, stats show he played in 5 games, 11 offensive snaps (at G I assume) and 19 ST snaps (oline for kicks/punts I assume). Has played both Tackle and Guard in practice.

If you're Pace, do you concentrate Bars at G or T?

Last edited:

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:
If Bears really are going all in, although Warford was relatively weak on pass protection, noted as the 2019 went into the playoffs, relative to Ifedi and Coward, Warford appears to be a significant upgrade.

PFF:
RG: Warford 73.1
LG Daniels 69.9
C Whitehair 64.9
T Spriggs (64.7 2018)
RT Massie 63.2
RG Ifedi (58.8 playing as a RT)
LT Leno 58.6

Can Ifedi be cut? At what cost?

Would Warford really not be able to play Nagy's zone-blocking as well as Ifedi or Coward? I kinda doubt it.

But maybe the Bears feel really good about Alex Bars, whom the Patriots tried to sign off the Bears PS.
This is just like the Josh Sitton scenario, from a few years back. Only Warford is younger, and a bit more athletic. RG was one of the Bears biggest holes, and yet they want to piddle dick around with it, instead of outright fixing it. Typical Bears front office.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You can fix anything with enough money in FA though Warford is not that perfect fit. A GM has to pick his spots where to do it with $ and where to do it with #s and coaching. Fans look at it as if we have this spot for that guy. Pace is looking at as we have a couple/few guys for the spot with at least a functional known that he hopes will step up to VG when put to a more favorable circumstance. Warford would not be a Pro Bowl player in this O either.

In the case of Ifedi, Pace sees him as having played out of his optimum position and experienced enough to, at the minimum, be functional at G with the possibility to step up. Warford is a very good player but his average mobility is not the best fit for what this O is doing. Is he better than Ifedi? Sure but he's likely not all that special in this O and it's movement. He'll find a better fit elsewhere and be worth what he gets paid but that probably wasn't here.

Would I rather have Warford? Sure but I think it's overstated and probably not cost effective. N.O. obviously felt that way. I know they drafted his potential replacement (in a similar draft position to Ifedi) but that doesn't guarantee them anything.

Bars probably needs a bit of Castillo before he's ready to play. I think he's also ends up a big G if he sticks though RT is not out of the question but I think he's better inside. I can't imagine he's ready from the coaching he's received after watching the line lose it's coordination and technique over the past 2 years. I'm probably too down on Hiestand but it's difficult to believe the entire line forgot how to individually do their jobs. It wasn't just the uncoordination, it's like their existing technique got coached out of them.

The good news is that it tells me this group is coachable, LOL.

Last edited:

Apoptosis

Liked Posts:
You can fix anything with enough money in FA though Warford is not that perfect fit. A GM has to pick his spots where to do it with $ and where to do it with #s and coaching. Fans look at it as if we have this spot for that guy. Pace is looking at as we have a couple/few guys for the spot with at least a functional known that he hopes will step up to VG when put to a more favorable circumstance. Warford would not be a Pro Bowl player in this O either.

In the case of Ifedi, Pace sees him as having played out of his optimum position and experienced enough to, at the minimum, be functional at G with the possibility to step up. Warford is a very good player but his average mobility is not the best fit for what this O is doing. Is he better than Ifedi? Sure but he's likely not all that special in this O and it's movement. He'll find a better fit elsewhere and be worth what he gets paid but that probably wasn't here.

Would I rather have Warford? Sure but I think it's overstated and probably not cost effective. N.O. obviously felt that way. I know they drafted his potential replacement (is a similar position as Ifedi) but that doesn't guarantee them anything.

Bars probably needs a bit of Castillo before he's ready to play. I think he's also ends up a big G if he sticks though RT is not out of the question but I think he's better inside. I can't imagine he's ready from the coaching he's received after watching the line lose it's coordination and technique over the past 2 years. I'm probably too down on Hiestand but it's difficult to believe the entire line forgot how to individually do their jobs. It wasn't just the uncoordination, it's like their existing technique got coached out of them.

Well said.

Bars is going to be the wild card in the OL this year. I am rooting for him to take over RG and bring some nastiness back to the OL.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I remember when the Bears used to be like that. I don't know what happened with these last three regimes, but I think it starts with top draft picks not working out, so you're constantly chasing skill players and neglect the less sexy offensive line players. It trickles down, if you will.
Pace has had 14 actual selections in the 1st 3 rounds. 3 of them have been OL. That's well above league average.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:

Would I rather have Warford? Sure but I think it's overstated and probably not cost effective. N.O. obviously felt that way. I know they drafted his potential replacement (in a similar draft position to Ifedi) but that doesn't guarantee them anything.

Bars becoming anything in the NFL outside of a decent back up is a long shot. I’m not writing him off but the idea that this guy will become an average NFL lineman simply because the patriots wanted him is a long shot.

How many guys come into the league and can’t play their way into the field end up being somebody?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Biggs reporting that Warford won't get the $7 million that he's looking for

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bars becoming anything in the NFL outside of a decent back up is a long shot. I’m not writing him off but the idea that this guy will become an average NFL lineman simply because the patriots wanted him is a long shot.

How many guys come into the league and can’t play their way into the field end up being somebody?
I agree and certainly wasn't projecting him as starter at this time. I even questioned whether he would stick on the roster. That said I would bet that the position that has developed the most starters form late choices and udfa is G. Of course you shouldn't expect it but Bars was a higher rated player that wasn't drafted due to a ding. I suspect that and need have many projecting him above what he's shown.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Biggs reporting that Warford won't get the $7 million that he's looking for
At the right price, sure but am obviously less enthusiastic than others.