Say Bears are sitting at #3 pick next season...

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Another thing that works in Anderson's favor is his insane strength for someone floating around 245. He can set the edge and take on pulling guards at the point of attack like your old school 275-290 DEs. He might be the best run defender in all of college football which is crazy for someone working off the edge.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
There will be no WR in this class worthy of a top 5 selection included JSN. He's not what alot of people think he is. He's not fast, he's not a high pointer and doesn't have a big catch radius. But he does have fantastic hands and is shifty after the catch with good acceleration and body control. I'm also in the trade down camp but wouldn't be mad if they had to stay put and took BPA. I'm pretty high on Addison but he can be had later.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Depends on who is there and what we've been able to do in free agency. Trading down just a few spots to add a few more early picks would be sick, though...

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I love that you guys come up with a scenario where the potential best QB in the country is there at pick 3 and no one wants to take him.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I love that you guys come up with a scenario where the potential best QB in the country is there at pick 3 and no one wants to take him.
I'm not all that interested in stroud or young. We'd be putting them into a terrible situation too. I'd rather build out the roster next year and give fields another year to develop and maybe sign a real back up. If fields still struggles then try to go get a qb the following year

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Definitely would be a tough decision to make if Young, Stroud, and Levis were all sitting there available at #3, but that doesn't just depend on what the Bears think of Fields. It also depends on what they think of those 3 guys and whether any of them are worth taking in lieu of giving Fields another year. They might be "meh" on those guys but see Caleb Williams or Drake Maye as the world's greatest QB prospects and wait until the following year's draft.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm not all that interested in stroud or young. We'd be putting them into a terrible situation too. I'd rather build out the roster next year and give fields another year to develop and maybe sign a real back up. If fields still struggles then try to go get a qb the following year

THIS.... right here. This is my problem and has been for years. You don't just "try to go get a QB". They fall in your lap like manna from heaven and if one is there you better fucking take it. But instead this franchise comes up with a never ending list of but we need this, or we don't have that.... or we took one last year. Don't you guys get that QB's are rare?

And for the putting them in a terrible situation..... if Poles can't come up with a decent supporting cast with $100 million and some draft picks then he shouldn't be the GM.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. RUN to the podium and pick CJ Stroud.
2. Sign 2 starting Oline in Free Agency. One must be a center.
3. Sign an actual NFL wide receiver in free agency.
There’s no #1 guys but just get someone who can actually play. Not some upside guy like what they signed this year.
4. Sign a TE in free agency. There will be options.
5. Round two you take the best WR or Oline available.
6. Round three you still take the best WR or Oline.
7. Round four you still take WR or Oline.

(Fuck defense for a year, although there still should be free agency money for a 3 tech)

Start the season with Fields. He will have multiple new starters on offense now and you can actually get a good read on him. If he’s the guy then trade CJ for picks. If Fields isn’t the guy then CJ is waiting to play next year and has an improved supporting cast. If somehow CJ does win the job in camp well then you also have the guy.

This gives you two swings at the QB position AND gives you ample money and picks allocated to supporting the best QB.

2024 rebuild a shattered defense.

By 2025 you have a legit team.

I'm not opposed to this as a plan at all. I'm also not opposed to taking a QB every draft (even in the first) until you find an elite (top 5 capable) QB talent and have them prove it at the NFL level. I think the QB position has been set up to be just that important in the modern day NFL. With a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, etc. you're in the super bowl/deep playoff hunt year in and year out. Obviously you need to fill around someone like that in the meantime, but until you have THAT QB, you're not likely to be in the running for it all season after season. Playing just a numbers game, you'd have to luck into one even with piss poor scouting eventually (right? right?) It's the same way I handled dating - just ask enough and play the odds and eventually SOMEONE will say yes. :love:

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
It depends on how far they are trading down. I'd trade down just enough to still be able to get one of the premiere WR talents.

Unfortunately, this doesn't look like a very impressive WR group at first glance. I don't watch much college football, but just from watching the highlights from some of the supposed top guys, I'm not overly impressed. The kid from TCU shows some flashes of brilliance, but his production has been mediocre. Jaxon Smith-Njigba doesn't wow you with his size, nor does he appear to have an elite standout trait.

