Scout: UNC's Mitch Trubisky is 'top two or three' draft pick

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is the original article, the one in the OP is a rewrite, fyi:

2017 Draft Defined By Depth

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/10/nfl-draft-depth-talent-prospects-notebook

But we’ll start with where the focus is for a lot of teams this week—looking forward to the draft. With plenty of teams in the midst of integrating coaches into the process, and meetings getting going, I called around in search of the defining characteristics of this year’s draft class with less than three weeks until the combine kicks off.

The first one that stuck out was the overall strength of the class. Here are six more …

• Mitch Trubisky is the leader among quarterbacks. There are two knocks on Trubisky: 1) Scouts aren’t sure how tall he’ll measure out, and 2) he only started one year at North Carolina, unable to beat out Marquise Williams before that. Taking that into account, Trubisky’s anticipation, accuracy, touch and experience with progression reads put him atop the class.

“I’ll be shocked if Trubisky’s not the first one off the board,” said our AFC exec. A scout for another AFC team added, “You’re gonna see the ascension of the Carolina quarterback. He’s the guy, a top-two or -three pick. He’s the guy. A lot of teams like him up there.”

So here’s the question: Are you comfortable taking an Andy Dalton or Teddy Bridgewater in the top five? The truth is, Trubisky’s promise is in offering a team stability—but not necessarily superstardom—at the most important position.

• You’re projecting with the rest of the QBs. One AFC college scouting director told me that DeShaun Watson is at least a year away from being able to run an NFL offense, and DeShone Kizer is two years away. Ex-Texas Tech teammates Patrick Mahomes and Davis Webb (who transferred to Cal) have talent, but both come from schemes that complicate their NFL transition. (Think Jared Goff.)

You’ll hear this is a bad quarterback draft. I’ve heard it from some people, and I’ve heard from others that it’s not as terrible as advertised. “It’s a good quarterback class,” said our NFC exec. “Realistically, all five of those guys go in the first two rounds.”

If that happens, it wouldn’t exactly be unprecedented, but that doesn’t happen every year. There have been five occasions (2014, ’12, ’11, ’07, ’06) since 2000 where five quarterbacks went inside the first two rounds, and only one (2011) where the number was higher than that.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Love this...In the last few weeks we've been told what a bad QB draft class this is and in the last hour we have two threads posted...One about how Trubisky is a top 2-3 pick and the other about how Kizer was seen as an immediate starter and SB type QB by an NFL GM a year ago.

BAD QB CLASS THO'!

Same every year. Like its not even hyperbole. Every fucking year. In January/February all the QB prospects are terrible. From April on, there's at least one super stud and two other great prospects. Its like fucking clockwork.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he's 6'1 as rumored, I don't see how he goes top 5. Or even top 10. He's a one year starter, who played in a read option offense. He looked terrible against Stanford. He has flashed elite QB talent but how long before he's a quality NFL starter? If he goes to a team that expects him to start in year 1 or 2 he will be a bust. There's no way he's ready to play in the NFL. 13 starts in college. I can't think of a single successful QB with that little college experience other then Cam Newton, but Newton is a physical marvel, and did start a for two years albeit at a very low level college.

Not being able to think of something isn't evidence of shit. Just saying.

Theres all kinds of shit I don't know or don't understand. That isn't evidence of a goddamn thing except my own ignorance. So, yeah.

Luke

Liked Posts:
this says it all.

So here’s the question: Are you comfortable taking an Andy Dalton or Teddy Bridgewater in the top five? The truth is, Trubisky’s promise is in offering a team stability—but not necessarily superstardom—at the most important position.

• You’re projecting with the rest of the QBs. One AFC college scouting director told me that DeShaun Watson is at least a year away from being able to run an NFL offense, and DeShone Kizer is two years away. Ex-Texas Tech teammates Patrick Mahomes and Davis Webb (who transferred to Cal) have talent, but both come from schemes that complicate their NFL transition. (Think Jared Goff.)

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this says it all.

I agree with the Dalton comparison.

