Senior Bowl - practice news

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
DeVonta Smith weighed in at 170 at the combine and he was a top 10 overall pick. Mooney was like 170ish too if I remember correctly. 163 isn't crazy small for a speed WR.

Smith was 175 and 6 feet. Mooney was one 176 and 5-10. That is a huge difference in size at the NFL level relative to 5-8 and 163.

Jameson Williams was only 179 last season and Jordan Addison is around 174 now. Not sure where Smith or Williams are now, but I'd imagine they've smartly put on weight that hasn't affected speed. I suspect that could be the same for Dell.

6-1 and 179 is a world of difference to 5-8 and 163. You can add good pounds easily to a 6-1 frame. Doing so to a 5-8 frame is harder.

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Smith was 175 and 6 feet. Mooney was one 176 and 5-10. That is a huge difference in size at the NFL level relative to 5-8 and 163.

6-1 and 179 is a world of difference to 5-8 and 163. You can add good pounds easily to a 6-1 frame. Doing so to a 5-8 frame is harder.
Sounds like Smith and Williams had even more slender frames than Dell then.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sounds like Smith and Williams had even more slender frames than Dell then.

They did which also means they could add more weight and they are bigger. Dell wouldnt be allowed to fight them in a boxing match as he is 2 weight classes smaller. That is a huge difference at the low end of size in the NFL.

You talking guys that are in bottom 3rd percentile in terms of height and weight versus a guy who would ne on the bottom 1% and literally may be the smallest guy in the NFL period.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They did which also means they could add more weight and they are bigger. Dell wouldnt be allowed to fight them in a boxing match as he is 2 weight classes smaller. That is a huge difference at the low end of size in the NFL.

You talking guys that are in bottom 3rd percentile in terms of height and weight versus a guy who would ne on the bottom 1% and literally may be the smallest guy in the NFL period.
Robert Schmitz of Windy City Gridiron provided stats for WRs under 5'10 and 165 lbs drafted since 2000. WRs in that category have produced a total of 19 catches, 304 yards, and 1 touchdown. That's all WRs at that size combined for 2 decades of play.

The whole podcast is worth a listen but the Tank Dell conversation starts at ~ 7:15 min.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
No, but if he’s still around in the 4th I’d consider it
Agreed. Unless they get another 3rd, there'd be too many good players on the board with the 1st pick in round 3 to take a back up qb. I'd love him with one of the 4ths though. I think he can be a really good back up that gets value in a trade down the road

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Lets get a Tackle, Guard, and Center in this draft. There are enough good prospects that Poles really can give the team a big push forward with this kind of investment.
You DO know that the Bears got multiple tackles, guards and a center in the 2022 draft, don't you?

I do agree with you that it would be a big push forwards, but most offensive linemen coming in are still going to probably need a whole offseason after the 2023 season to get up to speed. Hopefully, the 2022 offensive linemen have a significant jump in preparedness to make the big push even bigger.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

Good thing he is 6'1"!

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
This is not Senior Bowl related but draft related. Oklahoma had 25% of the starting lineman in the NFC Championship and AFC Championship games. Their OL coach always spits out good lineman. OT Anton Harrison is a guy to watch in the draft.
I would love to get him, he sounds just like what we need.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
The Athletic on Darnell Wright (RT) from UT:

Wright has been one of the best offensive linemen this week. He and American squad teammates O’Cyrus Torrence(Florida) and Matthew Bergeron(Syracuse) all have had very nice moments. Wright was able to catch the country’s eye this fall with a terrific showing vs. Alabama’s Will Anderson Jr., and he has only gotten better since. The arrow is pointed firmly up on the Tennessee big man.

@knoxville7
Why does the first line say "UT"?