Should the Chicago Bulls Pursue Rudy Gobert or Mitchell Robinson?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

bulls have 100 mil committed currently and the salary cap is going to be 122 mil. After ZL resigns(30+mil), they are over the 122 mil cap

just left with MLE

so if Mitchell is down for a Caruso like contract, then it can work

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
How on earth would the bulls have 20 mil left to spend after ZL resigns?

pretty sure his contract keeps the bulls above the salary cap, no? It’d limit them to just the MLE like they used to sign Caruso I’m pretty sure
Saw this vid explaining it.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Saw this vid explaining it.

This video says exactly what I said in post #121

they cant offer any 1 player 20 mil per after resigning ZL

he even gives the example of signing Mitchell to a 2 year 18 mil contract which fits the MLE. And I think Mitchell gets more than that, thus the bulls won’t be able to afford him

Enasic

Liked Posts:
This video says exactly what I said in post #121

they cant offer any 1 player 20 mil per after resigning ZL

he even gives the example of signing Mitchell to a 2 year 18 mil contract which fits the MLE. And I think Mitchell gets more than that, thus the bulls won’t be able to afford him
Really have no idea what he’ll get. Like I said, if he’s too costly Drummond would be a good option and should fit within the Bulls cap situation.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Really have no idea what he’ll get. Like I said, if he’s too costly Drummond would be a good option and should fit within the Bulls cap situation.
I will say, if they can get Mitchell for 2 years 18 mil, I’m all for it

id probably prefer to trade Vuc after that still, though…assuming there’s a deal to be had that makes sense

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
“Bench mob” is a phrase that should have been retired when the Heat pants then in 2011.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I will say, if they can get Mitchell for 2 years 18 mil, I’m all for it

id probably prefer to trade Vuc after that still, though…assuming there’s a deal to be had that makes sense

It’s tough to predict the market for a player like Robinson. If you compare his numbers to Drummond last year, they’re extremely comparable across the board. Drummond signed a 1 year 2.4 mil dollar deal lol…the biggest difference between the two is that Robinson is 5 years younger. However, injuries are a bit of a concern with him. Last year was the most games he played at 72 so maybe he’s trending up? Or maybe not….

Probably more of a reason I’m inclined to keep Vuc unless a great deal presented itself. Even if Robinson does stay healthy, who is the backup 5? Bulls had a major size and front court depth issue last year. Personally, I’d rather not go through that again.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It’s tough to predict the market for a player like Robinson. If you compare his numbers to Drummond last year, they’re extremely comparable across the board. Drummond signed a 1 year 2.4 mil dollar deal lol…the biggest difference between the two is that Robinson is 5 years younger. However, injuries are a bit of a concern with him. Last year was the most games he played at 72 so maybe he’s trending up? Or maybe not….

Probably more of a reason I’m inclined to keep Vuc unless a great deal presented itself. Even if Robinson does stay healthy, who is the backup 5? Bulls had a major size and front court depth issue last year. Personally, I’d rather not go through that again.
That’s what the 18th pick is for lol

Enasic

Liked Posts:
That’s what the 18th pick is for lol
Then you’re locking yourself in to a position. If C is the BPA then perfecto, but if not, I’d prefer not to reach for a need.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Then you’re locking yourself in to a position. If C is the BPA then perfecto, but if not, I’d prefer not to reach for a need.
That’s why I put the “lol” at the end

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mitchell Robinson is a little bit on the injury prone side of the spectrum. You should rather pay more to receive the clearly better player, which is obviously Gobert. He gives you elite defense, elite rebounding, and underrated offense (71% led the NBA in FG% while scoring 15.5 pts on 7.5 FG attempts per game).

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't win titles without paying players. You guys have a vested interest in Jerry's bank accounts? I say, give the DD+ZL one more year and see what it pans out as. Upgrade from Vuc if you have the opportunity (it's not like he's not making damn near $30M a year anyway). See how they play together. Either way, you're compiling assets that can ultimately (potentially) be flipped for high picks/rookie contracts).

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Michael Reinsdorf is running the Bulls day to day, not Jerry. Michael already said he’d pay the luxury tax.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
You don't win titles without paying players. You guys have a vested interest in Jerry's bank accounts? I say, give the DD+ZL one more year and see what it pans out as. Upgrade from Vuc if you have the opportunity (it's not like he's not making damn near $30M a year anyway). See how they play together. Either way, you're compiling assets that can ultimately (potentially) be flipped for high picks/rookie contracts).
You win titles by paying the right players. Gobert is the 3rd/4th best player on a championship team and by no means transforms this bulls team to championship status. What he does do without a doubt is kill any future flexibility to get the team to championship status. Will they be able to assemble a package for a legit superstar down the road? Maybe…?

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You win titles by paying the right players. Gobert is the 3rd/4th best player on a championship team and by no means transforms this bulls team to championship status. What he does do without a doubt is kill any future flexibility to get the team to championship status. Will they be able to assemble a package for a legit superstar down the road? Maybe…?
Rudy Gobert is a way better player than Ben Wallace was. I don't buy the 3rd or 4th best player on a championship team thing. You know who doesn't have a legitimate superstar? The Boston Celtics. And they were two wins away from a championship.

What people fail to understand is that when you have great talent stockpiled, you automatically have flexibility. You just can't stand pat forever while that talent ages and goes south. Flip a guy like Gobert or DeMar for picks and young pieces if/when it gets to that point.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Rudy Gobert is a way better player than Ben Wallace was. I don't buy the 3rd or 4th best player on a championship team thing. You know who doesn't have a legitimate superstar? The Boston Celtics. And they were two wins away from a championship.

What people fail to understand is that when you have great talent stockpiled, you automatically have flexibility. You just can't stand pat forever while that talent ages and goes south. Flip a guy like Gobert or DeMar for picks and young pieces if/when it gets to that point.
Yeah I don’t know man. Boston was gifted with like 1000s lottery picks and have had this core seemingly forever (with slight reshuffles) and this was their first trip to the finals since the KG days and they lost. They also likely lose to the bucks if Middleton was healthy.

Also, the Pistons team you’re referring to was like 20 years ago and they were an outlier even back then. It’s a completely different game today

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now it’s John Collins.

Point is we will sniff deals on a veteran and probably grab a potential plug and play, drafted rookie big as well.

We might peak this year actually, with DeRozan and buying Vucs replacement with a year of overlap.

I’d look to blow it up again and recycle after this next season. Maybe keep Collins and Lavine

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I don’t know man. Boston was gifted with like 1000s lottery picks and have had this core seemingly forever (with slight reshuffles) and this was their first trip to the finals since the KG days and they lost. They also likely lose to the bucks if Middleton was healthy.

Also, the Pistons team you’re referring to was like 20 years ago and they were an outlier even back then. It’s a completely different game today
What stayed the same is that you need to be damn near top of the league on defense to realistically compete for a title. You don't need a superstar to be a great defensive team. What you need is enough offensive talent that works together that you are a solid team on both ends.