Should Nagy be fired?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
yes when you see those flashes of brilliance, it shows you he's capable of doing it. It's up to the coaching staff to develop him so those flashes of brilliance happen more often. That's actually more an indictment of the coaching staff and Pace imo. They drafted him knowing full well that he needed more time than the other QBs to develop. They should have given him a QB coach and offensive guru who could develop him. We see Trubisky play much better in a Bills like offense, yet the coach refuses to consistently run an offense that helps his QB. Maybe slowly he will develop to becoming a great pocket passer like Brees/Wilson/Brady. None of these 3 QBs started on fire. They slowly got better.

Personally, I don't think Trubisky is ready right now. That's why I don't think he is the QB for a Nagy offense on a team that's in "win now" mode. Misses so many open receivers even when he has time to throw. Will he ever get better to the point where he can be average, depends on how he develops. If the Bears want to salvage this, Nagy should completely change his offense and call plays accordingly to help Trubisky and they need to get some QB guru in the offseason to help Trubisky develop faster. He needs to stop training with Goff in the offseason.

The NFL is littered with players that look good every once in while but can’t do it consistently.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am not absolving Trubisky, but a lot of people are saying its mostly his fault, which I disagree.

His QB rating in a clean pocket ranks 24 out of 26 QBs that qualify. It doesn't matter what offense you put him in, his biggest problem is that even when he has time, he still is not good enough. Last year he was 18 out of 30 (ie still below average) and the year before that he was 21st out of 29.

So yes the OL and the play calling are a problem but fundamentally we have a mental midget at QB that can't even execute when he has the time to do so and the right play call dialed up. This is the Wims play people have been talking about.

index.php

This is a basic read. I don't care what offense you design for the guy, he has to be able to make this read. This is Cover 2 and the CBs have trail technique. Miller is past his man but the safety (S1) on that side is just watching the QB so can cover close on Miller. Wims has one DB playing the MLB role dropping deep middle. S1 is again watching the QB and so can break on Wimms as well. The other deep safety (S2) has completely committed to Wims because ARob's route is delayed so S2 doesn't realize ARob is running deep as well.

So if you are watching Wims and seeing this unfold, the minute that S2 commits to Wims, you should know ARob is going to come free because the CB is going to pass him off expecting S2 to provide deep cover. Instead of reading this and throwing to ARob, Trubs still throws to Wims when 3 separate defenders are keyed on him. It is really inconceivable to me that a 3rd year QB still can't consistently read this play.

So yes the OL and Nagy suck but even when the OL blocks and Nagy dials up a good play, Trubs still can't consistently read it. Until the light bulb in his head cuts on, he is the biggest problem on O because he is incapable of taking advantage when the other two do in fact get it right.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I’ve only watched 5 games this year. In those 5 games we scored over 20 one time and that was the Cowboys game. This offensive scheme seems to be a joke. I cannot figure out the blocking schemes on the o-line. I know Trubisky sucks but it’s not just him. I think Nagy has been exposed. He was brought in to be some offensive genius and this offense is 30th in the league in scoring . I think last year was a product of a weak schedule and a dominant defense. So that’s my opinion what do the rest of you think.

It's obvious to many he doesn't believe in pro style offensive schemes.

Hes inovative, just not at the right times.

I loved how the game started against KC. He ran the ball, included mitch, was marching, then the fumble happended and he pulled the plan. You could see everything change right back to the RPO cohen offense.

That needs to be scraped completely. Only put Montgomery on the bench when he pulls himself out.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
His QB rating in a clean pocket ranks 24 out of 26 QBs that qualify. It doesn't matter what offense you put him in, his biggest problem is that even when he has time, he still is not good enough. Last year he was 18 out of 30 (ie still below average) and the year before that he was 21st out of 29.

So yes the OL and the play calling are a problem but fundamentally we have a mental midget at QB that can't even execute when he has the time to do so and the right play call dialed up. This is the Wims play people have been talking about.

index.php

This is a basic read. I don't care what offense you design for the guy, he has to be able to make this read. This is Cover 2 and the CBs have trail technique. Miller is past his man but the safety (S1) on that side is just watching the QB so can cover close on Miller. Wims has one DB playing the MLB role dropping deep middle. S1 is again watching the QB and so can break on Wimms as well. The other deep safety (S2) has completely committed to Wims because ARob's route is delayed so S2 doesn't realize ARob is running deep as well.

