Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
sounds like a semi-demotion with an incentive to get the title associate HC

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would rather the new HC bring in someone with more experience as a DC. (Fangio, cough, Fangio, cough)
the main question is, does Eberflus even want to keep him around, I'd tell him not to let the door hit his ass on the way out

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hopefully for Seattle’s sake, Desai either finds a better way to teach the nuances of his defense, or has smarter players to coach. Otherwise they’ll be giving up huge pass plays all year due to missed/blown assignments.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
Yeah it is clear the guy is respected across the league despite what the meatballs say. Also interviewed with Vikes, Dolphins, and Giants I believe.
He would been hired as a DC at the very least, if he was respected. It’s a demotion, they’re giving him the benefit of the doubt.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He would been hired as a DC at the very least, if he was respected. It’s a demotion, they’re giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Associate Head Coach is a demotion now?

Last edited:

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, he didn’t.

Not even kinda sorta???

I honestly have no idea what is up with that wacky title Carroll gave him, but remy's thread was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw it on Twitter.

I am happy to see him still employed. He did pretty well as a rookie coordinator and this looks like a good opportunity to better himself as a coach.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
@pablovi and @Enasic you have started threads asking to have your accounts deleted but here you are, posting. Could you try being a little less dramatic?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
All along, the 38-year old Desai has been Seattle's coveted target. Though he never has worked under Carroll previously, he spent the past nine seasons in Chicago ascending the coaching ladder from defensive quality control coach to safeties coach to eventually becoming the first Indian-American defensive coordinator in NFL history. He managed to achieve this feat while surviving three head coaching changes in the Windy City.

Though the Bears finished in the bottom third of the NFL in scoring defense and turnovers created in Desai's lone season as defensive play caller, they finished sixth in total yardage allowed, third in passing yards allowed, first in pressure percentage, and fourth in sacks. Making those last two numbers all the more remarkable, he didn't have star pass rusher Khalil Mack or defensive tackle Akiem Hicks available for a combined 18 games.

How did Desai accomplish this? Still having a healthy Robert Quinn available certainly helped, but he did a fantastic job of incorporating stunts and blitz packages to maximize on his remaining personnel and turn up the heat on opposing signal callers, which in turn helped take pressure off of a secondary that dealt with several injuries of their own during the season.

Interestingly, the Bears managed to rank in the top five in sacks and pressure rate while playing extensive two-deep safety coverages, as Desai's prior connections with esteemed defensive guru Vic Fangio were evident schematically. Per TruMedia, the Bears dialed up Cover 6 on 18.6 percent of their snaps, second behind only Fangio's Broncos. They also ran Cover 2 and Cover 4 "middle of field open" coverages on nearly 10 percent of their defensive snaps.