Slot option

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Is it possible the best cb option if the Bears don't acquire someone else is moving vildor to slot and putting burns outside? Burns is likely a slight downgrade from vildor, but vildor has to be an upgrade from the trash at NB
If you wanted to go with Burns, his best season was his rookie year in the slot.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think we are stuck with the personnel that we have at DB this season and Desai needs to get creative. That was a pretty ridiculous INT that Roquan made on Sunday maybe let him play the middle of the field a little bit more. And if the opposing team wants to move their #1 into the slot just put Jaylon on him.

The front 7 has to eat.. plain and simple. Every secondary in the league struggles if the pass rush doesn't get home. Week 1 was a bad defensive week let's see how things progress over the next few games.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I think we are stuck with the personnel that we have at DB this season and Desai needs to get creative. That was a pretty ridiculous INT that Roquan made on Sunday maybe let him play the middle of the field a little bit more. And if the opposing team wants to move their #1 into the slot just put Jaylon on him.

The front 7 has to eat.. plain and simple. Every secondary in the league struggles if the pass rush doesn't get home. Week 1 was a bad defensive week let's see how things progress over the next few games.
I think with Smith he will be moved all over the field due to his speed and coverage ability. His sack came from the outside I believe.

Cubsfan23

Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t mind trying Bush or Houston-Carson at this point either they clearly are in our top 5 DBs.

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Desai should be utilizing more big nickel sets at this point. Shelley just hasn't shown he can stick in the slot.

Roll Bush or DHC in there and change alignment a bit depending on our opponents. The CLE game would be perfect to start this off as their 2 starting WR are out obviously.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
As was mentioned in the MNF broadcast, teams are beginning to move their best CB into the slot position to cover those 2 way routes. The importance in stopping that slot position has grown exponentially over the last few seasons, as offenses are now being driven more and more through the slot. I remember reading a PFF study a year or two ago that made the case that a pass to the slot receiver is the most efficient and effective play an offense can make. The Bears are in huge trouble if they can’t get this position figured out.
agreed, good post

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I'm really just looking for a solution where nb won't be picked apart all season. Burns seemed about as good as vildor in preseason but that was just preseason

I like where your head is at with your OP. But IMO, is there a team in the NFL that doesn't have issues at NB? The best corners go to the best receivers and when teams like the Rams, Chiefs, 49ers, Bengals(I am sure there a bunch more teams here), employ great slot WRS, it creates mismatches that you hope get covered by LBers and a capable NB. I guess what I am saying is that this problem is NFL wide. There isn't really a philosophy yet of creating a perfect NB. It seems like the position just finds aging CB's and borderline talent CB's. For every Bryce Callahan type player, there are 30 Buster Skrine type players.