Say Bears are sitting at #3 pick next season...

Rise

Liked Posts:
Yeah…. Just head on down to the “QB store” and get a good one right? Good QB’s are there every year right?

This whole build the team first thing is the latest fucking dumb idea from a fanbase that knows nothing about QB play. When maybe 5-8 legit franchise QB’s come around every decade you don’t have the luxury of passing if you think you have a shot at one.

Now if you want to sit the guy for a year or two while building the roster that’s fine. Or maybe actually devote some resources to the offense (unlike Poles).

whose the franchise qb available next year that you just gotta have?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
whose the franchise qb available next year that you just gotta have?
That’s not the point. The point is if the staff has someone they like they need to make the move.

Who I like is irrelevant. (And premature. I really haven’t watched these guys a ton and I’m praying Fields makes it a hypothetical argument only)

Rise

Liked Posts:
That’s not the point. The point is if the staff has someone they like they need to make the move.

Who I like is irrelevant. (And premature. I really haven’t watched these guys a ton and I’m praying Fields makes it a hypothetical argument only)

What? So what was your point you think I was saying to pass on the next Payton Manning? Cmon.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What? So what was your point you think I was saying to pass on the next Payton Manning? Cmon.

I replied to this:

“Build the team first then draft a QB”.

Numerous posters have made similar comments.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I replied to this:

“Build the team first then draft a QB”.

Numerous posters have made similar comments.

Ok well to clarify if a true generational QB talent is available you pick him even if you have prime Payton manning or Tom Brady starting for your team. It’s a no brainer.

I am operating under the assumption that this class has a few good prospects but nobody who is a clear cut great one that would be even considered a better prospect than Fields was.

InsideTheLines

Opinionated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Miami Marlins
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
  2. Northwestern Wildcats
Poles will probably trade down and receive a early teens pick along with the next 4 years of 7th rounders

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not opposed to this as a plan at all. I'm also not opposed to taking a QB every draft (even in the first) until you find an elite (top 5 capable) QB talent and have them prove it at the NFL level. I think the QB position has been set up to be just that important in the modern day NFL. With a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, etc. you're in the super bowl/deep playoff hunt year in and year out. Obviously you need to fill around someone like that in the meantime, but until you have THAT QB, you're not likely to be in the running for it all season after season. Playing just a numbers game, you'd have to luck into one even with piss poor scouting eventually (right? right?) It's the same way I handled dating - just ask enough and play the odds and eventually SOMEONE will say yes. :love:
Yeah.

When you get one you usually know right away like Herbert.

Worst case scenario you get two or three and develop them, have depth for 2-3 years and get most of the value back in a trade.

We aren’t in a position to be passing on obvious great players.

That said, you would prefer to have a strong team around a young QB like Fields.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Its going to be great when they take the 3T only to fire this HC in 2 years and switch back to a 3-4 for whoever Josh McCown hires as DC.

That would be such a Bears thing to do.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Its going to be great when they take the 3T only to fire this HC in 2 years and switch back to a 3-4 for whoever Josh McCown hires as DC.
That’s the worst part of the hire. There is such a drastic change to the defense and the offense has zero to offer. It gives them the convenient it will take 7 years to rebuild this. And if it is such a disaster they have to start over after two years like you said we are stuck with players the next guy doesn’t want. Classic baers

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Teams that the Bears could probably beat (or have beaten) I have with them 7th overall:

Jets
Patriots
Texans
Colts
Las Vegas
Denver
Washington
Carolina
New Orleans

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Granted this whole conversation is pure fantasy at this point but what the hell, I'll play GM
  • If the Bears are in fact sitting at #3 overall and assuming that CJ Stroud/Will Levis has gone #1 and Will Anderson has gone #2, I am trading back and acquiring as many picks as I can.
    • I am also not a fan of Bryce Young. He is too small for the NFL and the first time he gets crushed by Parsons, Watt, Bosa, Mack, he isn't getting back up. Kid is very talented, but he makes the small NFL QB's look massive.
    • I am not really a fan of any of the QB's coming out next year in all honesty.
  • With my newly acquired picks, I am building from the inside out, going best player available with a focus on the O and D lines.
    • If I am at a pick where there isn't a lineman worth taking at that spot, then BPA available regardless of position with exception of QB or RB, or trade back more to get more capital
  • I would consider the 2023 draft a foundational draft, build for long term success.
  • I would then look to 2024 draft as frankly I believe in the QB's that could be eligible in that draft moreso than the 2023 QB's.
    • Just my opinion but I think JJ McCarthy and Quinn Ewers will be better pros than this year's draft class.

shoez90

Liked Posts:
They likely take a 3t if it’s Harris Buckner Donald level talent. It would be cool for once to get one of those sweetheart break the bank trade down deals. It would suck for 2023 but a crazy good set up for future years if the right talent gets added with it
I dislike them but it took Belichik a few years to complete but it lasted almost two decades. Build good line foundation get as many picks as possible see who fits cut those that don't. The model is there use it to dominate the north for next ten years.

shoez90

Liked Posts:
Is there a can't miss generational talent at WR, edge, or LT?

Is Fields beyond salvaging?

Has Poles failed to adequately address any areas of need via FA?

If not then trade down, keep Jones and take RT/WR/3tech in 10-15 spot or higher if you can get it.
This is where I'm at too unless there is a can't miss guy hell drop outta top ten get another second round this year or a one next year. Second and third round should have a decent hungry Wr or lineman.