Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kinda harsh imo, getsy is in his first year as OC and still needs time to develop.
There's a lot we don't know about the plan etc. GB may have had his # this game. It's like you'd think Getsy would know how to scheme his old D but when the other side's players are that much better it wasn't surprising that it worked the other way around.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not from what has transpired week 1 and week 2 imo. Week 1 was a weather shitshow, week 2 was "9 passes before garbage time".

For me, throwing 9 passes isn't enough to get ANY QB going, especially one who is making his 12th start. I don't know, man. I think people are getting way too far ahead of themselves with Fields. We don't know what we have in him yet, and we won't know when games are called like Sunday night's game.

You can pick on mistakes that Fields' made, but I don't even think you can just say "he had a bad game". He didn't even have a game. Lol. Like he might as well not have even started that game with how it was called.

We need a MUCH larger sample size to say what we have with Fields. We'll have a better idea at the end of the season. We'll have an even better idea next season once we have some more pieces in place, and he's had a full season in this offense.

I know that won't be popular with dudes that have been saying he's a bust since we drafted him, or since he played Cleveland, or since his 3rd start, 10th start, 12th start, whatever. But the reality is, it's going to take more time than you're comfortable with. Better get used to it.
They called enough pass plays to judge he had a bad game but so what? It's early and against a VG D. It's one fucking game under a new regime.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a ridiculous take. Russell Wilson & Joe Montana went in the 3rd round. Mahomes went in almost the same position as Fields. Big Ben went 11th. Watson went 12th. Marino was 27th. Rodgers was 24th. Brees went 32nd. Chargers even let him walk.

Difference with the Bears is they always, ALWAYS, draft/get a QB and think the job is done. There's a reason that this team fails at QB every single time, and it isn't because they're drafting the wrong guys each time.
Just throw the ball more

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sorry but looking at the all 22, the problem is Fields. You can't wait until after a WR makes a break to throw the ball in the NFL. He was just not seeing the field well this game. Hopefully it was a one off.

The other issue is the playcalling. They ran one quick pass to St Brown which was completed but other than that not a lot of pass plays where the intent is to get the ball out quick. No real attempt to get Fields in rhythm or Mooney or Kmet in the game.

He regressed a bit this game. No need to make excuses for him. Sometimes he moved off a read too quick like in the example Harbor posted and sometimes he hung on a read too long.

At this point Getsy needs to go heavy in the quick game to help him out and until he finds more of a comfort zone.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not from what has transpired week 1 and week 2 imo. Week 1 was a weather shitshow, week 2 was "9 passes before garbage time".

For me, throwing 9 passes isn't enough to get ANY QB going, especially one who is making his 12th start. I don't know, man. I think people are getting way too far ahead of themselves with Fields. We don't know what we have in him yet, and we won't know when games are called like Sunday night's game.

You can pick on mistakes that Fields' made, but I don't even think you can just say "he had a bad game". He didn't even have a game. Lol. Like he might as well not have even started that game with how it was called.

We need a MUCH larger sample size to say what we have with Fields. We'll have a better idea at the end of the season. We'll have an even better idea next season once we have some more pieces in place, and he's had a full season in this offense.

I know that won't be popular with dudes that have been saying he's a bust since we drafted him, or since he played Cleveland, or since his 3rd start, 10th start, 12th start, whatever. But the reality is, it's going to take more time than you're comfortable with. Better get used to it.
“This year” is not the same as “the first two games.” I’m perfectly fine giving him the whole season.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Sorry but looking at the all 22, the problem is Fields. You can't wait until after a WR makes a break to throw the ball in the NFL. He was just not seeing the field well this game. Hopefully it was a one off.

The other issue is the playcalling. They ran one quick pass to St Brown which was completed but other than that not a lot of pass plays where the intent is to get the ball out quick. No real attempt to get Fields in rhythm or Mooney or Kmet in the game.

He regressed a bit this game. No need to make excuses for him. Sometimes he moved off a read too quick like in the example Harbor posted and sometimes he hung on a read too long.

At this point Getsy needs to go heavy in the quick game to help him out and until he finds more of a comfort zone.

