Seven first-year NFL officials among 2018 class

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The NFL roster of game officials for the 2018 season will include seven first-year NFL officials among the group of 121, the league announced today.
Field judge Land Clark (Pac-12), field judge Matt Edwards (Big Ten), side judge Chad Hill (SEC), field judge Anthony Jeffries (SEC), back judge Tony Josselyn (SEC), line judge Mark Stewart (Big 12) and field judge Don Willard (Big Ten) will make their NFL officiating debuts this season.

Four officials -- Shawn Hochuli, Alex Kemp, Clay Martin, and Shawn Smith -- have been promoted to referee for the upcoming season. Each of them were referees at the highest level of college football prior to entering the NFL at different positions and have been part of the NFL's Referee Training Program from their first season in the league.

Both Shawn Hochuli (Ed Hochuli) and Alex Kemp (Stan Kemp) are the sons of former NFL referees.

Two sets of fathers and sons are included among the roster of officials -- Walt Coleman, the dean of NFL officials entering his 30th season, and his son, Walt IV; and Steve Freeman and his son, Brad -- and three sets of brothers -- Allen and Rusty Baynes; Jeff and Jerry Bergman; and Carl, Dino & Perry Paganelli.

Steve Freeman and Phil McKinnely are the only current game officials to have also enjoyed NFL playing careers. Freeman played for 13 seasons, including 12 as a defensive back with the Buffalo Bills from 1975-86. McKinnely played for seven seasons on the offensive line from 1976-82, including five seasons with the Atlanta Falcons from 1976-80.

Click here for the complete 2018 NFL roster of officials, including crew assignments, which may change during the season due to injury, schedule conflicts, etc.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
The refs sucked last year. Hopefully with the new rules all that surviving the ground BS ends.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Who cares about the refs if the NY replay official overturn these called TDs.
zach2.0.gif

a few weeks later.
KB.0.gif

What makes it worse is this vid with the head of officials doubling down and pointing at not the ball.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/video-nfl-explains-why-zach-miller-didnt-catch-a-td-vs-saints/

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alberto Riveron is the guy, the Joe West wannabe of the NFL. Some bad calls from him around the league.

If the replay is not conclusive, don't change the call among other things.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
This was thread worthy? Really?

mecha

Liked Posts:
This was thread worthy? Really?

it's an improvement over basement dwelling wankers replying to the same 7 threads for the last 3 weeks. I know it's the offseason but CBMB was never that full scale Special person.

also fuck that NHL grade New York bullshit. I don't recall refs being such a problem until the last few years or lest they can't determine wtf a catch is.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
it's an improvement over basement dwelling wankers replying to the same 7 threads for the last 3 weeks. I know it's the offseason but CBMB was never that full scale Special person.

also fuck that NHL grade New York bullshit. I don't recall refs being such a problem until the last few years or lest they can't determine wtf a catch is.

I put it up because I thought that it was a high number of rookie officials coming into the league. Even though they have a strong background who knows what happens with these new guys come noon Sunday.

I like not hearing about questionable officiating, with the amount of blown calls hopefully the rookies won't be adding to it.