Saints-Texans...the best of MNF!

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I still do the typical NFL stuff...I still pay for Sunday Ticket because I have money to burn (apparently)...I still play fantasy football although I don't know most of the players and I don't follow who switches teams...and I still will tune in to MNF (and sometimes even Thursday Night Football) even though I tend to shut the game of at halftime.

But Saints-Texans was such a compelling game. First off, it started early enough so I could watch the whole thing. Second, it featured two teams that were a compelling matchup (lets ignore that Broncos-Raiders game...it wasn't even Joe Flacco's home debut!). Third, the play on the field was great throughout...the exact opposite of Thursday's Bears-Packers. I guess the most amazing aspect of the game was it felt like you were watching Mitch Trubisky (Drew Brees) face off against Mitch Trubisky (DeShaun Watson). Its going to be an exciting year for the NFL and for the Bears offense!

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
As a former trubisky apologist I think Watson is a better qb.... that was hard for me to say but at no point does Watson look rattled or get that deer in the headlights look and they were pounding the crap out of him... his deep ball is a thing of beauty to behold

It was an amazing game

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Anything that features Booger McFarland cannot be characterized as the best of anything.

Great game though... It was nice two see two different UCF alums score for the Saints.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Watson is better until he's not and that may never happen.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Saints kicker from 58 yards absolutely drilled it for the win. You could move that ball up 20 yards and Pendejo would have shat his pants and miss wide left.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Insane game. I'm glad I watched one good game this week.

Bears/Packers, Browns/Titans, 49ers/Buccaneers, Patriots/Steelers... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That was an amazing game. I was sitting getting a little sleepy towards the end of that game, wife sitting there next to me silently perservering so we could go to bed together. But something told me to stay up and keep watching. I went from thinking that the Texans were easily going to win when they went up 21-10, to being amazed at how the Saints moved that ball down the field like the Texans defense was water (what will be their Achilles heel I believe). That was a finish for the ages.

As far as Trubisky goes, it's clear that DeShaun Watson is the better QB. Having said that, the Texans are loaded at wide-receiver. All those guys were getting separation.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Yep. Last year we knew Mahomes was better....I never said much about Watson/Trubs because I didn't watch the Texans much, but after last night there's clearly things Watson can do that Mitch has no chance at.

So hopefully we can stop the comparisons because Mitch is worse than both, and there's no point bringing it up anymore other than to critique Pace's eval skills.

Last edited:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Anything that features Booger McFarland cannot be characterized as the best of anything.

Great game though... It was nice two see two different UCF alums score for the Saints.

You shut your dirty hooker mouth!

Booger McFarlan bestows his wisdom upon us and this is how you treat him?

Where else am I to learn such nuggets of genius like

"What Drew Brees is tryna do here, is complete a pass without throwing an interception."

or

"Drew Brees runs to pass, he don't run to run."

or

"What they're tryna do here is kick a field goal and get 3 points"

Never since the legendary John Madden has there been such profound wisdom in the booth.

Good day to you, sir.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Yep. Last year we knew Mahomes was better....I never said much about Watson/Trubs because I didn't watch the Texans much, but after last night there's clearly things Watson can do that Mitch has no chance at.

So hopefully we can stop the comparisons because Mitch is worse than both, and there's no point bringing it up anymore other than to critique Pace's eval skills.

I was a guy that wanted to draft Mahomes and I would have been fine with Watson. @bearmick and I were thanking each others' posts on the virtues of Watson leading up to the draft. However, it is absolutely crazy to say there are things that Trubisky will NEVER be able to do. He's exhibited almost every skill you need to be a top flight QB but without any consistency at all. That's the maddening part. You know what Mahomes is going to do. You know what Watson brings to the table. Trubisky is an enigma and it can be frustrating.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Best MNF opening night I remember.
Two great games...

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Both qbs can avoid a rush and keep their eyes downfield, and know, without looking, where the line of scrimmage is. Mitch has work to do...

Which is odd, because when I was arguing for Watson before the draft, one of the things I recall Trubisky fans saying (might have been @PolarBear in particular but don't quote me on that) was that Mitch was able to keep his eyes downfield while moving in the pocket whereas Watson didn't have the pocket presence to do that and had to take off running if the first read wasn't open.

Turns out the exact opposite of that seems to be the case.

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
Here are the cold hard facts:
Watson has 0 wins
Carr has 1

You tell me who is elite

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Which is odd, because when I was arguing for Watson before the draft, one of the things I recall Trubisky fans saying (might have been @PolarBear in particular but don't quote me on that) was that Mitch was able to keep his eyes downfield while moving in the pocket whereas Watson didn't have the pocket presence to do that and had to take off running if the first read wasn't open.

Turns out the exact opposite of that seems to be the case.
Which really goes to show you that evaluating a college QB for the pros is kind of a crap shoot (with the exceptions of the Andrew Lucks).

Furthermore. Many thought Watson had reached his ceiling why Trubisky had not and had a much higher one at that. You just never know.

Who knew the obvious and safe choice at QB turned out to be the better one...?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
This was what @TheWinman assured me. That Watson has already flat lined while Trubisky's arrow just keeps pointing up.

This is why I lol at the homers so much.
Yes, but the point is you really don’t know. No one does. No one saw Mahomes sky rocketing to stardom. It’s kind of an informed crap shoot really.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
It was a great game, and Pace took the "safer" pick in Trubisky because he needed a QB that did not have bust potential. Remember, this was Paces first draft pick where he was calling all the shots, and even though he had been extended, he was still on the hot seat.

Hindsight is always better, and I too was pissed when they selected a QB, but I think it is obvious that Pace went with the QB that had a built in excuse (lack of experience) if he failed.

Mahomes was Jay Cutler 2.0 and Watson was a running QB, and Trubisky was supposed to be the most accurate.

I do remember saying that we need to start planning to draft another QB after the third game last year, but I am not willing to fall into that trap this year. I am going to be patient and root for Trubs to rebound and be even better than last year....Call me a homer.