I wonder if anyone on here has mentioned that his development this year would not be linear....

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
“This year” is not the same as “the first two games.” I’m perfectly fine giving him the whole season.
I believe that's what most people are doing and it's completely reasonable. I'm not going to shit all over Fields after two games, both which are against playoff contenders, one game in a monsoon and another on the road. The roster is an issue, the playcalling is an issue, Fields has his problems - there's a lot going on here. We have 15 more weeks of this - lets see if there is improvement. I hope we picked the right coach (I've never been sold on Flus). You look at Doug Pederson with Trevor and even Daboll with Daniel Jones. NYG at 2-0 and Trevor has 500 yards - 3TDs - 1 INT - 68% completion.

I'll be very discouraged if the season ends and I don't feel like Fields showed us he can be the guy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wonder if anyone on here has mentioned that his development this year would not be linear....

Yeah there will be upd and downs until hopefully it just clicks for him.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I believe that's what most people are doing and it's completely reasonable. I'm not going to shit all over Fields after two games, both which are against playoff contenders, one game in a monsoon and another on the road. The roster is an issue, the playcalling is an issue, Fields has his problems - there's a lot going on here. We have 15 more weeks of this - lets see if there is improvement. I hope we picked the right coach (I've never been sold on Flus). You look at Doug Pederson with Trevor and even Daboll with Daniel Jones. NYG at 2-0 and Trevor has 500 yards - 3TDs - 1 INT - 68% completion.

I'll be very discouraged if the season ends and I don't feel like Fields showed us he can be the guy.

Sorry bro, he needed to show 600yds passing, 7 TD's and no TO's in the 1st 2 games. Anything less would be a perfect example of him being a fucking failure. Book is closed on him. Time to start scouting 2023 NFL Draft QB's and any possible veteran free agents. Maybe Poles can trade 7 1st round picks and a couple of vets for Lamar Jackson!

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Sorry bro, he needed to show 600yds passing, 7 TD's and no TO's in the 1st 2 games. Anything less would be a perfect example of him being a fucking failure. Book is closed on him. Time to start scouting 2023 NFL Draft QB's and any possible veteran free agents. Maybe Poles can trade 7 1st round picks and a couple of vets for Lamar Jackson!

nobody is saying he needs 600 yards and 7TD.. but with 15 of 28 for 191yds 2TD and 2INT with a 69.2 rating thats a pretty disappointing stat line for any game.. when you realize thats for 2 games! thats terrible, there is no other way to look at it.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Same problem he had last year so not thinking this is a one off, but at least Nagy is not here so hopefully this coaching staff can help him correct that

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Why not? I’m sure Poles is. He certainly better be.

And before that hurts someone’s mangina that has nothing to do with Fields and everything to do with being a smart franchise. I’ve said for years now the Bears don’t take enough swings at the position, and a portion of the fan base seems to think that’s OK.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
Just watching first Trubs now Fields trying to develop its clear pocket presence and feeling pressure around is such a huge part of being a top QB. Is that instinct or does it come with time?

I think having a solid O Line is key for a developing QB. The more they get hit early on the more gun shy they get, rushing decisions and making poor choices. Talent is one factor but scheme and line are huge.

I think Justin Fields is as physically and naturally talented as any Bears QB in modern times, but it’s still not enough on its own. It does make him worth being patient with though.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Just throw the ball more
Hopefully they throw it around the average for a modern day offense. Even a low passing volume team has twice as many attempts as what the Bears have shown so far. I'd rather see Fields fall on his face than watch them try to hide him. The first two weeks scheduling wise didn't do the new coaching staff any favors either.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Same problem he had last year so not thinking this is a one off, but at least Nagy is not here so hopefully this coaching staff can help him correct that

It wasnt this bad last week in a Monsoon. Hence why I said he regressed.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
May he does. Maybe he thinks he had a better roster for more pass happy offense? Maybe his current matchups dictate more passing? Maybe its the simple fact that Justin Fields is a much better runner? Justin Fields had over 5000 yards and 60 TDs. this is such a reach.
Doesn't matter cause we're drafting Stroud in next years draft anyway.

Here we go again