In a perfect world, you could trade down and have two 1sts where you could take both a WR and an OL.

Last edited:

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I'd go WR or OT with the 1st pick unless everyone involved in the decision feels like there's a true, generational player available at the pick that would warrant going a different direction. The offense is in such a dire need of a talent infusion across the board that I can't fathom not going offense with the 1st pick. That said, given the head coach is a defensive guy, I fully expect to be disappointed and them to go defense first again.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
The reason some scouts are skeptical is because he's built like a guard, 32 inch arms.

I have not watched him, so I can't comment, but that's the knock I've read. I think everyone thinks he's a great prospect, just maybe not at LT.

They said the same thing about Rashawn Slater. He was an all-pro LT last year.

It's not sexy. It's not flashy. It's probably the smartest thing this team could do for Justin Fields. I'd understand a freak WR, though I'd hate it, but it would be the next smartest thing they could do for Fields.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
There will be no WR in this class worthy of a top 5 selection included JSN. He's not what alot of people think he is. He's not fast, he's not a high pointer and doesn't have a big catch radius. But he does have fantastic hands and is shifty after the catch with good acceleration and body control. I'm also in the trade down camp but wouldn't be mad if they had to stay put and took BPA. I'm pretty high on Addison but he can be had later.

JSN might be a second round pick. Jordan Addison should be a top 10 pick tho.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They said the same thing about Rashawn Slater. He was an all-pro LT last year.

It's not sexy. It's not flashy. It's probably the smartest thing this team could do for Justin Fields. I'd understand a freak WR, though I'd hate it, but it would be the next smartest thing they could do for Fields.
He might well be great, and I don't care about flashy. The couple times I've watched him live he's looked good. Always prefer lineman over skill players all things equal.

Given Poles first draft though, he doesn't strike me as the type of player he will target - perhaps to the team's detriment. Seems like he values elite physical traits a lot.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
chances are that the Bears can get a decent RT & OG/C in free agency along with DB & LB

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
1) Bryce Young
2)Will Anderson
3)???????

Do you take JSN, who has had a lingering hamstring injury, 4 rec and 3DNP's in 5 games so far?
Do you take Jalen Carter, an elite 3 tech T, the motor that makes the Flus defense run?
Do you trade down to to the early teens for 2023 1st, 2nd, 2024 1st, 2nd?
Id trade the pick with our 2024 1st rd pick to Pittsburgh for Trubisky.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The more I look into the free agent class the more I don’t like it. Its slim pickings
Roster cuts and some players turn out to be studs throughout the season. Trey Hendrickson came out of nowhere in 2020 to become a stud for Cincy in 2021.

Not a lot of elite players but should plenty of players that will improve the roster.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
1. RUN to the podium and pick CJ Stroud.
2. Sign 2 starting Oline in Free Agency. One must be a center.
3. Sign an actual NFL wide receiver in free agency.
There’s no #1 guys but just get someone who can actually play. Not some upside guy like what they signed this year.
4. Sign a TE in free agency. There will be options.
5. Round two you take the best WR or Oline available.
6. Round three you still take the best WR or Oline.
7. Round four you still take WR or Oline.

(Fuck defense for a year, although there still should be free agency money for a 3 tech)

Start the season with Fields. He will have multiple new starters on offense now and you can actually get a good read on him. If he’s the guy then trade CJ for picks. If Fields isn’t the guy then CJ is waiting to play next year and has an improved supporting cast. If somehow CJ does win the job in camp well then you also have the guy.

This gives you two swings at the QB position AND gives you ample money and picks allocated to supporting the best QB.

2024 rebuild a shattered defense.

By 2025 you have a legit team.
You misspelled Caleb Williams.

By the time the combine ends, he will be the top QB prospect, and I have never been so sure.....except for the one time I said the same thing about Cade McNown.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You misspelled Caleb Williams.

By the time the combine ends, he will be the top QB prospect, and I have never been so sure.....except for the one time I said the same thing about Cade McNown.

I don’t think he comes out till 2024. (May be wrong there)