Smarter people than us talking about Justin Fields

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It's not the lack of production or video game numbers that concerns me--it's the lack of attempts . I really really hope I'm wrong, but I just can't shake the feeling it's because the staff doesn't trust him to read the field, go through his progressions, throw with anticipation, etc.--the same concerns that reportedly caused QB-needy teams like the Broncos and Panthers to pass on him in the draft.
I think this is a conspiracy theory. If they truly didn't trust him, they'd put Trevor Siemian in. Just my opinion.

The game 1 lack of attempts was the monsoon. Game 2 was just poor game managing by the OC. No QB in this league is going to be able to get going with that amount of attempts.

I don't mind him having 20-30 attempts per game, but 11 is just insane. I'd think 40 or 50 was insane, too. Balance is good.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
I think this is a conspiracy theory. If they truly didn't trust him, they'd put Trevor Siemian in. Just my opinion.

The game 1 lack of attempts was the monsoon. Game 2 was just poor game managing by the OC. No QB in this league is going to be able to get going with that amount of attempts.

I don't mind him having 20-30 attempts per game, but 11 is just insane. I'd think 40 or 50 was insane, too. Balance is good.
Yea, hopefully the 11-attempt thing from last Sunday was just a blip and some combination of poor game management by Getsy, our running game being surprisingly effective, and a few bad drop backs that shook QB1's confidence a bit.

The 26 for 39 for 285 yards, 1 TD, and 0 INTs (7.31 yards/attempt) quarterback from last year's Vikings game (albeit a bad loss where we scored a grand total of 9 points) is in there somewhere.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Game 2 was just poor game managing by the OC

THIS

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I get what you're saying and I agree that Fields has the intangibles and makeup to hang around the league a long time, but I think generally speaking these are all exceptions to the rule that guys who play like bad quarterbacks are bad quarterbacks. Right now Justin Fields isn't merely having "mixed" performances or a bad play here and there, he's basically Jonathan Quinn out there. Mike Glennon was better than this.
This started out as a reasonable post but once you mentioned Quinn and Glennon, I thought no this is pretty ridiculous.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yea, hopefully the 11-attempt thing from last Sunday was just a blip and some combination of poor game management by Getsy, our running game being surprisingly effective, and a few bad drop backs that shook QB1's confidence a bit.

The 26 for 39 for 285 yards, 1 TD, and 0 INTs (7.31 yards/attempt) quarterback from last year's Vikings game (albeit a bad loss where we scored a grand total of 9 points) is in there somewhere.

I am no fan of Getsy, especially after the shotgun 4th and goal.

But this narrative about not letting him pass until the game was out of hand is mind numbingly stupid.

The bears went 3 consecutive pass plays for 3 and out the drive after the td.
The ensuing drive was also pass heavy and was killed by the illegal forward pass.

I am by no means caping for Getsy- he is looking like he is in over his head.
But this not letting fields pass narrative that people here have latched on to is disingenuous.
From the completion of the touchdown drive to the end of the half, the bears were absolutely pass heavy by a wide margin.

Unfortunately, with poor execution and lack of success, going pass heavy led to a huge deficit in time of possession and score.

Seriously- anyone that thinks fields should have had more pass attempts should rewatch the first half and see what that led to.

Had they kept it up, it would have been a 50 point loss.

The second half they were running to set up the pass...and the passing just kept failing.
Had it not, there would have been more downs and more attempts.
At some point you have to look at how drives died and place responsibility where it belongs, and much of that Sunday was on fields.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
This thread has receipts all over the place! Js!
There is not some hidden component to watching Justin Fields that makes what you're seeing Actually Good. Its just delusion, and unwillingness to write off Justin Fields by the media for reasons that aren't football related.
hot take from one of our village idiots