Seems Like Nagy's Can't Teach

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To me, this is looking like Nagy's primary failing. Dude can't teach his players.

Watching the plays he runs, the concepts he tries to use, his scheme (as has become a meme around here) is solid. Good even. And its all shit plenty of other teams run. This shit isn't the problem.

The main issue is that his players can't run it.

If Nagy had a roster full of savvy veterans, the offense would likely produce very well. Problem is that this is the NFL. Players come and go. Nobody but maybe the Patriots have a ton of long term players. If the coach is going to run a complicated system, he has to be able to teach efficiently and this is where Nagy fails.

On almost any given play, there guys that don't what what is happening. What their keys are or how to read them. Dudes always fucking up and killing plays because they don't know what they are supposed to be doing. There has been a parade of players through Chicago that have failed basically cause they could never learn the O.

The shit Nagy runs is complicated, but plenty of other teams are able to deal with that. But under Nagy, just way too many guys that never learn the fuckin plays.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Not sure what you would call in his scheme solid.
Websters defines :

scheme

1 : a plan or program of action
2 : a systematic or organized configuration

Nagy collection of random plans is the antithesis of organized or a plan of action.

Literally, every criticism of him stems from his lack of any form of organization or plan. He just throws the cherry of undisciplined play on top for good measure.

Romo27

Liked Posts:
To me, this is looking like Nagy's primary failing. Dude can't teach his players.

Watching the plays he runs, the concepts he tries to use, his scheme (as has become a meme around here) is solid. Good even. And its all shit plenty of other teams run. This shit isn't the problem.

If Nagy had a roster full of savvy veterans, the offense would likely produce very well. Problem is that this is the NFL. Players come and go. Nobody but maybe the Patriots have a ton of long term players. If the coach is going to run a complicated system, he has to be able to teach efficiently and this is where Nagy fails.

On almost any given play, there guys that don't what what is happening. What their keys are or how to read them. Dudes always fucking up and killing plays because they don't know what they are supposed to be doing. There has been a parade of players through Chicago that have failed basically cause they could never learn the O.

The shit Nagy runs is complicated, but plenty of other teams are able to deal with that. But under Nagy, just way too many guys that never learn the fuckin plays.
Right. So, when he says his otherworldly system takes four years to learn, he's basically starting a freshman class every year. Probably half of the personnel have significant experience in the system, but the other half are starting from scratch. Another issue I picked up on was an interview with a player (I don't remember which one), who said that they spend all week practicing certain plays, but then those plays aren't part of the game plan on Sunday. That explains Nagy's constant refrain that Player A had a great week in practice, but it didn't translate to a great performance on Sunday. Maybe the things they practiced during that week weren't called during the game.

Trayhezy

Liked Posts:
Nagy's biggest problem is he has an extreme case of smartest-man-in-the-room syndrome.

Everything he does is trying to show how smart he is. We all have known people like this. Thinking that they are so smart that everything the say is overly complicated. Everything they do is to show someone something that they think the other person doesn't know.

Nagy's case is off the rails.

He can't teach because he makes everything more complicated than it should be.
He can't call plays because he is always trying to fool the defense.
He can't let anyone else take over calling the plays, because no one else can understand how he sees things.

He has yet to realize that NFL defensive coordinators are smarter than him, and have figured him out.
Other coaches know more about football than him.
NFL players know that no matter how much a guy can understand a concept it is no good if he cant execute it.

He is too smart (in his mind) to see the need to change and can not save himself, from himself.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
Bullshit idiots into hiring him and retaining him for 4 years.
Then he was a success! For him anyway. He’ll get fired here, and some other moron will get conned into hiring him….

kalmavet

Liked Posts:
While I agree he can't teach, his scheme doesn't properly sequence plays (also a play calling issue obviously) and is apparently outdated, so say the former qbs who have analyzed the all-22 film

GoBears

Liked Posts:
Actually, Nagy can't learn. It's the same unsuccessful shit over and over again.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He can't Head Coach when buried in his playsheet. Or at halftime. Or at the podium. Or when players need to be held accountable.
Or at all apparently.

Romo27

Liked Posts:
Nagy's biggest problem is he has an extreme case of smartest-man-in-the-room syndrome.

Everything he does is trying to show how smart he is. We all have known people like this. Thinking that they are so smart that everything the say is overly complicated. Everything they do is to show someone something that they think the other person doesn't know.

Nagy's case is off the rails.

He can't teach because he makes everything more complicated than it should be.
He can't call plays because he is always trying to fool the defense.
He can't let anyone else take over calling the plays, because no one else can understand how he sees things.

He has yet to realize that NFL defensive coordinators are smarter than him, and have figured him out.
Other coaches know more about football than him.
NFL players know that no matter how much a guy can understand a concept it is no good if he cant execute it.

He is too smart (in his mind) to see the need to change and can not save himself, from himself.
And he has a fellow smart dude in Ryan Pace. The guy who fooled the rest of the NFL by trading up to get that diamond in the rough, Mitch Trubisky.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't Teach, Don't Coach, what do you do?
Don't Teach, Don't Coach, what do you do?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Remember how Ron Turner clearly had a scheme where he was trying to establish the run to setup deep-ball play action for TDs?

Explain to me what Nagy's scheme is.

Are we trying to setup deep balls?

Are we trying to setup screens in the RZ?

Are we looking to establish long drives that tire out our opponent's defense?

Are we running packages designed to focus on top producers like ARob or Monty?

I agree he runs plays you see, they aren't bad plays.... but they aren't schemed together to form a cohesive strategy.

If I was trying to take a castle and I ran up with a ram one time and hit the gate, then ran away and came back and lobbed 3 rocks at the castle, then ran away and came back with one ladder and tried/failed to take the walls, then ran away and tried the ram again once.....

Would you call this a good scheme for taking the castle?

Or would you prefer....

I brought in the trebuchets and had them soften up the walls and gatehouse for an hour.

Then I brought in the ladders and charged the walls, creating a screen so we could ram the gate.

Then I brought up the ram, and began hammering away at the gate over and over until it broke open or my men on the walls were able to take said gate and open it.

This is where Nagy fails.