So if you are watching Wims and seeing this unfold, the minute that S2 commits to Wims, you should know ARob is going to come free because the CB is going to pass him off expecting S2 to provide deep cover. Instead of reading this and throwing to ARob, Trubs still throws to Wims when 3 separate defenders are keyed on him. It is really inconceivable to me that a 3rd year QB still can't consistently read this play.

So yes the OL and Nagy suck but even when the OL blocks and Nagy dials up a good play, Trubs still can't consistently read it. Until the light bulb in his head cuts on, he is the biggest problem on O because he is incapable of taking advantage when the other two do in fact get it right.

The offense was working very well when they ran and did traditional PA pass. That is a fact.

I don't what point you are trying to make as I have already said Trubisky needs work.

Nagy is the head coach and unless you are blind as a bat he is clearly trying to put a round peg into a square hole. He is inflexible and wants to run his offense no matter how bad it fails.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The offense was working very well when they ran and did traditional PA pass. That is a fact.

I don't what point you are trying to make as I have already said Trubisky needs work.

Nagy is the head coach and unless you are blind as a bat he is clearly trying to put a round peg into a square hole. He is inflexible and wants to run his offense no matter how bad it fails.

Now don't go insulting bats. They get around by radar/ biological sonar and do ok. ☺
As for Nagy...........?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

He was still missing obvious reads. It was just that the teams he played were bad enough that it did not matter.

The point I am making is Trubs has major fucking issues outside of Nagy. Nagy has major fucking issues outside of Trubs.

His inability to read never went away. QBs just tend to have natural ups and downs so he had a few ups but all the flaws were still there.

The issue is he is not getting better. You are simply asking Nagy to find better ways to hide him. Nagy should of course do that so long as he has Trubs but that is just putting lipstick on a pig rather than Trubs actually improving.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
No. He's been subpar this year, but I don't want the Bears to be that organization that shuffles through coaches every 2 years. He deserves a chance to get this turned around. As frustrating as this year was, the Bears were in every game and the players still seem to be responding to Nagy. This isn't the year 2, Marc Trestman shit show

And if Mitch can't turn things around, I'd like for Nagy to get an opportunity with a better QB

So Nagy gets year 3 with Trubisky again, and if Trubisky doesn't turn things around, give Nagy potentially years 4 and 5 with a new QB?

Just clean house. Pace, Nagy, Trubisky. Gone.

This wasn't a year where the ball just didn't bounce our way a few times which led to a disappointing 7-9 season(counting the Vikings game as a L). This wasn't just a down year. We've seen the identity of the Pace/Nagy/Trubisky led Chicago Bears. And it is fucking embarrassing. Pull the fucking plug. Lol.

Huge changes would need to be made in order to right this ship. The biggest changes would need to come from the front office and Nagy. Pace would have to strip Nagy's playcalling duties from him. That's not likely going to happen. Nagy would have to be willing to relinquish those duties and bring some new coaches in. Namely OL and an OC. Does anyone honestly have faith that Nagy would go against everything he wants to be and take a backseat to a new OC to put an offense together? And even if they let him keep the playcalling duties and we still used "his" offense, does anyone have faith that he could alter his offense enough to coddle Trubisky and run the ball more often? I have zero faith in either of those ideas.

The best course of action for this franchise to move forward, is to get rid of Pace, Nagy, and Trubisky. I just don't see another scenario that gets us to actually competing sooner.

Thedude

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm sorry. I don't think Mitch is very good, but I don't think Matt Nagy is either.

Nagy is a great leader of men. A horrible manager of clock/gametime decisions. And a horrible playcaller.

Just because he came from one of the greatest offensive minds in NFL history doesn't mean he is. What in his history actually shows he is elite? Like I stated, he was OC for the Chiefs for one season before we hired him. He only called plays the second half of the season. He is a major contributing factor for them losing a playoff game that year.

He's looking just as much fools gold as mitch is/was.
I don’t think he is all that great of a leader either. The way he handled the Parkey situation last year was cringeworthy. He doesn’t have the team prepared, and club dub is a joke. He is an ass hat

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
I think some Bears fans want to stick with the current team simply because the prospect of starting over seems rather disappointing.

"Here we go again..."

How many times do Bears fans say this phrase? The Bears were close in the Lovie era. Last year gave fans optimism.

Pace, Nagy, and Mitch all suffer from similar problems in that they were all relatively inexperienced coming into their positions. As with all things, experience is one of the best teaching tools available. Unfortunately, fans and the media want results more quickly and often do not extend a long leash these days to anyone.

To be honest, I am not sure what is the best course. I would like to give the organization time. Let the disappointment set in and figure out what retooling needs to happen in order to move the ball forward.

