Salary cap could be in the range of $180 million

Luke

Liked Posts:
yikes!
Not going to be pretty with a GM with a win this year mentality.
Fuller will most likely get extended/restructured.
Mack shouldn't be restructured again but what does Pace care if he has a 30+ mil cap hit after 2021.
Hicks will probably be extended/restructured and then have 15+mil future cap hits when he cant even play.

A league source with knowledge of the situation suggests that the salary cap could be in the range of $180 million.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I still wont believe that it drops 10% from the previous season, until i see it happen, due to unforeseen circumstances. Too many teams and players would be screwed by it.

All signs point to it being around there, but it would be dumb to do that from the NFL's perspective, IMO.

Robocop 80

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Houston Astros
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
I still wont believe that it drops 10% from the previous season, until i see it happen, due to unforeseen circumstances. Too many teams and players would be screwed by it.

All signs point to it being around there, but it would be dumb to do that from the NFL's perspective, IMO.
I saw an example of Suh’s salary going from 7 mil to 3 mil under the new (potential) cap. That’s not gonna fly.....

Visionman

Liked Posts:
It can’t go down. Not in the best interests of anybody for that to happen.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Its purely based on economics, has nothing to do what people’s interests are.

exactly. from the article..

Plenty of owners, in contrast, don’t want to delay the full brunt of the impact of the 2020 losses. They view it as an interest-free loan to players. And that mentality would push the final number closer to $175 million.

and there are no guarantees the 2021 season will be much better.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
So the NFL is going to add a game, which adds a game check, then drop the cap about 10% (13% if you count were the cap should have gone, 208mil).

Brilliant!

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So the NFL is going to add a game, which adds a game check, then drop the cap about 10% (13% if you count were the cap should have gone, 208mil).

Brilliant!
So 2021 gonna be a strike year eh. lol

Robocop 80

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Houston Astros
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
So 2021 gonna be a strike year eh. lol
I wondered about that too, but that would be in very bad faith after approving a deal fairly recently. I don’t know the specifics and really don’t care, but signing off on a deal/pact that goes until 2030 seems kind of crazy.

Bust

Liked Posts:
It will stay same.

NFL doesn't rely solely on fan attendance like the NHL does. They have great tv rights deals and with more people indoors due to corona, am sure their viewership numbers skyrocketed.

NHL is in dire straits. They are the least watched North American sport so can't command tv rights deals like the NBA and NFL can. That league relies heavily on fan attendance.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wondered about that too, but that would be in very bad faith after approving a deal fairly recently. I don’t know the specifics and really don’t care, but signing off on a deal/pact that goes until 2030 seems kind of crazy.
All I know is if my boss told me he was cutting my salary 30% I wouldn't be there the next day. Especially if I was already a multi millionaire.

Robocop 80

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Houston Astros
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
It will stay same.

NFL doesn't rely solely on fan attendance like the NHL does. They have great tv rights deals and with more people indoors due to corona, am sure their viewership numbers skyrocketed.

NHL is in dire straits. They are the least watched North American sport so can't command tv rights deals like the NBA and NFL can. That league relies heavily on fan attendance.
Agree 100%. MLB seems to be having problems as well. FA deals coming out at a very slow trickle. Then you have the NBA, which had huge deals flying out the door at beginning of FA.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hicks will probably be cut, not the popular decision but makes the most sense given the circumstances.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Hicks will probably be cut, not the popular decision but makes the most sense given the circumstances.

It's almost guaranteed to happen unless they extend the cap to around what it is now(200m)

msadows

Liked Posts:
I still just can't see it happening man.

If the cap REALLY goes to 175 or 180, especially 175, thats 25m lower than last year. 10%+, spread out over handfuls of dozens of guys.

Not to mention like half the league barely has any cap room considering those projections right now. You'd basically completely fuck their cap situation up. All teams were expecting at minimum 210m for the cap this year after free agency.

You're essentially penalizing the teams who adequately spaced out their cap hits due to an unforeseen circumstance(The pandemic). That shit can't and shouldn't fly.

This sport, of all sports, knows how to make that cap hit work. FFS, in 2019 the lowest earning team as far as revenue goes in the NFL was the chargers at 395 million.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is not unexpected news. The capnis based on revenues and revenues are down. Pretty simple really. The owners will use this as an opportunity to trim the fat off their rosters and drive values down.

Feelings dont matter here. The players agreed to tie the cap to revenues so they really have no leverage here.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
All I know is if my boss told me he was cutting my salary 30% I wouldn't be there the next day. Especially if I was already a multi millionaire.

You would if everyone else in your industry also got a 30 percent cut---You wouldn't have a choice.