Seems Like Nagy's Can't Teach

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Explain to me what Nagy's scheme is.
Nagy's scheme was described well by someone on this board as "short and shot" - and is generally to use short passing and runs out of the RPO to force defenses up to set up deep passing.

One of the problems Nagy has though is he doesnt create all that many big opportunities deep and so he requires almost perfect execution on almost every play for this to work. When it does you have a game like Mitchs 6 TDs against TB, but more often than not it leads to games like the one against the Chargers, or NO in the playoffs where the team misses on early deep shots and so the opposing defense isnt punished for strangling the offenses short game - and just continues to successfully do that.

And then the biggest issue imo is exemplified by the IND game last year, and the CLE game this year - teams shutdown the run and short passing game, and also commit or are able to getting pressure on the QB preventing him from reliably hitting on intermediate or deep routes. This completely shuts down Nagy's scheme and he has shown to have 0 idea how to reliably adjust to that - and then he gets into the "throw shit against the wall to see if anything will work" play selection that you noted.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
So wtf can he do?
He takes the TPS reports upstairs so the others don't have to. Look what do you not understand? He deals with the people so the engineers dont have to. He has people skills!

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I think it’s been discussed before, but he can’t teach because he doesn’t actually understand the Reid offense. He just copies it. Therefore he can’t communicate what is going on to the players running it.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think it’s been discussed before, but he can’t teach because he doesn’t actually understand the Reid offense. He just copies it. Therefore he can’t communicate what is going on to the players running it.
So why the blue fuck was he hired? I mean what did pace ask him; STAR interview questions?

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Trubisky couldn’t run the Nagy (Reid) offense and Nagy either couldn’t run anything but his offense or could, but was so stubborn he’d never stick to it or acted like it pained him. Fields maybe could have eventually. Its moot now though.

mecha

Liked Posts:
the "system" had flashes of success. like mixing in running the ball instead of throwing 52 times a game. and then sitting the RB immediately after the 13 yard gain. sounds like some kind of insecurity thing where "derp, my passing attack isn't working as well, I'll sit him and keep trying to pass". I'll bring up the fact that certain players acted like undisciplined jackoffs. that kind of shit didn't happen under Lovie Smith. you might wind up in his doghouse or something instead. my point is a lot of games were well within control of winning, he just had to be a stubborn shitdick and blow it repeatedly.

my only concern is with GEORGE at the helm it's going to be the same thing for the 4th time in a row now.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
On a basic level he just looked like he was trying to be really clever all the time but didn’t really know what he was doing. Like someone who has bullshitted their way into a job, which in fairness he probably did.

I think those who highlighted how little playcalling he’d done (a small sample size which included a high profile failure in the playoffs) were right to be concerned.

People wanted a Kansas City style offence, Nagy talked a good game and in fairness seems a good guy himself as a character so management bought into him. A lot of people bought into him.

I think he’s ok as a leader - where he failed miserably was his offence, he is a really bad play caller. I mean he can’t do it at all, it was a shambles.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This.
His biggest problem is opponents (and fans)can sense what comes next. That’s a death for an offense that is supposed to be run/pass surprise.
He spent 3.5 of 4 years being one dimensional. The patriots tanked with purpose and it took them one year to be able to defend and run the ball. With Mac Jones falling to them one more and they can pass a bit too.
While I agree he can't teach, his scheme doesn't properly sequence plays (also a play calling issue obviously) and is apparently outdated, so say the former qbs who have analyzed the all-22 fi

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Guys like Nagy, and after last Sunday night we can probably include Brandon Staley in this, try to overcomplicate what is a very simple game.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Guys like Nagy, and after last Sunday night we can probably include Brandon Staley in this, try to overcomplicate what is a very simple game.

I'd disagree only in the use of the word "try".

Otherwise, spot fucking on.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
a bubble screen attack supplemented with a dose of heavy spead curls using 4.3 wrs.. topped off with 3rd and short shotgun runs... mixed in with 4th and 1 triple te reverses.... some next level trestman shit

Last edited:

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Been saying off and one that he doesn't really progress players. Nagy has some good skills of a coach, you hope in his second shot he has more of them.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Nagy doesn't even practice plays they run in the game. Kind of an issue. What's the point of practice then? Dude probably could be a pretty good coach if he wasn't trying too hard to be smarter than everyone else.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Beware the wunderkind coordinator who climbs his way up on the coattails of what is really someone else's scheme. You get one good season out of them until the body of tape exists, and then they can't adjust. Because they never had to. Someone else always did it for them.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Beware the wunderkind coordinator who climbs his way up on the coattails of what is really someone else's scheme. You get one good season out of them until the body of tape exists, and then they can't adjust. Because they never had to. Someone else always did it for them.
A lot of guys do that though. I mean, climb the coat tails of someone else's scheme. My problem with Nagy was that he didn't really have enough experience calling plays when the Bears hired him. Some coaches, like Tomlin & Harbaugh, are more motivators and find the right guys to put in place to run their respective schemes. But when you hire a guy like Nagy, he's supposed to know what he's doing in that aspect and he clearly didn't.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There wasn't anything that was learned about Nagy this year that wasn't painfully obvious after the 2020 season.

But at least Bill Polian....