Make the adjustments at OL. Bring in some new offensive staff. Take the playcalling away from Nagy. That would do a great deal to make this team better.

meangreek

Liked Posts:
I cant trust them... sorry they all need to go! The best part of Pace trading up, you know someone else didn't get their guy.
They have to own it. Te, RB, G, C this is draft capital they didn't work.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I don’t think he is all that great of a leader either. The way he handled the Parkey situation last year was cringeworthy. He doesn’t have the team prepared, and club dub is a joke. He is an ass hat

I still don't understand why he centered the kicking competition around 43 yard field goals. What exactly was the logic there? What does it accomplish? Like Jay Feely and others have pointed out, you wouldn't have 9 QBs throwing the same pass over and over again because a similar play resulted in a season ending interception. I understand the concept of using a loss as motivation, but at some point it seems counterproductive to continuously remind the team how the previous season ended.

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think some Bears fans want to stick with the current team simply because the prospect of starting over seems rather disappointing.

"Here we go again..."

How many times do Bears fans say this phrase? The Bears were close in the Lovie era. Last year gave fans optimism.

Pace, Nagy, and Mitch all suffer from similar problems in that they were all relatively inexperienced coming into their positions. As with all things, experience is one of the best teaching tools available. Unfortunately, fans and the media want results more quickly and often do not extend a long leash these days to anyone.

To be honest, I am not sure what is the best course. I would like to give the organization time. Let the disappointment set in and figure out what retooling needs to happen in order to move the ball forward.

Make the adjustments at OL. Bring in some new offensive staff. Take the playcalling away from Nagy. That would do a great deal to make this team better.

All good points but....it all hinges on one position.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
I just want to see Nagy tailor his offense to fit Mitch. You know the offense I mean- the super magic offense that doesn't require the QB to complete forward passes. I think it's called the single wing.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He should be fired and this old article hit the nail on the head

Nagy not the safe bet for Pace

Bears general manager Ryan Pace could be risking his future by hiring Matt Nagy, who has no experience as a head coach. (Brian Cassella/Chicago Tribune )
Steve Rosenbloom

Say this for Ryan Pace: The Bears general manager is not playing it safe with his job.

Pace fired aging John Fox and went in the other direction to replace him. He went the way the Rams did with Sean McVay, who brought Jared Goff from bust to boss. It was a risk for the Rams. It’s a risk for the Bears. Pace’s new coach is not a hire based on getting another contract extension like the one he just received.

In fact, Pace’s hiring of Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy could mean Pace won’t even survive the end of the aforementioned two-year extension.

Nagy is 39 and never has been a head coach. After playing at the University of Delaware and quarterbacking in the Arena Football League, Nagy went to work for Andy Reid with the Eagles, then followed him to Kansas City.

He served as quarterbacks coach, helping Alex Smith to good years, then became offensive coordinator.

Reid gave Nagy playcalling duties the last five weeks of this season. The Chiefs averaged more than 28 points per game and went 4-1. Nagy also was the guy calling plays in the Chiefs’ terrible collapse in a home playoff game, and that’s part of the big gamble Pace is taking.

The Bears were able to interview Nagy last weekend because he couldn’t figure out how to get his offense to score in the second half of a playoff game at home. Reid refused to say who called plays in that bad second half, but if it was the head coach, I don’t know why he would be vague.

Recency bias can be a bad thing. Same goes for putting too much emphasis on one game. But this was a playoff game at home, people, and this was bad.

In a loss to the Titans, a team that planned to fire its coach if the game went the way the Chiefs’ 21-3 halftime lead suggested, Nagy’s offense failed to run the ball to eat clock, failed to get the ball to the league’s most dangerous ballcarrier, Kareem Hunt, more than five times, and failed to score in the last two quarters. I know the Chiefs lost their tight end, but come on, not so much as a field goal in the third or fourth quarters?

Sorry, but I believe the Bears have had enough of play-callers who can’t produce without a professional tight end.

But apparently, Pace hasn’t, and he’s betting his job on this.

Nagy and the entire Chiefs coaching staff reportedly loved Trubisky and Pat Mahomes before the draft. Pace traded up to get Trubisky, which apparently prompted the Chiefs to trade up to ensure they got Mahomes. Kindred spirits, Pace and Nagy.

I can imagine that’s all Nagy had to say in the interview. I imagine he could deflect all the flaws and recent shortcomings of doing his job by starting with that. I imagine Pace saying. “You had me at Trubisky.” If you love Trubisky, Pace loves you, no matter the risk, apparently.

