Should fans worry over Justin Fields small hands?

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
When the weather turns in Chicago, and it becomes, wet, sleet bound and snow covered, should fans worry about his small hands? I know he played in Columbus, but does he have the hand dexterity/strength/coverage to combat the elements come fall/winter in Chicago with a larger NFL sized ball? Will this affect his ability to throw?

Aside from being able to grip and throw accurately in weather with smaller hands, should fans be concerned about fumbles with and without inclement weather?

Justin has already fumbled at least twice this offseason. He had 10 Fumbles while at OSU. Is this due to his hands being 9.125"? Rexs hands were larger at 9.25" but the man fumbled a lot too.

There was a study about hand size and fumbles, that hands sizes didnt matter. It showed guys with larger hands who fumbled a lot. Aside from Tom Savage @ 9.625" the highest fumble% were QBs with sub 9.25" hands

A couple of sub 9.25" QBs

Derek Carr @ 9.125'. Has had 63 Fumbles over his career. 9 per year
Jared Goff @ 9". He has fumbled 42 times over his career. 8.4 per year

Last edited:

Canth

Liked Posts:
Everything I have read is that most qb's think the shape and feel of the NFL ball is actually easier to hold and throw - that it feels more natural. I believe the overall dimensions are supposed to be basically the same between college and the NFL, but there are differences in the actual shape.

Also, as near as I can tell, he had 11 total fumbles at Ohio State, losing 5. Only 2 of those fumbles, losing 0, came in 2020. So yeah, I think that is not really going to be a major concern.

Geezer

Liked Posts:
That was a problem that a QB Minnesota drafted a few years had too! Can't recall his name but I think we "drafted" that
a--hole from UCLA in the same draft. Small hands! Just remembered - McClown and the Viking was Culpepper! The latter had a lot of fumbles as a QB, whichis why he might have "washed out".

Small hands also seeem to be the bane of WRs too, while big hands (over 10") are a "blessing". Remember Marty Booker? I recall him making a catch with his right hand BEHIND HIM on the right sideline! And he was a QB at one time too - with BIG HANDS

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Murray’s hand size measured in at 9 4/8, the sub 9 was just speculation. Michael Vick measured in at under 9.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Last edited:

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some put a lot of stock in hand size, and not just because of ball security. They believe that a better grasp of the ball means better accuracy. But there are not many actual numbers or data that actually back this belief up.

The only correlation I see in real life is that if you are of a smaller stature, you may benefit greatly from bigger hands. Both Russell Wilson and Drew Brees have massive hands. But then you can point to Michael Vick, who has tiny hands, to refute that view as well.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Some put a lot of stock in hand size, and not just because of ball security. They believe that a better grasp of the ball means better accuracy. But there are not many actual numbers or data that actually back this belief up.

The only correlation I see in real life is that if you are of a smaller stature, you may benefit greatly from bigger hands. Both Russell Wilson and Drew Brees have massive hands. But then you can point to Michael Vick, who has tiny hands, to refute that view as well.

Well Vick would consistently hold the ball in one hand well away from his body, not a wise decision

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
So as a fan, youre worried?

Mahomes is at that 9.25"

Burrow had 9 Fumbles in 10 games as a rookie

Burrow also had no Oline. Not concerned about Justin at all. While playing against elite competition in college the kid held onto the ball without any issues. Many of those same players he will now face in the Pros by the way. No, no worries at all.

How about that bomb Justin threw to Byrd last week? Many who were there say that the pass he threw TRAVELED 60 yards through the air —- think about that — 60 fricken yards through the air —- and hit its mark perfectly.

Do you recall how many of those we have flat missed over the past 3 years??? Deep passes that were not even close??? Game changing plays — poof! Gone

Fields is already making those type of throws. That is where my focus is...... on the positive

jts1207

Liked Posts:
Mopeds were 9.5 and couldn’t hit a barn

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
When the weather turns in Chicago, and it becomes, wet, sleet bound and snow covered, should fans worry about his small hands? I know he played in Columbus, but does he have the hand dexterity/strength/coverage to combat the elements come fall/winter in Chicago with a larger NFL sized ball? Will this affect his ability to throw?

Aside from being able to grip and throw accurately in weather with smaller hands, should fans be concerned about fumbles with and without inclement weather?

Justin has already fumbled at least twice this offseason. He had 10 Fumbles while at OSU. Is this due to his hands being 9.125"? Rexs hands were larger at 9.25" but the man fumbled a lot too.

There was a study about hand size and fumbles, that hands sizes didnt matter. It showed guys with larger hands who fumbled a lot. Aside from Tom Savage @ 9.625" the highest fumble% were QBs with sub 9.25" hands

Do you worry over your small prick or just deal?

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

The Bears rarely if ever play games in Bear weather. It's an extremely rare phenomena for the Bears to play in shitty weather. So this is just stupid.