Shifting to an Offensive Identify?

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
When you think of the Chicago Bears several things come to mind; Walter Payton, historically inept QB play and DEFENSE! Defense has been the heart, soul and lifeblood of the organization. Justin Fields has the potential to be a top 5 QB in the league in the next 3 years or so. In order to get him there you need to develop his skill set but you also need to surround him with a rock solid O-line and weapons at the skill/speed positions. This requires drafting, trading for, signing and allocating much of your money on the offensive side of the ball. This also means your defense will get less of all of those things.

Do you guys see the Bears in the next five years moving to a team whose identity is the offensive side of the ball with a defense that may be good but never great? Think Green Bay, KC and New Orleans. Personally I think this is the way the organization needs to go. I LOVE watching Bears' defense (I mean my username on this board is 46!) but the modern game and recent rules changes all favor the offensive side of the ball. And now we have a a legitimate shot in Fields to have a top tier QB for the first time in my lifetime and I'm 49.

Would the fanbase be in favor of a team with an offensive identify and a defense that is mid-range? Will Pace proceed down this path? What say you?

Last edited:

greg23

Liked Posts:
When you think of the Chicago Bears several things come to mind; Walter Peyton, historically inept QB play and DEFENSE! Defense has been the heart, soul and lifeblood of the organization. Justin Fields has the potential to be a top 5 QB in the league in the next 3 years or so. In order to get him there you need to develop his skill set but you also need to surround him with a rock solid O-line and weapons at the skill/speed positions. This requires drafting, trading for, signing and allocating much of your money on the offensive side of the ball. This also means your defense will get less of all of those things.

Do you guys see the Bears in the next five years moving to a team whose identity is the offensive side of the ball with a defense that may be good but never great? Think Green Bay, KC and New Orleans. Personally I think this is the way the organization needs to go. I LOVE watching Bears' defense (I mean my username on this board is 46!) but the modern game and recent rules changes all favor the offensive side of the ball. And now we have a a legitimate shot in Fields to have a top tier QB for the first time in my lifetime and I'm 49.

Would the fanbase be in favor of a team with an offensive identify and a defense that is mid-range? Will Pace proceed down this path? What say you?
knowing the bears and the way they react; in 3-5 years the NFL will somehow be all about defense

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
The Bears’ identity has traditionally been toughness and nastiness on both sides of the ball. Something they haven’t been on the offensive side for years now. This draft sent a message that’s going to change.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I wasn't for switching to an offensive team when it was promised after Grossman, but I saw it was needed to compete in the NFL. I've been waiting for it ever since. We've only saw a tiny glimpse of it with Trestman.

As much as I love a good 3-0 win against a high power offense those days are over until the rules change back (and they won't).

Bust

Liked Posts:
The Bears’ identity has traditionally been toughness and nastiness on both sides of the ball. Something they haven’t been on the offensive side for years now. This draft sent a message that’s going to change.

Better late then never since the league rules favor the offense. Perfect timing as well with Fields on board.

Even this would be a defensive highlight back in the day. These days it's a penalty and game misconduct.

Last edited:

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I think Nagy would say that we do have an Offensive Identity (the Nagy Offense of course, duh), but we havent had the personnel to run it. And that worries me a bit - we saw the last 2 years how bad the "Nagy offense scaled down to what the idiot QB can handle" is, for a talent like Fields we need an offensive built around accenting his strengths and hiding his weaknesses. Not just "what can he handle" from a system meant for a different kind of QB. I'm optimistic that Nagy will try his best to do this, because I think its obvious to everyone in the city that there will be no power struggle, Fields will be part of the Franchises short/medium term future (and long if hes as good as advertised) and if Nagy cant make it work then he can hit the road.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
neither was confused a great identity. How could Nagy continue using Holtz at FB to block? So fucking stubborn.

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
When you think of the Chicago Bears several things come to mind; Walter Peyton, historically inept QB play and DEFENSE! Defense has been the heart, soul and lifeblood of the organization. Justin Fields has the potential to be a top 5 QB in the league in the next 3 years or so. In order to get him there you need to develop his skill set but you also need to surround him with a rock solid O-line and weapons at the skill/speed positions. This requires drafting, trading for, signing and allocating much of your money on the offensive side of the ball. This also means your defense will get less of all of those things.

Any fan who isn't is a fan of a shift to offense is a fan of being consistently mediocre.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Pace is only doing what he originally claimed when he was hired . Thats why people put up with 2016 and was okay with the losing because thought we was shifting to an offense and the basically he drafted Mitch and then claimed victory by trading for Mack (who I love ) but threw a wrench into the entire plan to shift .

Now here we are at the crossroads again and I hope this time he doesn't stop adding and building an offense until it actual shows it is elite on the field not because he just believes it is on paper

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Looking at the highlights it seems both oline taken are fatbois. Hopefully that's a change in identity and we don't run them out of energy trying to make them "athletic".
Athletic is nice but a 2000lb muscle car isn't going to stop a 10 ton train.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I don't think Nagy knows what kind of offense he's running. Like I've said b4, one thing is for sure, Nagys offense doesn't score points

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I don't think Nagy knows what kind of offense he's running. Like I've said b4, one thing is for sure, Nagys offense doesn't score points

Most teams in the NFL try to score a lot of points, half of them lose. Scoring points is for losers.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
When you think of the Chicago Bears several things come to mind; Walter Payton, historically inept QB play and DEFENSE! Defense has been the heart, soul and lifeblood of the organization. Justin Fields has the potential to be a top 5 QB in the league in the next 3 years or so. In order to get him there you need to develop his skill set but you also need to surround him with a rock solid O-line and weapons at the skill/speed positions. This requires drafting, trading for, signing and allocating much of your money on the offensive side of the ball. This also means your defense will get less of all of those things.

so u were 13 when the Bears used the 46 D

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Most teams in the NFL try to score a lot of points, half of them lose. Scoring points is for losers.

Ok...well I'd like to see us put points on the board. :) I know, it's a crazy thought.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
We potentially drafted a franchise QB. We are not destine to become the Greatest Show on Turf.

Pump the brakes.

Good QBs get stuck on shit teams all the time. Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, Deshuan Watson. Aaron Rodgers has one SB ring.

Sheesh. We have a lot to prove.