Should the Redskins change their name

Status
Not open for further replies.

TecmoSuperbOwl

Liked Posts:
Report is that someone bidding on one of the minority shares has been assured the name will be changed. Let the temper tantrums begin.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
No team name in any sport should change. It’s so fucking stupid. The past is trying to be erased in every area of life. Leave sports alone.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
No team name in any sport should change. It’s so fucking stupid. The past is trying to be erased in every area of life. Leave sports alone.

if ya get rid of all proof....ppl. will say it never happened....right? ?

TecmoSuperbOwl

Liked Posts:
if ya get rid of all proof....ppl. will say it never happened....right? ?
Because that's even remotely the point right? No one is trying to erase history. Sammy Baugh is still going to be remembered as a legendary player for (at the time) the Redskins. This about changing a team because it's outlived time in which it was deemed acceptable. Boo fuckity hoo.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
Just give each team a number code then. Chicago 4. Atlanta 2. Philadelphia 26. We know Bears Falcons and Eagles will be deemed offensive soon. Lunatics.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Blackhawks don't need to change anything. Indians already dropped Chief Wahoo, but they shouldn't change their name. Redskins should change their name but keep the logo. I think the logo with the Warriors name is perfect. We are getting way too PC. Changing any logo with Blacks and Indians solves absolutely nothing. It's fucking ridiculous. Like Aunt Jemima. Her logo had already been updated for the times, so why drop it altogether? I don't know who on this site is Black or Native American, but if you are and reading this, what does this do IYO? Am I wrong? And please, if I am wrong, tell me why. I have a completely open mind.

Aunt Jemima is problematic not because of the logo but what she represents. It was the black woman as dutiful house slave/mammie. It is ultimately rooted in ideas of white superiority and black women as their submissive servants whether free or enslaved. Personally as a black man, I was over it a long time ago but if there is a push to remove offensive stereotypes from the media then she would definitely qualify.

As for the Indians, while not overtly racist, the issue is the name was given by white men who stupidly thought they had found India. Instead of correcting it centuries ago, it is like they want to revel in their own ignorance in thinking they had landed in India. Native Americans are no more Indian than Europeans so it is ultimately a question of allowing oneself to be defined by others. If the aim of the team name and logo was to honor Native Americans then not sure how calling them by a name they never called themselves and which is geographically asinine achieves that goal.

Imagine if Native Americans had sailed East to get to Africa and then upon hitting land in Spain had decided for centuries that they would now refer to the Spanish Natives as Africans? How would that not be considered stupid as fuck?

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I also find Aunt Jemima problematic. You dumb fucks buying fake maple syrup all these years. Buy the real shit! Or go tapp a tree like the man you aint! (has anyone read about the great maple syrup heist of 2011-2012?)

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's not covertly racist either. The Blackhawks organization has a long-standing relationship with several local Native American tribes to assure the name and logo are on good terms.

The name actually originally derives from original Hawks owner, Frederick McLaughlin, who served as a commander in the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86 Infantry Division in WWI. The nickname of that group being "Black Hawk Division".

Black Hawk is also not a broad term. He was a famous Sauk chief and a prominent figure in Illinois history.

Agreed. The Seminole people in Florida have supported Florida St using their name.

If it doesn’t offend the people it is depicting than we don’t need to change it.

The Blackhawks, in my opinion, have done a far more classy job honouring the people they are depicting than Chief Wahoo or the Redskins.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aunt Jemima is problematic not because of the logo but what she represents. It was the black woman as dutiful house slave/mammie. It is ultimately rooted in ideas of white superiority and black women as their submissive servants whether free or enslaved. Personally as a black man, I was over it a long time ago but if there is a push to remove offensive stereotypes from the media then she would definitely qualify.

As for the Indians, while not overtly racist, the issue is the name was given by white men who stupidly thought they had found India. Instead of correcting it centuries ago, it is like they want to revel in their own ignorance in thinking they had landed in India. Native Americans are no more Indian than Europeans so it is ultimately a question of allowing oneself to be defined by others. If the aim of the team name and logo was to honor Native Americans then not sure how calling them by a name they never called themselves and which is geographically asinine achieves that goal.

Imagine if Native Americans had sailed East to get to Africa and then upon hitting land in Spain had decided for centuries that they would now refer to the Spanish Natives as Africans? How would that not be considered stupid as fuck?

While I agree 100% with everything you said, I could not help but LMAO at the same time. Me personally, I am on the fence with the Redskins name, and honestly, I am not sure it would be any different if the Indians were called Eskimo's or Kumquat's (by the settlers), the nickname "Redskins" might still have been given.

In my eyes, it all goes to intent. I am sure upon it's inception it was meant as a name of honor, rooted in the fierce fighting tradition. Fast forward to today and some see this as no longer socially acceptable. I can see both sides of the coin.

The Aunt Jemima logo name/stereotype is a lot more cut and dry, at least as far as I see it. It had to go.

What I still find as surprising is that all the people demanding a name change of the Washington Redskins only have problem with the suffix, and not the prefix. If Redskins is racist, what about Washington itself? Why is their no movement to have the name of our capital, Washington DC changed?

George Washington had as many as 317 slaves at Mt. Vernon. Maybe we should change the name of Washington DC to Franklin, and call the Capital Franklin DC. We can then name the Redskins the Franklin Abolitionists and be done with it. They can then adopt the logo of the BLM movement and solve any multitude of problems for the NFL.

The question is, where does one stop?

Last edited:

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Dear Mr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am
highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins.
One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native
Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be
careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and
courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the
Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the
reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get
rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of
militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white
folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a
team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference
to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives. I
am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion
among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New
Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and
pillaged We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the
Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh
Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message
to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting
or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a
growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The
Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our
children

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong message
to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out
to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become
involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the
do-nothing Congress loves.

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in
mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the
Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the
Beavers (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really
want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for
the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the
"Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the
dick heads in Washington DC.

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
Just give each team a number code then. Chicago 4. Atlanta 2. Philadelphia 26. We know Bears Falcons and Eagles will be deemed offensive soon. Lunatics.
They’re taking away my racial slurs! Soon they’ll be taking away my animal names!!!!

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I wonder if Germany had public resistance to removing monuments to human atrocity

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

shut up. racism isn't real anymore and indians are treated fairly and equitably now.

don't you know that white people are poor too? quit begging for handouts

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Because that's even remotely the point right? No one is trying to erase history. Sammy Baugh is still going to be remembered as a legendary player for (at the time) the Redskins. This about changing a team because it's outlived time in which it was deemed acceptable. Boo fuckity hoo.

"deemed acceptable"....... specifically by who ?

Status
Not open for further replies.