Saints head coach Sean Payton has not committed to returning to New Orleans for 2022 NFL season

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Would they take Sweaty Teddy in a trade?

msadows

Liked Posts:
I'm assuming he wants to take a few years off and return eventually.

But if he's even thinking bears he would be 100% the best case scenario...right?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I’ve been saying Sean Payton for months now

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I cannot think of any reason or scenario of him suddenly having a desire to anadon his current contract and have a craving to coach the Bears.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I cannot think of any reason or scenario of him suddenly having a desire to anadon his current contract and have a craving to coach the Bears.

Its not likely. Just figured I'd post it because its semi relevant.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Not sure about the craving to coach the Bears, but there are 70 million (amount of $ the Saints are over 2022 cap) and 4 (Taysom Hill, Trevor Siemain, Ian Book, and poss. Jameis Winston) reasons to want to abandon the Saints as HC.

greg23

Liked Posts:
He'll return when the Saints somehow find a way to get Rodgers

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:

I thought I was learning a cool new word I’d never heard before but then realized it was just a typo and you were trying to type abandon.

Anadon sounds like a prehistoric creature like a type of dinosaur.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:

Not saying that I think he'll come here, but there are definitely reasons for him to want to. Justin Fields has the potential to be a franchise quarterback while New Orleans has Taysum Hill. If I'm Sean Payton, the idea of going to Chicago and getting a super bowl would be very attractive to me.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

But if he's even thinking bears he would be 100% the best case scenario...right?
1000000000000%

The dream scenario.

With Jeff Ireland as a candidate, the Bears should have all the insight needed to truly know if it was a possibility.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I’m not trying to be a hater but lol at coaches salivating over Fields. The reality is probably the exact opposite. They’re scared they’re tied to him and his progress. Which in many ways they have no control over. If he’s not good enough they can’t just make him good enough. I know people want to pretend there’s this magic elixir and it will unlock him or something naive like that. And coaching matters, but a players success often correlates with their own ability. There’s only so many jobs so a guy will just lie and be like “I can make him good” because they’re going to say whatever they need to say to get the multi million dollar a year playing job. Where their salary is probably going up like 4x. But on the inside they know if he’s not good enough they're in many ways screwed. And last year wasn’t exactly promising. And they’re also smart people and not below average football minds on a message board who have convinced themselves his bad play is the fault of everybody else because they’ve weirdly emotionally tied themselves to him.

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
He's under contract until 2026. The Bears can't afford to spend their draft capital on him, as much as I would love to have him.
I actually think that if he were to request out, they wouldn't ask for anything or if they did, something very minimal out of respect for everything he has done for them and wanting to part on the best of terms.

With that said, if he has some big dream of coaching the Bears, he probably should have thought this through much earlier. Is he going to wait for the Bears to hire a GM and head coach before deciding he wants to come? It just feels a bit late in the process to be undecided

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

This. He’d take a year off at least. The timing is wrong for him coming to CHI.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

IF (big if) he leaves New Orleans but is allowed to coach next year (i.e. let out of his contract) - then Payton becomes the biggest "hot" candidate this offseason by a country mile.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
He's under contract until 2026. The Bears can't afford to spend their draft capital on him, as much as I would love to have him.
If we believe he gets the best out of Fields and gets us to a title, then it is worth it.