Should the Redskins change their name

Status
Not open for further replies.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
How about the Washington Cherry Blossoms?
Sure they alienate the current fan base, but they instantly pick up a whole new fan base of tree hugging snowflakes everywhere that can rally behind a single team to show the world their greatness.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Washington red skin Potatoes. Can even keep the name. Just change the logo to a potato.

Different forum I visit suggested the Washington Pigskins, so they could keep the "skins" nickname. I also think they were wishing for snack alternatives, albeit fried, in the concession area.

Why wouldn't the Chicago Blackhawks be next?

Especially the Indian head logo?
The difference is that "Blackhawks" like say the Florida State "Seminoles" is the name of a tribe. Not derogatory in nature. A Cherokee Indian is not upset by being called a Cherokee. Call him a redskin, it might rankle his feathers. Nothing wrong with a tribal name. Logo wise? War bonnet with War paint? Again, I"m not certain that's derogatory? I'm part native American, doesn't bother me. But I'm only speaking for myself. (Did the DNA thingy, said around 4% native american, who knows).

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
The difference is that "Blackhawks" like say the Florida State "Seminoles" is the name of a tribe. Not derogatory in nature. A Cherokee Indian is not upset by being called a Cherokee. Call him a redskin, it might rankle his feathers. Nothing wrong with a tribal name. Logo wise? War bonnet with War paint? Again, I"m not certain that's derogatory? I'm part native American, doesn't bother me. But I'm only speaking for myself. (Did the DNA thingy, said around 4% native american, who knows).

I had a Native drinking buddy when I lived in Los Angeles who was a pretty enlightened guy.

His take was that the most common mascot for college and pro teams is a Native American or a reference to them, and they all need to be removed.

Logos and mascots are essentially the same with these teams. The logo for the Chicago Blackhawks is a race. It sounds weird when you say it like that, right?

greg23

Liked Posts:
#problemsolved

Attachments

• image-11832.jpeg
    image-11832.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 7

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I had a Native drinking buddy when I lived in Los Angeles who was a pretty enlightened guy.

His take was that the most common mascot for college and pro teams is a Native American or a reference to them, and they all need to be removed.

Logos and mascots are essentially the same with these teams. The logo for the Chicago Blackhawks is a race. It sounds weird when you say it like that, right?
Suppose it is a representation of a race. Pirates, Padres, Yankees, Vikings, Saints, Buccaneers, Raiders, Canadians, 49'rs, Cowboys,... etc ... I suppose could all represent race as well.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Washington Piscataway, might as well pay honor to the tribe that was native to the region.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Majority of Natives that have been surveyed on this topic are not offended. It appears white sjw-types are the only people offended, per usual. It's an obvious homage to Native Americans as sports teams in this country used to pick mascots to inspire strength, courage, and ferocity.
Exactly!!! And that goes the same for the Blackhawks

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Washington Snowflakes!

This country is going to shit!

yep it's a whole lotta nothing. speaking of which can't wait for the Black National Anthem being sung at the NFL opener. Wonder who the singers are going to be???!!??? Has to be a black artist. I think it should be Rick Ross.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
yep it's a whole lotta nothing. speaking of which can't wait for the Black National Anthem being sung at the NFL opener. Wonder who the singers are going to be???!!??? Has to be a black artist. I think it should be Rick Ross.

Trump will sing it while kneeling.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You people don't seriously think the Redskins are going to find another name for Indian as their new name do you?

Personally, I like a recommendation I saw earlier today - the Washington Gridlock. :)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Washington Hogs

1. The name has a history with the team already.
2. The fans already wear pigs noses to the games.
3. What better animal to represent our captial than a bunch of swine?
The fans already wear pigs noses to the games. - circa 1983, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.