Should the Redskins change their name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
C'mon, man, the Washington Bullets football team.

Right the wrong while your at it!!

LetsGo34

Liked Posts:
Yes the peaceful and superior Europeans preferred to murder people from a distance including women and children with firesticks and reigning fire from the sky.

Nothing proves your peeaceful and superior nature more than dropping artillery shells on a village and watching as they rend flesh and bone. Really inspiring stuff.
Whoa there, lad! You do know the Natives eventually got their hands on firearms too, right? And they were slaveowners and would scalp people alive and rape the women after conquering a different tribe of Natives as well as settlers. Life was savage 150+ years ago especially in the age of conquest.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Dont the uneducated tolerant mob want george Washington statues torn down

How can they replace Redskins but not Washington?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
They should rename it to something more acceptable like the Washington Colonials or the Washington Constitution

that would play well.....

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Anyone else getting all these Manscaped ads on this site with the virtually nude lady?
I’m surprised all of our woke posters aren’t in an uproar and boycotting this place.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Anyone else getting all these Manscaped ads on this site with the virtually nude lady?
I’m surprised all of our woke posters aren’t in an uproar and boycotting this place.
Did you know in 2020, there's a pharmaceutical that makes it possible to be against racism without sacrificing enjoyment of the female form, guns, bacon, etc?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I understand the underlying reasons, but I'm asking, does it really solve anything? It just feels like we're doing everything except what needs to be done. That's what I talk about when I think PC is spiraling out of control. As to Indians, is it offensive though? Sure, it's dumb, but I don't think it's ever been a slur. Redskins certainly is, but they did develop the logo with the help of Native American representatives, so why can't the keep/re-design the logo and think of a new name to honor the Native past? IDK, I just feel changing brands like Aunt Jemima, warranted or not, doesn't really accomplish much of anything, outside of garnering positive publicity for the companies involved. Something like that, or cancelling TV shows, just doesn't really measure on my radar. Feels more like pandering to the public while we sit around and let everything blow over without any real change. The brand changes have more to do with money over anything else.

Does it solve all the problems that plague the various communities? No. But I think that is the wrong question. The question is whether there is any value in keeping potentially offensive names or brands around? The answer for me is no.

I think you are conflating two issues. This is a small measure and it is not required that one tackle the bigger and more complicated issues before one can address something as simple as not using racial slurs in team names and not continuing to use the wrong term to identify people.

Whether those big issues get solved or not, the point is we can solve these two issues quite easily so why not?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Whoa there, lad! You do know the Natives eventually got their hands on firearms too, right? And they were slaveowners and would scalp people alive and rape the women after conquering a different tribe of Natives as well as settlers. Life was savage 150+ years ago especially in the age of conquest.

Think you missing the point which was that both sides were savage. The poster I was responding to was acting like the Europeans were some paragons of virtue as if they didn't rape, murder and pillage as well. They just did it with better technology and more aplomb.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I guess this bears repeating. Polls like this are useless because they are based on people who self identify as Native American. So Elizabeth Warren could take part in this poll. By contrast here are the actual tribes and Native organizations that are on record as opposing the name.

Tribes that oppose the name
Organizations that oppose the name
  • Advocates for American Indian Children (California)
  • American Indian Mental Health Association (Minnesota)
  • American Indian Movement[25]
  • American Indian Opportunities Industrialization Center of San Bernardino County
  • American Indian Student Services at the Ohio State University
  • American Indian High Education Consortium
  • American Indian College Fund
  • Americans for Indian Opportunity
  • Association on American Indian Affairs
  • Buncombe County Native American Inter-tribal Association (North Carolina)
  • Capitol Area Indian Resources (Sacramento, CA)
  • Concerned American Indian Parents (Minnesota)
  • Council for Indigenous North Americans (University of Southern Maine)
  • Eagle and Condor Indigenous Peoples' Alliance
  • First Peoples Worldwide
  • Fontana Native American Indian Center, Inc. (California)
  • Governor's Interstate Indian Council
  • Greater Tulsa Area Indian Affairs Commission[26]
  • Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council (Wisconsin)
  • HONOR – Honor Our Neighbors Origins and Rights
  • Kansas Association for Native American Education
  • Maryland Commission on Indian Affairs
  • Medicine Wheel Inter-tribal Association (Louisiana)
  • Minnesota Indian Education Association
  • National Congress of American Indians (NCAI)
  • National Indian Child Welfare Association
  • National Indian Education Association
  • National Indian Youth Council
  • National Native American Law Student Association
  • Native American Caucus of the California Democratic Party
  • Native American Finance Officers Association (NAFOA)[27]
  • Native American Journalists Association[28]
  • Native American Indian Center of Central Ohio
  • Native American Rights Fund (NARF)
  • Native Voice Network
  • Nebraska Commission on Indian Affairs
  • Nottawaseppi Huron Band of Potawatomi (Michigan)
  • Not Your Mascots, Inc.
  • North Carolina Commission of Indian Affairs
  • North Dakota Indian Education Association
  • Office of Native American Ministry, Diocese of Grand Rapids (Michigan)
  • Ohio Center for Native American Affairs
  • San Bernardino/Riverside Counties Native American Community Council
  • Seminole Nation of Oklahoma
  • Society of American Indian Government Employees (SAIGE)
  • Society of Indian Psychologists of the Americas
  • Southern California Indian Center
  • St. Cloud State University – American Indian Center
  • Tennessee Chapter of the National Coalition for the Preservation of Indigenous Cultures
  • Tennessee Commission of Indian Affairs
  • Tennessee Native Veterans Society
  • Tulsa Indian Coalition Against Racism[29]
  • The Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation
  • Unified Coalition for American Indian Concerns, Virginia
  • The United Indian Nations of Oklahoma
  • Virginia American Indian Cultural Resource Center
  • Wisconsin Indian Education Association
  • WIEA "Indian" Mascot and Logo Taskforce (Wisconsin)
  • Woodland Indian Community Center-Lansing (Michigan)
  • Youth "Indian" Mascot and Logo Task force (Wisconsin)

But an anonymous person in an internet survey claimed they were 1/36th Native and said they are proud of the name.

I will note again that the Tribes are supposed to have some measure of sovereignty. So are we going to start disregarding what the leaders of every nation say in favor of internet polls or just when it comes to Native American leaders? The organizations and Native American tribes chosen to represent their people have spoken. It is time for America to finally show some measure of respect for their voices. If these internet pollsters are proud of the name then let them get elected to positions of power in the above Tribes and Organizations and they can push their agenda.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.