SI: Next Gen Nightmare

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

"NFL Network has empirically pinpointed the effectiveness of Khalil Mack and Akiem Hicks lining up by each other on the field for their pass rush.

Call it a Next Gen Nightmare.

According to Next Gen stats, as described by Cynthia Frelund at NFL.com, Khalil Mack had a quarterback pressure rate on 16.4% of his pass rushes with Hicks in the lineup. But when Hicks went out in Week 4 with a knee injury, went on injured reserve with an elbow injury early in the fifth game against Oakland, and went back to the sidelines after the loss to Green Bay, Mack was getting pressure on only 8.7% of pass rushes.

They point out Hicks did play a little in Week 5, but it was less than a little. It wasn't even a full series. He left after eight plays and three passes."

Please merge if prior posted in another thread

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Yes, this defense is going to be fun to watch, with not only hopefully a great pass rush but a secondary that can make some INTs.

I really hope our running game gets straightened out. If we can control the clock and force the opponent into throwing situations we can win quite a few games.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yes, this defense is going to be fun to watch, with not only hopefully a great pass rush but a secondary that can make some INTs.

I really hope our running game gets straightened out. If we can control the clock and force the opponent into throwing situations we can win quite a few games.

QB's will have to throw short and quickly more often than not. Maybe Eddie & Fuller can get back to jumping short routes and start picking off passes again.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They neglect that Mack was nursing an ankle most of the year. There's a lot of truth in the article but Mack can still do a lot on his own at closer to 100%. Those 2 back plus a great rusher on the other side should scare any O.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I couldn't agree more...

Say what you will about second worse team in the league, I would not want to face this Defense as a O Coordinator.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
its going to be awesome watching this defense...i assume pagano will add in some new wrinkles in year 2 but a revamped secondary and actual pass rushers in quinn and gipson to help mack, i cant wait to see them in action

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's gonna be fun to watch the defense but the price is gonna be high. You will have to watch the offense too.
There could be 35 possessions per game, LOL.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Hick is so underrated, if he really is 100% it is like adding another high level pass rush in the worst place possible for a QB, In his face, no place to step up and then Quinn or Mack cleaning his clock!!!

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Using that RDE spot for fast get off DTs(nichols rookie year, RRH) I mean... How won't the bears dominate?!?

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

"NFL Network has empirically pinpointed the effectiveness of Khalil Mack and Akiem Hicks lining up by each other on the field for their pass rush.

Call it a Next Gen Nightmare.

According to Next Gen stats, as described by Cynthia Frelund at NFL.com, Khalil Mack had a quarterback pressure rate on 16.4% of his pass rushes with Hicks in the lineup. But when Hicks went out in Week 4 with a knee injury, went on injured reserve with an elbow injury early in the fifth game against Oakland, and went back to the sidelines after the loss to Green Bay, Mack was getting pressure on only 8.7% of pass rushes.

They point out Hicks did play a little in Week 5, but it was less than a little. It wasn't even a full series. He left after eight plays and three passes."

Please merge if prior posted in another thread

I am certain that the average yards given up per run by the D, without Hicks, was as statistically / eyeTest significant

.......... but as some have pointed out at CCS, Aikeem only benches 315, which isn't even his body weight

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rule of 3s and what potentially Quinn/Hicks/Mack give the BEARs...that was before JJ was drafted and Gipson were obtained. This D is gonna Dominate. Stay Healthy Front 7 ( this video may have been showed before but that nickel D is gonna be fun to watch )

Bearsgonewild

Liked Posts:
QB's will have to throw short and quickly more often than not. Maybe Eddie & Fuller can get back to jumping short routes and start picking off passes again.
So, target Fuller's 7 yard cushion. Easy peasy. (yeah, FRUSTRATING!)

msadows

Liked Posts:
I've posted this before when we signed quinn, but if you combine mack, hicks(projected), and quinns numbers for 2019 they account for 113 pressures.

There are two entire nfl teams who combined for less than that last year, and 2 more who were only a few pressures higher.

On paper, if healthy, those 3 should dominate.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Using that RDE spot for fast get off DTs(nichols rookie year, RRH) I mean... How won't the bears dominate?!?

On offense. They won't dominate there.

IF they can post an Orton-esque QB performance and above bottom 3rd in rushing, this D will score & give good field position enough to cushion the lack of Offensive production into some wins

msadows

Liked Posts:
On offense. They won't dominate there.

IF they can post an Orton-esque QB performance and above bottom 3rd in rushing, this D will score & give good field position enough to cushion the lack of Offensive production into some wins

To be fair, this defense has a chance to be elite in the turnover department again. Pressure forces turnovers. We saw that in 2018, 2019 ....not so much.

If we can get a run game going that is at least in the top 20, I won't be too worried about scoring points and winning games. Had this team just had a mediocre run game last season they woulda been in the playoffs again even with mitch playing his way out of the league.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Good god the pressure with Goldman, Hicks, Quinn, and Mack is going to e glorious.
Exactly. Article didn't even mention the 4th DL on the field is Eddie Goldman (70.7 PFF), who isn't a sack machine, but still one of the better DTs in the league. Anyone have Hurries count for Goldman and Bilal?
- Bilal had the same number of QB Hits as Goldman last year (2) with 0 sacks. Goldman had 1 sack.

Mack - Hicks - Goldman - Quinn
……….Smith - Trevathan..........
Fuller - Jackson - Gipson - Johnson

Last edited: