Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
His exact words:

There's a reason that this team fails at QB every single time, and it isn't because they're drafting the wrong guys each time.

If it isn’t because they’re drafting the wrong guys then obviously he thinks we’ve had one. I want to know who it is?

And yeah, I completely agree with you on the systemic failures. But overall they’ve drafted terrible too. (JF1 not included since thats an incomplete at this time)
I think that's mostly because they're damaged goods once they've gone through a shitty organization that doesn't put an emphasis on "a QB and his surrounding talent are imperative to winning football."

I think Orton is the only one in recent memory to leave the organization and put up far better numbers with Denver. But he was a 5th round pick.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can't tell me that Cutler and Fields don't/didn't have the talent.

Justin Fields reminds me a lot of Jay Cutler.

He's a bit smaller, but much faster and far less apathetic. Cannon of arm, but wants to be able to see the throw instead of just trusting his offense. Could be a star with strong coaching, but without it will only be inconsistent at best as they are always trying to make plays with their arms instead of playing within an actual system. Jay Cutler went through four offenses in six seasons early in his career and Fields has already had two in as many years...so it's probably this early kind of dysfunction that hurts the most.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
It wasnt this bad last week in a Monsoon. Hence why I said he regressed.
Maybe, but I don't really remember him throwing guys open or anticipating guys will be open either, and understandably in the conditions. But last week he seemed to hit a few guys that where wide open.

His problem is identifying what's happening and understanding it quickly so he can get the ball out on time, he struggled last year with this and again this last game

Nelly

Liked Posts:

He's a bit smaller, but much faster and far less apathetic. Cannon of arm, but wants to be able to see the throw instead of just trusting his offense. Could be a star with strong coaching, but without it will only be inconsistent at best as they are always trying to make plays with their arms instead of playing within an actual system. Jay Cutler went through four offenses in six seasons early in his career and Fields has already had two in as many years...so it's probably this early kind of dysfunction that hurts the most.
I wouldn't hold this coaching change against Fields, but you're making good points here. Fields definitely seems like a "see it throw it" kind of guy like Cutler was, at least so far. The greats throw their guys open cause they understand the angles and where the defense is. Fields hasn't shown much of that yet.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Not from what has transpired week 1 and week 2 imo. Week 1 was a weather shitshow, week 2 was "9 passes before garbage time".

For me, throwing 9 passes isn't enough to get ANY QB going, especially one who is making his 12th start. I don't know, man. I think people are getting way too far ahead of themselves with Fields. We don't know what we have in him yet, and we won't know when games are called like Sunday night's game.

You can pick on mistakes that Fields' made, but I don't even think you can just say "he had a bad game". He didn't even have a game. Lol. Like he might as well not have even started that game with how it was called.

We need a MUCH larger sample size to say what we have with Fields. We'll have a better idea at the end of the season. We'll have an even better idea next season once we have some more pieces in place, and he's had a full season in this offense.

I know that won't be popular with dudes that have been saying he's a bust since we drafted him, or since he played Cleveland, or since his 3rd start, 10th start, 12th start, whatever. But the reality is, it's going to take more time than you're comfortable with. Better get used to it.

Your constant excuses and spinning of reality are annoying.

They only had 42 plays the whole game. They called either 20 or 21 pass plays. (Probably even more than they should have called) but the QB either wouldn't throw the ball and get sacked or scramble even though the metrics clearly show he wasn‘t being pressured very heavily at all. (I.e he had ample opportunity to throw. He just for whatever reason refused to. Like he’s done his whole time here) or he was running into sacks. They also only had 42 plays total because the QB kept killing drives taking dumb sacks and or missing wide open guys because he doesn’t see the field well. That’s the realty of what happened the other night. It has nothing to do with him it being given opportunities. Every time they tried to give him an opportunity he killed the drive. All they could do was run because a majority of the time he stepped back it was a shit show. What are they’d supposed to do? They’re getting big chunks running the ball. It actually sort of kept them in the game. Then every time they relied on the QB he either took an unnecessary sack or missed a receiver. It was awful. But whatever. You keep living in your fantasy world where it’s everybody else’s fault.

Let me guess. Next it will be time to fire Getsy because he’s ruining Fields and we won’t be able to get a proper evaluation of him until next year. Then when he’s not everything we expect from him next year it will be whoever the new coordinators fault is. And then we can just do that for the next decade while you throw everybody and their mother under the bus.

you understand a QB can have nothing around him and show you things? He doesn’t have to have the 1980’s 49ers offense around him to show you something. Even on a bad team he can show out. His deficiencies are pretty alarming. They are problems that with a lot of guys just don’t go away. And what’s scarier is they’re the exact problems scouts had with him coming out of college and why many of them felt he wouldn’t work in the NFL. Doesn’t make decisons fast. Doesn’t read the field. Has a sort of weird wind up motion. All these red flags have been proven true. That’s not good.

Im not saying he can’t succeed. He still has this whole season to show he can improve. I’m not calling for his head. Let it play out. Sometimes it just takes time with a player. But it doesn’t look good. And your constant sunshine pumping won’t change that.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
I think in the back of my mind I anticipated Fields being left to the wolves this season. The writing was on the wall all off-season. Limited WR FA options, Poles was cleaning house, clearing up cap/bad Pace contract and he went dumpster diving. Then they hired Flus and took not one, but two DBs high in the draft. Typical Bears. I like Brisker, but he's a safety. Verdict still out on Gordon. 3rd Round WR can't bend over without getting hurt. Neither of these guys are helping Fields at all, which is literally the entire point of this season. Figure out if Fields has it. Well, that's tough to do when he passes 11 times a game and is running for his life on halve his dropbacks trying to find *checks notes* Dante fucking Pettis. It feels pretty bad. The roster is complete shit, top to bottom. I was hopeful that Fields could make something work and maybe he still can, but this offense straight up stinks. Poles better have this shit together next offseason.

Bingo.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Given all of Fields’ talent, I personally believe given enough time and some talent around him (I think oline is most important), no changing of system and continuity - he will be an above average QB at worst.

I think organizations and fans are too quick to throw away QB’s or players in general.

Playing QB is flipping hard and he’s basically starting over- the first year was terrible coaching that wanted to stifle him prior to the season even starting and then he was thrown to the wolves. Literally!

You’re not going to be able to get in a rhythm with 11-15 passing plays. Not to mention from week to week throwing 28 passes in both games.

I get that the coach is trying to win running the ball but

1. That doesn’t work in todays NFL - unless you’re in love with field goals!

2. It’s a sign that Flus might be the wrong guy and maybe even Poles for hiring him or told to hire him.

Unless the have told Fields that they don’t want him to die this year and this will be how they play and to expect 10-15 passes per game and he wouldn’t be judged negatively for it.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Get Fields WRs he can trust and maybe you'll see him trusting them much like Cutler did in Denver before he was traded to the Bears with Hester as his #1. He was throwing to Marshall in Denver covered in a crowd and trusting Marshall would come down with it.

It's not only the offensive plan changes, it's the lack of offense for years. I don't understand how anyone, let alone the owners or the many staffs we've been through, can think that will ever work.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
“This year” is not the same as “the first two games.” I’m perfectly fine giving him the whole season.
That's fair. Wasn't sure where you stood on that.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Your constant excuses and spinning of reality are annoying.

They only had 42 plays the whole game. They called either 20 or 21 pass plays. (Probably even more than they should have called) but the QB either wouldn't throw the ball and get sacked or scramble even though the metrics clearly show he wasn‘t being pressured very heavily at all. (I.e he had ample opportunity to throw. He just for whatever reason refused to. Like he’s done his whole time here) or he was running into sacks. They also only had 42 plays total because the QB kept killing drives taking dumb sacks and or missing wide open guys because he doesn’t see the field well. That’s the realty of what happened the other night. It has nothing to do with him it being given opportunities. Every time they tried to give him an opportunity he killed the drive. All they could do was run because a majority of the time he stepped back it was a shit show. What are they’d supposed to do? They’re getting big chunks running the ball. It actually sort of kept them in the game. Then every time they relied on the QB he either took an unnecessary sack or missed a receiver. It was awful. But whatever. You keep living in your fantasy world where it’s everybody else’s fault.

