Smith to Ravens

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Good move. Smith will be overpaid and half the player he is now by the time the Bears are competitive. This is a new direction for a FO that has been very conservative in the past. Think this is a good sign ownership wants to try to set up the team to be on the upswing by the time Arlington is ready so they can sell at maximum potential.
He's 25 years old.

If the quarterback is any good, this is a 1-2 year rebuild. If it's more than that, Ryan Poles is going to get fired. Roquan has at least 4-5 really good prime years left if he can stay healthy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Quan is resigning with Bears this offseason once he hits FA and realizes Bears offer was fair. Book it!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You’ve been watching football since then right??

Also, roquan is no urlacher.
I have no idea what you're reading. I didn't compare Roquan to Urlacher or anybody else.

I responded to your post saying Lovie had shit play from linebackers.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I like the trade. Poles is in a better position to know what Quan’s contract demands will be and if there have been any issues behind the scenes.

I’m a UGA homer, and liked the pick, but never thought paying Quan top LB money was worth it.

If Poles didn’t want to pay him what he wanted this off-season, then good for him getting some draft capital out of it now. I wish Quan the best.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I have no idea what you're reading. I didn't compare Roquan to Urlacher or anybody else.

I responded to your post saying Lovie had shit play from linebackers.
I don’t remember saying that

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
He's 25 years old.

If the quarterback is any good, this is a 1-2 year rebuild. If it's more than that, Ryan Poles is going to get fired. Roquan has at least 4-5 really good prime years left if he can stay healthy.
Probably. I just don’t think those prime years are worth $20mil/per. That’s the issue. And I understand both sides of it.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Decent haul. This is what a rebuild looks like. I support Poles for not locking up Roquan to 20+ mil. I liked the player but for this team at this time there are far more important priorities than ILB.

baredown

Liked Posts:
We are tanking. We got extra picks and saving money that we can use at other positions. Let's all be honest; we are not competing until 24.
2024 at the earliest. And even that would require a home run draft in 2023. They’ve got a ton of cap money and no one on their own roster to spend it on, other than Mooney. Their cap space will end up going for older or lesser talent that other teams are willing to let go, a time-tested road to NFL mediocrity…

I’m all for the rebuild, but this a bad move. You don't rebuild by letting your young talent go. This is one of the elements of building through the draft. You not only need to draft well, and develop well, you also need to hang on to your drafted players that have proven out...

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
The Bears have over double the cap space of the #2 team.

Would franchise tagging him or giving him $20 mil per year really have been that hard?

Isn’t it harder to find a suitable replacement?
Perhaps Eberflus believed Smith was not a fit at the Will in his defense.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I’m not against this move, but I fear Poles is gonna fuck this up considering the shite he’s brought in
The players he brought in during the draft last year have looked good. The free agents not so much but he did not have the ammo to go for some of the better guys. However, people forget he signed Ryan Bates to a contract but it got matched by the Bills. You cannot sign off the ball LBs to a huge contract or you will continue to be the Bears. Smart move by Poles. He now has a ton of things he can do by tomorrow, free agency and during the draft.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Bears have over double the cap space of the #2 team.

Would franchise tagging him or giving him $20 mil per year really have been that hard?

Isn’t it harder to find a suitable replacement?

thats just kicking the can down the road though. eventually hes going to want to get paid and i saw nothing in that dallas game that notes hes 20 mil dollars worth of importance to the defense

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The other part of this trade is Fields and the O are perhaps getting too good for us to get a top 10 draft pick. This trade gives us more draft capital but also makes it harder for Fields and the O to ruin our draft position.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
The other part of this trade is Fields and the O are perhaps getting too good for us to get a top 10 draft pick. This trade gives us more draft capital but also makes it harder for Fields and the O to ruin our draft position.
And is more likely to put us in a position where the offense needs to try to actually score points rather than just sit on the ball, which helps with Fields' development.

#Poles12Dchess

InsideTheLines

Opinionated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Miami Marlins
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
  2. Northwestern Wildcats
With this upcoming free agency not being offense heavy I am glad for the move. It brings more draft capital for possible exciting offensive additions on the roster and we can sign a cheaper LB in free agency that would probably get the same stats at Roquan.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I will also say this. Some of the criticisms of Quan are just silly. No player at any position delivers game in and game out. It would be like saying Joe Burrow doesn't deserve a big contract because he played like shit today.

The reality is Quan led the NFL in tackles, led the NFL in run stops, and led the NFL in passer rating against prior to the Dallas game. He is the only off ball LB with multiple ints and sacks. He literally gave up just his 3rd TD in coverage in almost 5 years. The dude is more than deserving of a big contract. The timing and situation was just not right for the Bears at the moment but let's stop trying to knock him because we did not want to pay him.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
It actually will be interesting to see if any team is willing to give Smith 20 mill per season for an MLB or Will next offseason.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I will also say this. Some of the criticisms of Quan are just silly. No player at any position delivers game in and game out. It would be like saying Joe Burrow doesn't deserve a big contract because he played like shit today.

The reality is Quan led the NFL in tackles, led the NFL in run stops, and led the NFL in passer rating against prior to the Dallas game. He is the only off ball LB with multiple ints and sacks. He literally gave up just his 3rd TD in coverage in almost 5 years. The dude is more than deserving of a big contract. The timing and situation was just not right for the Bears at the moment but let's stop trying to knock him because we did not want to pay him.
I never understood the criticism here. He's a terrific player. And Baltimore will pay him. They didn't trade a 5th and 2nd for a rental. I hope he does well there.

I am perfectly fine with this move, as I have stated. I think it's the right thing given the circumstances. But I agree, trashing Roquan is silly.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

The thing is…Joe burrow is a QB. When he delivers, it’s elite impact at the most important position in sports.

CreepyBasementGuy

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
isnt the whole point of rebuilding to acquire talent like roquan smith to build around? a 25 year old good linebacker and leader?