I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You can't blame the front office for giving up on a two outcome player. At some point you have to blame Kyle for not being what he was supposed to be.

true, but at the same time…what was Kyle supposed to be? He was always profiled as an elite bat with no position. He’s now 28, and very well could end up an elite bat with no position.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
true, but at the same time…what was Kyle supposed to be? He was always profiled as an elite bat with no position. He’s now 28, and very well could end up an elite bat with no position.

His LF play was league against when he dropped weight. His power nose dived. Then he put back on the weight. Power went up D went down.

He is a bit on the extreme side. The weight loss was extreme. Shooting back up vs finding a middle ground? Boy needs Noom.

Regardless I will still stick to he came up as a catcher. He needs to find a team that will let him catch 1 guy per week. Then see if he grows (not literally) into the roll.

I've always seen him as a catcher that the Cubs rushed up vs letting him develop.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Actually you can say that it has been a trend of Theo and Jed. Once Bryant came up it became a rush job. Get Schwarber up. Get Baez up. Get Soler up. Get Happ up. Winning window panic attack.

Trade for pitching trade for pitching.

No closer sell Soler.

Can't afford drop contract.

The smartest decision is to provide stability. For the team and the fan base.

Retain Rizzo and Bryant. They are your brand. Invest into it. Baez is very risky. I wouldn't go over 4 years with him. I wouldn't pull opts on Jake or Joc. They both upscale and have not provided production to justify it.

There are smart decisions to make. Schwarber was a rush job because he was a basher that the team needed. What they should have done was what they did in the minors. Swapped Kyle and Wilson between LF and C. Let them caddy to a pitcher. Go from there.

If Kyle was catching and playing LF I believe Jed would have paid him.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Another homerun for schwarber so far tonight

0046150A-9937-40A8-BECC-EA2812CACF71.jpeg

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Actually you can say that it has been a trend of Theo and Jed. Once Bryant came up it became a rush job. Get Schwarber up. Get Baez up. Get Soler up. Get Happ up. Winning window panic attack.

No closer sell Soler.

Retain Rizzo and Bryant. They are your brand. Invest into it. Baez is very risky. I wouldn't go over 4 years with him. I wouldn't pull opts on Jake or Joc. They both upscale and have not provided production to justify it.

There are smart decisions to make. Schwarber was a rush job because he was a basher that the team needed. What they should have done was what they did in the minors. Swapped Kyle and Wilson between LF and C. Let them caddy to a pitcher. Go from there.

So you would’ve preferred a long stretch of good versus a shorter stretch of great that brought a WS win?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He has played left field as well as most leftfielders in baseball. Why do people keep saying he has no position?

How many left fielders were better than him over the last three years? He absolutely positively was good enough to justify being in the lineup hitting 38 homers a year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

No closer sell Soler.

You still think he’s a catcher.
Unbelievable.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
He has played left field as well as most leftfielders in baseball. Why do people keep saying he has no position?

How many left fielders were better than him over the last three years? He absolutely positively was good enough to justify being in the lineup hitting 38 homers a year.

you’re preaching to the choir

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You still think he’s a catcher.
Unbelievable.

What I think is he was not given the opertunity to develop into one.

He was known for soft hands and a big arm as a catcher. The Cubs just saw his bat as MLB ready. The rest would be a project. They choose to rush him up. There is not much else to say about it.

2017:he struggled. Got sent back down and was a yo-yo

They did the same thing with Happ. Rushed him up then kicked him back. Now a struggling player.

When you make the same mistake over and over it is called insanity.

Now I am not saying that he would have been a all star quality catcher. But we never got to know what he could have been as one.

What we do know is as a LF he became expendable.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The original plan in 2016 was to have Kyle catch Jason Hammel. Thrvplan was Ross and Lester. Kyle and Hammel. Montero catches the rest. Kyle's leg bust derailed it. Wilson came up later and the gears shifted to him.

So it was really not this Kyle was no good as a catcher. Injury then the emergence of Wilson changed the game plan.

Regardless good for him. Let's see if he stays consistent.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Another point.

The Cubs have burnt through 3 back up catchers. 2 via injury. Both on the 60 day with arm strains.

I see this as inactive bench warmers come in one day a week and end up injuring themselves. Wilson plays nearly every day. Jed would be better off having the back up being a position player. Keep him game ready. Then have another with past catching experience as a emergency.

As is acback up catcher is a bench warmer. Not a good choice for a roster spot. It makes more sense to get a hitting catcher with OF experience and slot him in LF. Have him catch here and there when Wilson needs a off day. Then keep the bench used for off day rotations and PH. A back up catcher is not even useful here. Can't burn him.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Another point.

The Cubs have burnt through 3 back up catchers. 2 via injury. Both on the 60 day with arm strains.

I see this as inactive bench warmers come in one day a week and end up injuring themselves. Wilson plays nearly every day. Jed would be better off having the back up being a position player. Keep him game ready. Then have another with past catching experience as a emergency.

As is acback up catcher is a bench warmer. Not a good choice for a roster spot. It makes more sense to get a hitting catcher with OF experience and slot him in LF. Have him catch here and there when Wilson needs a off day. Then keep the bench used for off day rotations and PH. A back up catcher is not even useful here. Can't burn him.
Thatd be nice and all, but how many teams have a backup catcher playing another position every day? 0?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Thatd be nice and all, but how many teams have a backup catcher playing another position every day? 0?

Most teams don't have a studd like Wilson either. Sucks to be them.