Should Niners Nick Mullens be an option at QB?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He's an erfa, doubtful he'll be traded, definitely not for a 5th rounder.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
Successful franchises build through the draft. Trading away draft picks is how they’re screwed now...
Successful franchises build through the draft. Trading away draft picks is how they’re screwed now...

if we could get Mullens for a 4th or 5th rounder.does that make more sense than drafting a qb in those rounds?

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
if we could get Mullens for a 4th or 5th rounder.does that make more sense than drafting a qb in those rounds?
Ideally, you draft your own Mullens in the 5th round for a lot less money....

msadows

Liked Posts:
Ideally, you draft your own Mullens in the 5th round for a lot less money....

Yup, and he'll probably suck, but the difference is it's just probable and not definite like you have with mullens.

Once again, the kid had 13/10 in probably the most qb friendly system in the league. Nagy/Reid run one of the least qb friendly systems.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

2015 Broncos got 47% of their snaps from free agents/trades
Last 2 Patriots teams to win it were both close to 40% as well

msadows

Liked Posts:
2015 Broncos got 47% of their snaps from free agents/trades
Last 2 Patriots teams to win it were both close to 40% as well

I've posted this stat before, because WCBF told me the pats are amazing at drafting:

Ryan Pace drafted as many pro bowlers in 2017 as the Pats have since 2011. 75 selections, 3 pro bowlers. Two of those they let walk.

The Patriots are great because the have the GOAT coach and GOAT QB, and they sign FA's who are in win now mode on cheap rentals. The pats are essentially every team lebrons ever been on.

You draft to build your team up and then fill immediate holes through FA. QB is not usually a hole you can fill however, and Mullens is def not the one to fill it. I'd rather take a risk drafting Hurts in the 4th/5th round than trade a 5th rounder for Mullens.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
niners are short on picks. Maybe he could be had for a 5th round. Though IS HE he an upgrade from Trubs? Very cost-effective(cheap) move. Makes under $1 million. Allows us to get a qb with starting experience but still allocate funds at other positions of need.

https://ninernoise.com/2020/02/12/49ers-move-nick-mullens-c-j-beathard-2020/

Should Niners Nick Mullens be an option at QB?

No. I don't see how he fits in our O and he doesn't have the mobility of Mitch

msadows

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't Reid be the proper trade? Shanahan has blown 2 SB's

And reid wouldn't win a single thing in his career had he not gotten the potential GOAT qb.

Reid was a perennial loser too.

Shanny's has done more with less throughout his career.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Wouldn't Reid be the proper trade? Shanahan has blown 2 SB's

And reid wouldn't win a single thing in his career had he not gotten the potential GOAT qb.

Reid was a perennial loser too.

Shanny's has done more with less throughout his career.

My philosophy is.....a HC is only as good as his Qb.

I think Reid was a coach on some winning SB teams in the past. I gotta look it up. You say Shanahan has done more with less.
Well wasn't jimmy garoppolo suppose to be da man

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
Mullins showed some signs of potentially being a decent QB. He was better than C.J. Beathard, was aggressive, made some plays. Stats not particularly good but not terrible either.

So a young QB with potential that would be extremely cheap and only cost a late/mid pick should be a consideration. Not as a be all end all solution but a viable option. Even if he's the 3rd option. I would prefer Mullins as a #3 over drafting whatever crap falls to us in the 5th or 6th. If anything it would give you someone thats been trained in the NFL with NFL experience so more likely to actually work out if you had to play him.

We really want 2 decent options behind Trubisky because he's really not a great option. The #3 on this team in 202 is more like a #2.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I like Nick Mullens a lot. Obviously, he's not the answer as the franchise QB, but I think he's a guy that could be a valuable backup down the line and maybe even a stopgap if they were to add him this year and draft a guy in 2021. I'm guessing his price would be about a 4th and a 6th. Being that the Bears projected 4th is basically a 5th, I'd probably add him if that could get him.

Don't underestimate how much this QB class will cost. There's actual HOF QBs on the market, upside guys like Winston and Bridgewater, and backups like Mariota and Keenum could get over 10Mil especially if the CBA is agreed upon. That might be too rich for the Bears blood.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I like Nick Mullens a lot. Obviously, he's not the answer as the franchise QB, but I think he's a guy that could be a valuable backup down the line and maybe even a stopgap if they were to add him this year and draft a guy in 2021. I'm guessing his price would be about a 4th and a 6th. Being that the Bears projected 4th is basically a 5th, I'd probably add him if that could get him.

Don't underestimate how much this QB class will cost. There's actual HOF QBs on the market, upside guys like Winston and Bridgewater, and backups like Mariota and Keenum could get over 10Mil especially if the CBA is agreed upon. That might be too rich for the Bears blood.

Well to solidify the Qb position, we can't be cheap. All my life we've been cheap, always looking bargain basement ?

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Nate Sudfeld is the guy and will be the guy that pushes Mitch and could beat him out.