I felt better about Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. They had been head coaches previously. They were experienced calling plays for years. Those things matter. See Mike Tice’s time as Bears offensive coordinator for details.

What’s more, Shurmur’s hiring would have hurt a divisional rival, which has been about the only way the Bears could hurt a divisional rival lately.

Both hires likely would have helped Trubisky improve to whatever degree. Both would have been safer hires because of their credentials.

But Pace didn’t care. Pace was aggressive. It might turn out to be described as impulsive. Either way, Pace went around the league once with his helicopter parents George McCaskey and Ted Phillips and made his choice. The young GM chose a young head coach and playcaller to groom a young quarterback. Pace is all in the way he has said before. Pace just shoved Nagy and all his Bears employment chips into the center of the table.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

index.php

Lmao.....it took you 5 to 10 minutes to write this post, he has 1 to 1.5 seconds to determine all this......also a fucking freeze frame?....The safety is over toward the bottom part of screen and doest run toward Wims, until Mitchs arm starts in motion, the other safety is staring to rotate towards Wims and middle of field....last but not least where those rushers just stuck in freeze frame or coming at Mitch?.......Also the only thing open, in the time afforded, was a check down, which wasnt worth a damn ref clock and score.

A freeze frame with his decision and arm committed toward Wims already and you're trying to break down a play? Come on now Remy

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Ron Rivera......Old Bear. Aggressive "D". Been to a SB.
Eric Bieniemy ....OC , KC..... yeah I know BUT he would make a commitment to the running game
Lincoln Riley.......head coach at the University of Oklahoma.
Leslie Frazier.....Old Beast Mode Bear. Elite DB player development. Players coach (guys want to win for him). Classier than any of the aforementioned guys. Won SB as player. Won SB as coach. Led Vikings to playoffs in short head-coaching stint. Hometown guy who deserves a chance to be the hometown hero.
LOL! He was a fucking AWFUL head coach. 3-13 in 2011 and 5-10-1 in 2013. He had a fluke year in 2012 when his RB back almost broke the single season rushing record and his D played great. :what:

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
No Nagy should be given an offensive coordinator that opens his perspective on the playcalling available to him at the nfl level.

He runs a few formations and barely scratches the surface of the playbook.

"I've got over 1000 plays." If thats the case its just 950 RPOs with different routes.

More calls from more oldschool formations.

Have fun setting up a guy you like for a play. Dont make it about you.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
So Nagy gets year 3 with Trubisky again, and if Trubisky doesn't turn things around, give Nagy potentially years 4 and 5 with a new QB?

Just clean house. Pace, Nagy, Trubisky. Gone.

This wasn't a year where the ball just didn't bounce our way a few times which led to a disappointing 7-9 season(counting the Vikings game as a L). This wasn't just a down year. We've seen the identity of the Pace/Nagy/Trubisky led Chicago Bears. And it is fucking embarrassing. Pull the fucking plug. Lol.

Huge changes would need to be made in order to right this ship. The biggest changes would need to come from the front office and Nagy. Pace would have to strip Nagy's playcalling duties from him. That's not likely going to happen. Nagy would have to be willing to relinquish those duties and bring some new coaches in. Namely OL and an OC. Does anyone honestly have faith that Nagy would go against everything he wants to be and take a backseat to a new OC to put an offense together? And even if they let him keep the playcalling duties and we still used "his" offense, does anyone have faith that he could alter his offense enough to coddle Trubisky and run the ball more often? I have zero faith in either of those ideas.

The best course of action for this franchise to move forward, is to get rid of Pace, Nagy, and Trubisky. I just don't see another scenario that gets us to actually competing sooner.

I'm not mad at your opinion. I certainly did not mean that Mitch should be going into 2020 as the unquestioned starter. I want the Bears to draft a QB in the 2nd and get a veteran QB. I still think moving on from a coach that is a year removed from winning COTY and finished his second year 7-9/8-8 is way too extreme.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm not mad at your opinion. I certainly did not mean that Mitch should be going into 2020 as the unquestioned starter. I want the Bears to draft a QB in the 2nd and get a veteran QB. I still think moving on from a coach that is a year removed from winning COTY and finished his second year 7-9/8-8 is way too extreme.

We're gonna be 7-9/8-8 because that defense kept us in games. A defense that had nothing to do with Nagy. We went 12-4 last year riding on an even better defense. A defense that had nothing to do with Nagy.

Last year we would have been average with this D. This year we would have had an abysmal record. We're on par with the Dolphins/Redskins/Bengals. We have regressed in all things that Nagy has his fingerprints on. It seems extreme, but firing him isn't imo.