Let me guess. Next it will be time to fire Getsy because he’s ruining Fields and we won’t be able to get a proper evaluation of him until next year. Then when he’s not everything we expect from him next year it will be whoever the new coordinators fault is. And then we can just do that for the next decade while you throw everybody and their mother under the bus.

you understand a QB can have nothing around him and show you things? He doesn’t have to have the 1980’s 49ers offense around him to show you something. Even on a bad team he can show out. His deficiencies are pretty alarming. They are problems that with a lot of guys just don’t go away. And what’s scarier is they’re the exact problems scouts had with him coming out of college and why many of them felt he wouldn’t work in the NFL. Doesn’t make decisons fast. Doesn’t read the field. Has a sort of weird wind up motion. All these red flags have been proven true. That’s not good.

Im not saying he can’t succeed. He still has this whole season to show he can improve. I’m not calling for his head. Let it play out. Sometimes it just takes time with a player. But it doesn’t look good. And your constant sunshine pumping won’t change that.
Not reading all that, but I'm sure it's stupid.

I will address the excuses and spinning, though. I'm not saying anything different than what Dilfer, Jenkins, and other QB gurus are saying. If you want to see what you have in Fields you need to bring him along by making things easier for him.

He doesn't fully get it yet, and it shows. People that think that he "just needs to be better" are dumb. He needs help. He didn't get that help in Green Bay. I hope he does against the Texans.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe, but I don't really remember him throwing guys open or anticipating guys will be open either, and understandably in the conditions. But last week he seemed to hit a few guys that where wide open.

His problem is identifying what's happening and understanding it quickly so he can get the ball out on time, he struggled last year with this and again this last game
The St Brown TD was thrown with anticipation and on time. There were 1 or 2 more but he only had 8 completions.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The St Brown TD was thrown with anticipation and on time. There were 1 oe 2 more but he only had 8 completions.
He had a few against SF too

Edit nmind lol

alswank87

Liked Posts:
Smart people don’t waste their time listening to “smart people” analyze a football game the smart person is not a part of. Smart people have better things to do.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Smart people don’t waste their time listening to “smart people” analyze a football game the smart person is not a part of. Smart people have better things to do.
K

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Not reading all that, but I'm sure it's stupid.

I will address the excuses and spinning, though. I'm not saying anything different than what Dilfer, Jenkins, and other QB gurus are saying. If you want to see what you have in Fields you need to bring him along by making things easier for him.

He doesn't fully get it yet, and it shows. People that think that he "just needs to be better" are dumb. He needs help. He didn't get that help in Green Bay. I hope he does against the Texans.
I read it, now my head hurt. He claims the WRs are all wide open and Fields just won't throw it to them.

Now, I have to be honest, I really did leave at half time. Cannot stand Rodgers anymore. But I watched the first half and I didn't see WRs wide open all over the field, and Justin just sat there to get sacked. I saw him hit Kmet perfectly and he flat out dropped the ball. I saw an awful play called to toss to Mooney 5 yards behind the LOS with no blockers. BUt I simply didn't see wide open options for Fields to throw to.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone that watches the Tim Jenkins video and still complains about Justin holding the ball too long needs remedial football lessons or excel in captain obvious skills.

Either the coaches know this and are willing to accept what happens and have plans to grow as Justin learns or they don't know what they are doing and we are in real trouble.

I suspect they know this and have a long term plan and accept there are gonna be growing pains until we get there.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I completely disagree with this theory that he has to be in the best possible position to succeed before you know if he’s good or not. Professional athletes succeed all the time on shitty teams.
I'll bump this too. there's guys that play on horrible teams very well and that's how they become free agents and go to better teams. I'm fried, my day is over, I can't cite examples. Alshon Jeffery left a Bears team that couldn't make the playoffs and he was on a Super Bowl winning team... there's my example.

Brandon Marshall was such an awful human being apparently he couldn't singlehandedly elevate any team he played for to even make the playoffs. what a bum.