Status
Not open for further replies.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The season is 6 months away.

Italy is 10 times worse and just yesterday they said they were going to start Serie A back up on May 3rd.

European soccer leagues are finishing up the end of their season. It's much more of a problem to cancel a season that's already 80% played than it is to delay or cancel the beginning of a new one. These games will likely be played behind closed doors.

Euro 2020 is cancelled and if this is still going on by the end of summer, there won't be a new soccer season starting either.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Nonsense. 6 weeks ago he was alerting the country and Liberals were calling him an alarmist and racist
I don't care to argue if the president is good or bad. On Feb 28th I watched the president say in response to democratic criticize that "this is their new hoax." and on March 9th he tweeted "So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!", which I'm reading both as him downplaying the seriousness of the pandemic.

During that same timeline the number of cases world wide were escalating, Iran and Italy were shitting their pants about their health care systems capacity being overrun.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I don't think that's the right conclusion to draw.

Italy, like the US, is actually starting to get a grasp what it's exact numbers are. The 4,207 new confirmed cases as of yesterday should not be looked at as that many cases are brand new, but rather of the people infected (serious or mild) they conducted a bunch of tests and that's the number they were able to confirm. It would be almost impossible at this point to figure out where people are within the 1-14 day incubation period.

One thing is clear, the self quarantine is the best defense to avoid healthcare capacities being stretched at this time. Then again, this is still the attitude.

Once you go to day 15 and beyond, all those infections then occurred after lockdown. If true infections during lockdown rise over a period each day in let’s say a week or so, then that means it’s not working. So if numbers are still going up day 21, I would say that strategy did not work for them.

Doesn’t mean it won’t work here. We have things in our favor that they don’t. Less population density here, high health care ratings (how effectively you are treated that is, I am not comparing systems), people here don’t have it engrained into their culture to greet with kisses like a lot of European countries. And they have a much older population than here which means higher rate of serious issues unfortunately.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
European soccer leagues are finishing up the end of their season. It's much more of a problem to cancel a season that's already 80% played than it is to delay or cancel the beginning of a new one. These games will likely be played behind closed doors.

Euro 2020 is cancelled and if this is still going on by the end of summer, there won't be a new soccer season starting either.
They are in the same situation as basketball and hockey here.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Agreed! Wishful thinking in the extreme, 400+ deaths a day currently
It’s not like they originally made that prediction when the outbreak started and they have not backed off.

They suspended the league indefinitely and then just yesterday said they wanted to start again on May 3rd.

There is a huge difference.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was not a trump fan at all but to be completely honest I’m really impressed by him right now. He’s listening to the experts and lets them speak and make decisions.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They are in the same situation as basketball and hockey here.

Multi-billion dollar organizations like the Premier League and the NBA can absorb the cost of playing games behind closed doors for a while, and they still have the TV money. It's the lower league clubs in these soccer leagues who rely on ticket sales to stay solvent who are going to suffer.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Once you go to day 15 and beyond, all those infections then occurred after lockdown. If true infections during lockdown rise over a period each day in let’s say a week or so, then that means it’s not working. So if numbers are still going up day 21, I would say that strategy did not work for them.

Doesn’t mean it won’t work here. We have things in our favor that they don’t. Less population density here, high health care ratings (how effectively you are treated that is, I am not comparing systems), people here don’t have it engrained into their culture to greet with kisses like a lot of European countries. And they have a much older population than here which means higher rate of serious issues unfortunately.
You also have to measure the quality and effectiveness of your quarantine. Not all cultures look at quarantine the same. For example in China they put speakers on streets reminding people to stay in their homes and letting them know they would be arrested if they did not comply. From a cultural perspective I don't think Italians or Americans would fall in line that easily.

We are also learning how long the virus can remain on metal, cardboard and plastic and still be considered transferable. When you say 'Italy has been in quarantine for 14 days' does that mean no materials have transferred hand in that time, meaning no garbage or recycling has left people's houses?

You look at the extremely touching video of Italian people all playing instruments from their patios while in quarantine and it's a great show of humanity wanting to still be connected, but is that really an effective quarantine? Gotta think whomever has any kind of a horn is spraying spit particles to whomever is beneath them.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
To clarify: are they (Serie A) discussing resuming their postponed season, or starting a new season?

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
@Chicago Staleys assured us the coronavirus was overblown & nothing to worry about.

over 30,000 people died last year from the Flu.

China is reporting no new local contamination 4 months after the outbreak.

As I said before, talk to me in 4 months. Influenza will continue to kill more of the worlds population then COVID-19 will ever touch annually.

Last edited:

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’s not like they originally made that prediction when the outbreak started and they have not backed off.

They suspended the league indefinitely and then just yesterday said they wanted to start again on May 3rd.

There is a huge difference.
So maybe they could wait until there isn’t 400+ deaths a day in their country before pulling dates out of their arse. This thing is moving way too fast to be fucking around like that

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Was not a trump fan at all but to be completely honest I’m really impressed by him right now. He’s listening to the experts and lets them speak and make decisions.
I find Trump is such a polarizing figure where many can get the same basic information, but derive very different conclusions. In this situation I think it's best to just remove whomever the politician or political party is and focus on what each individual can do.

For me it's simple. Wash your hands, avoid touching your face and avoid an large gatherings. International travel is no longer an option, so I guess there's one less item you have to avoid.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
over 30,000 people died last year from the Flu.

China is reporting no new local contamination 4 months after the outbreak.

As I said before, tall to me I’m 4 months. Influenza will continue to kill more of the worlds population then COVID-19 will ever touch annually.
Projections in the UK with no social distancing were in the hundreds of thousands. That’s with a population about 1/6th of the US

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
You also have to measure the quality and effectiveness of your quarantine. Not all cultures look at quarantine the same. For example in China they put speakers on streets reminding people to stay in their homes and letting them know they would be arrested if they did not comply. From a cultural perspective I don't think Italians or Americans would fall in line that easily.

We are also learning how long the virus can remain on metal, cardboard and plastic and still be considered transferable. When you say 'Italy has been in quarantine for 14 days' does that mean no materials have transferred hand in that time, meaning no garbage or recycling has left people's houses?

You look at the extremely touching video of Italian people all playing instruments from their patios while in quarantine and it's a great show of humanity wanting to still be connected, but is that really an effective quarantine? Gotta think whomever has any kind of a horn is spraying spit particles to whomever is beneath them.
Different cultures will abide by a lockdown differently. It's like comparing trying to keep an alaskian husky in a studio apartment vs a terrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.