Shanahan gives a candid break down of the process that lead to Lance with Rich Eisen

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'd love to know where Lance would have ended up if the Niners didn't trade up. All of that draft capital for a guy that inexperienced.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
look, I like Shanny, respect his talent as a coach and all

but its kind of fuckin weird how he and Lynch are all over the media running their mouths about this draft

and they have this casual attitude about it like they are enjoying the celebrity

to me, that shit is not very smart. like keeping a rattle snake for a pet. Shit gains them nothing except the opportunity to get bit in the ass down the line.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I'd love to know where Lance would have ended up if the Niners didn't trade up. All of that draft capital for a guy that inexperienced.
Yeah same here. Another thing is Lance is only 20 years old. The whole thing is crazy. I do think that he went to absolutely the best place he could have in terms of coach/scheme/supporting cast.

I thought it was really fascinating hearing him speak on the RG3 draft and how his dad was gonna draft R. Wilson over Cousins.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Inexperience is one thing.. but the level of competition is an entirely different subject. And you just can't replicate it.

I feel that when you take a guy from a very small school, it almost like he is jumping 2 levels of competition.. like you are taking a high school prospect, because of game speed and talent differential.

And I could deal with all of that if you didn't give up the world to draft him. He has to be a pro-bowler. You gave up too much talent otherwise.

I would have taken Fields in that spot just because I know how he produced at a high level of competition. SF took an enormous risk on Lance.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Kyle Shanahan says in this interview that they were convinced somebody else would move up for Trey Lance. The Dolphins at third overall seemed to have been auctioning off third overall, if you read between the lines of what he's saying.

Liked Posts:
For as good as Shanahan is at coaching, I don’t think he’s that great at picking QBs. It’s a great situation for Lance, but I think the Niners will end up regretting their decision to move up. They could’ve had him much later if they wanted him. Miami fleeced them.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Shanny sounds alot like Pace did a few years ago with Trubs. Loved the player. Afraid somebody would jump them.

The inexperience of youth...

As a GM, you just have to let picks go in front of you and be willing to miss on your man. Otherwise you are going to overpay. Pace patiently waited and so did Belicheck.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Interesting that he said it was important for him not to fall in love with the guy before falling in love with the tape. At that point you'd probably try to fall in love with the tape as well. I think Pace fell in love with Trubisky before truly falling in love with the tape.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The 49ers decision making was a mess, and the media is giving them a pass based on perception that Shanahan is the smartest guy in the room. Pace would be getting killed for that interview.

They love Jimmy but struggled to win without him so they had to mortgage the future for a player who isn't ready to compete? Shanahan needs to get his lies straight.

He's all in on a massive projection because he has no faith in Jimmy G to win the Super Bowl even when healthy. And what he needs to ask himself is why his team's can't hold a lead to close out a Super Bowl.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Shanny sounds alot like Pace did a few years ago with Trubs. Loved the player. Afraid somebody would jump them.

The inexperience of youth...

As a GM, you just have to let picks go in front of you and be willing to miss on your man. Otherwise you are going to overpay. Pace patiently waited and so did Belicheck.

you have to feel out what the other teams are looking for and decide when you have to wait and when you need to make a move and there is plenty of luck involved too...

pace felt strongly that cleveland was going to trade back up to take trubisky which was revealed in hue jackson's book had he not blocked the move by ownership...sitting back and waiting does not always work out...look at the vikings who wanted fields, the giants likely wouldnt have traded back had the eagles not traded up for smith, if that doesnt happen, fields ends up with the vikes most likely...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shanny feels great about his coaching skills to coach up Lance......

Nelly

Liked Posts:
About 3 minutes into it, Shanny talks about how much he came to like Trey Lance the person. Sounds a lot like Pace falling in love with Trubisky.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
In hindsight I just can't see a team trading up to take lance. Being that no one touched Fields until 11, it seems like San Francisco could have waited a while to move up. The bears were never going to take Lance with fields on the board. It's a head scratcher. We'll know in a few years but I bet they end up looking more like Pace '17 than Pace '21.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get that Lance was a top 10 pick for teams in a position to take him. The trade up is what's baffling.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
He wanted to say conviction so bad he could taste it.

Perspective

Liked Posts:
look, I like Shanny, respect his talent as a coach and all

but its kind of fuckin weird how he and Lynch are all over the media running their mouths about this draft

and they have this casual attitude about it like they are enjoying the celebrity

to me, that shit is not very smart. like keeping a rattle snake for a pet. Shit gains them nothing except the opportunity to get bit in the ass down the line.

these r the same guys who picked garopollo and also missed out on mahomes and Watson

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
3 1st round picks for this guy

C'mon. What stands out to me with Lance is his terrible footwork. Notice how he goes flat footed and spreads his feet far apart before throwing? The more you watch Lance, the less impressive he is. And there's not much to watch. He also consistently misses wide open receivers. Honestly, he looks like Tim Tebow. One read then run. So often.

I feel like a broken record, but I'd be shocked if there was a single example of a successful NFL QB who threw for 200 yards in less than a quarter of his college starts. 17 games. 4 200 yard passing games.