Should VJJ be cut now?

Dumpster Fire

Liked Posts:
Hopefully Poles can be honest with himself about this pick. If he can learn from it, then great. Whatever scouting failure took place, learn from it and replace this guy with another player more worthy of the roster spot. We have to surround Fields with talent and VJJ doesn’t have it.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
He is certainly in the doghouse, but he gets an offseason to try and improve himself. But the leash will be really short next year and he will likely be put on the trade block just to see if someone is willing to throw us a bone.

But for now you still trot him out there and try to get him more reps. You have nothing to lose. Literally losing is winning at this point. I want actual targets. Put him in the slot, get him moving north and south, etc.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
He is certainly in the doghouse, but he gets an offseason to try and improve himself. But the leash will be really short next year and he will likely be put on the trade block just to see if someone is willing to throw us a bone.

But for now you still trot him out there and try to get him more reps. You have nothing to lose. Literally losing is winning at this point. I want actual targets. Put him in the slot, get him moving north and south, etc.
Trade block? Really lol.

mecha

Liked Posts:

it's pretty optimistic to think anyone would trade for him. they all see the same things we do. his sample size of shit he's done can be counted on one hand, it won't be difficult to figure out. lol

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Hardly anyone wanted to listen to a realist approach to the pick at the time.

He is exactly what he was in college…a gadget player that can’t hang onto the ball consistently. He’s a kick returner that comes with a good bit of risk when he returns it

Oh well, poles is allowed the occasional dud of a pick. He needs to have a big time draft this coming offseason
Besides a few homers like that clown @Visionman I think this was a very universally unliked draft pick

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I don’t think NFL teams can trade players for prospects since the USFL isn’t a farm system like the minors are for the MLB

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
The pick just lacked common sense. A gadget player that was 25 and had little receiving skills. Just hard to justify making a luxury pick when the roster had so many other holes
Lacked common sense?! Not really. Was VJJ drafted a round or two higher than expected? Sure. But there was a run on WRs and we had just drafted two Defensive players with our only two 2nd rd picks. At that point it was a near necessity to take the best WR on board. Bad pick? Maybe so.

At the same time, I also give Poles some slack because as a VOL fan I know Tennessee has a fast paced offensive and under then 1st year headcoach, Josh Huepel, everyone in the offense took major steps up. Velus Jones benefitted greatly as well and as a result had a good looking highlight tape. At the end of the day, his stats and tape may have been more of a result if the offensive scheme ran by Huepel. But I could see how his tape could leave a good enough impression to draft him in the 3rd rd.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Trade block? Really lol.

it's pretty optimistic to think anyone would trade for him. they all see the same things we do. his sample size of shit he's done can be counted on one hand, it won't be difficult to figure out. lol
I'm not saying he garners interest. I'm saying you at least throw him out there and see if anyone even offers you a 7th. And likely they don't. But you never know what another GM is thinking. They may feel we are misusing him and liked his college tape.

I'm also not saying you keep him so you can trade him. I'm saying you keep him to see if he improves and give him the preseason at the very least. If some UDFA comes in and looks better you move on.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I'm not saying he garners interest. I'm saying you at least throw him out there and see if anyone even offers you a 7th. And likely they don't. But you never know what another GM is thinking. They may feel we are misusing him and liked his college tape.

I'm also not saying you keep him so you can trade him. I'm saying you keep him to see if he improves and give him the preseason at the very least. If some UDFA comes in and looks better you move on.
it was a reach to get him in the 3rd round, you spent a lot of capital to get him, he's under contract, so yes naturally you try to coach him up to not be a catastrophic failure every time he touches the ball. if it doesn't work out I'm not sure what you do then, I don't know how that dead cap thing would apply here, maybe use him on special teams NOT receiving kickoffs or something then. he runs fast I guess, find a way to take advantage of that?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

I guess pace was able to get something for shaheen but fumbling isn’t something I see teams trading for. He actually cost games. In a year like this we are thankful for his illtimed turnovers but if this was a team competing for something ?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
it was a reach to get him in the 3rd round, you spent a lot of capital to get him, he's under contract, so yes naturally you try to coach him up to not be a catastrophic failure every time he touches the ball. if it doesn't work out I'm not sure what you do then, I don't know how that dead cap thing would apply here, maybe use him on special teams NOT receiving kickoffs or something then. he runs fast I guess, find a way to take advantage of that?
His salary is so cheap and we have so much cap space it really isn't an issue to just flat out cut him. The roster spot is important. If he cant beat out whatever WRs we bring in the offseason for a 6th spot, then sure cut him. But I also don't expect ESB, Pettis to be here to compete for that spot.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I guess pace was able to get something for shaheen but fumbling isn’t something I see teams trading for. He actually cost games. In a year like this we are thankful for his illtimed turnovers but if this was a team competing for something ?
Yes, fumbling is one thing some teams will write him off completely for and he could completely be out of a job.

Tee

Beast Mode
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Houston Cougars
This guy was all hype before the season began. I don't think he has done anything positive for the team all season anyways. I vot for hi n to be cut. Waste of a pick and roster spot.

mecha

Liked Posts:
His salary is so cheap and we have so much cap space it really isn't an issue to just flat out cut him. The roster spot is important. If he cant beat out whatever WRs we bring in the offseason for a 6th spot, then sure cut him. But I also don't expect ESB, Pettis to be here to compete for that spot.
fuck it then. cut him if he doesn't improve.

4THQUARTERCLUTCHLER

Liked Posts:
The pick just lacked common sense. A gadget player that was 25 and had little receiving skills. Just hard to justify making a luxury pick when the roster had so many other holes
Poles was planning to tank at the draft, what a genius he will get the quarterback he wants one way or the other ?

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
Now? No. But I'd say he needs to show up to the next training camp rocking it like a star or it would be hard to justify using a roster spot for him.