Luke

Liked Posts:
They will all need time, no team wants another Goff situation. Lynch went 26th last year coming from another simple spread offense and still needs time.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They will all need time, no team wants another Goff situation. Lynch went 26th last year coming from another simple spread offense and still needs time.

What makes them think Kizer is 2 years away? He ran the closest to a pro offense.

Luke

Liked Posts:
What makes them think Kizer is 2 years away? He ran the closest to a pro offense.

yes he ran some as it was more of a hybrid. As I said in the Kizer thread, if a team was to take one of theses qb's top 3, I would bet on Kizer due to the prototypical size and arm and would add his hybrid experience as well.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
who ever we draft we need to start, plain and simple.. this waiting a year or two is BS.... if that is the plan lets just draft Hooker and trade out of the first round altogether in order to pick the best prospect in 2018 i.e. Luke Falk! Why wait a year and go into the 2018 offseason with at least 3 or 4 good prospect available and wee still don't know what we got.. If the consensus is Mitch is the safest pick and the most likely to start day one that should be the pick..... If you are truly content with picking someone this year and sitting him for 8 games? or the entire season then Mahomes is your guy, package the 2nd and 4th and take him in the bottom of the first.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This would make me very happy, Trubisky@3

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Trubisky could be a bust but he's not like either of those guys. He can throw deep, get it there in a hurry if needed and simply has more arm talent than those 2 coming out of college. He's also more mobile and stronger at this juncture. Physically, he's less limited coming into the draft. Doesn't mean he'll succeed but the compare just seems odd. I could say he compares to Rodgers just as easily with his build, mobility and arm but that sort of thing is cheap.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Trubisky could be a bust but he's not like either of those guys. He can throw deep, get it there in a hurry if needed and simply has more arm talent than those 2 coming out of college. He's also more mobile and stronger at this juncture. Physically, he's less limited coming into the draft. Doesn't mean he'll succeed but the compare just seems odd. I could say he compares to Rodgers just as easily with his build, mobility and arm but that sort of thing is cheap.

I really see his upside as Andy Dalton. They were both accurate passers in College. Both good arms but not rocket arms. Both ran well in college. Both had/have the same critique, questionable upside.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube_share;vdu2Y1oG898]https://youtu.be/vdu2Y1oG898[/video]

PolarBear

Liked Posts:

I have refrained from going there but I think you and I see the same sort of things...

I see a little but of Rodgers in the kid. With his arm, mobility, pocket presence and quick release. I will get murdered for even mentioning it.

Trubisky's arm is better than Dalton's. No question.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not trying to bash Trubisky but I strongly disagree with the scout who says he is less a project than Watson and Kizer. 13 starts says otherwise. One year wonder QB's are not NFL ready.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Not trying to bash Trubisky but I strongly disagree with the scout who says he is less a project than Watson and Kizer. 13 starts says otherwise. One year wonder QB's are not NFL ready.

Gee the guy on the CCS forum or an NFL scout? Who will I believe?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

A lot of mechanical issues with his feet and a lot of consistency issues with his throws.

He needs a physical technique and mental health reboot.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
It's not just the lack of experience, it's also the offense he plays in. It's a simple, read option offense that draws in linebackers and safeties and opens up easy passing lanes.

More importantly, he doesn't navigate the pocket. He takes a shotgun snap, throws it or drops back further and throws it. He rarely steps up in the pocket. He almost always throws from behind the pocket. In essence, he's a good thrower who does literally nothing required of an NFL quarterback.

Luke

Liked Posts:
It's not just the lack of experience, it's also the offense he plays in. It's a simple, read option offense that draws in linebackers and safeties and opens up easy passing lanes.

More importantly, he doesn't navigate the pocket. He takes a shotgun snap, throws it or drops back further and throws it. He rarely steps up in the pocket. He almost always throws from behind the pocket. In essence, he's a good thrower who does literally nothing required of an NFL quarterback.

13 starts in a simple spread, possibly not 6'2, does literally nothing required of an NFL quarterback -- yeah he's top 3 material.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Only shot Trubisky has of going top 3 is if he is at least 6'2" and some good change.

Has there ever been a QB under 6'2" that has went top 5 or 10?