So after a quarter of the season, is Roquan worth more than S. Leonard?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
He's not magically worth $22M because we don't have someone else on defense to spend it on. We can get that other person.
Stop with the strawman arguments.

You pay a player what they're worth. You don't load them up for no reason just to spend money. Again, I point to the Cutler contract. That did no good and it hampered the team for the rest of the contract.
Smith could increase his value but up to now he hasn't been worth what he thinks he is.
Almost no player is "worth" what they end up getting paid in FA.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Can't answer that until after the 1st quarter in Minnesota when it will be the true quarter mark of the season.

Thanks.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He's not magically worth $22M because we don't have someone else on defense to spend it on. We can get that other person.

You pay a player what they're worth. You don't load them up for no reason just to spend money. Again, I point to the Cutler contract. That did no good and it hampered the team for the rest of the contract.
Smith could increase his value but up to now he hasn't been worth what he thinks he is.

How much is being the only LB in the top 5 in run stops and passer rating against worth?

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I highly doubt if that's going to be a problem and they're scrambling to figure out where to spend it. We won't need to give Smith $22M for 7 years because we can't find any FAs. But nice strawman.
no one said anything about 22m over 7 years

now i want them to give him a huge deal just to watch you bitch and moan and cry about it

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

Wait, who said anything about 22Mil? You're the one throwing out that number. And the Cutler contract doesn't make any sense to help you prove your point. 1. Cutler was a QB. 2. Cutler had 11% (17 Mil) of a 156Mil cap. Your random 22Mil number (which nobody in this thread has agreed to pay him) would be a lower % of a 220Mil cap. And it wasn't the Cutler contract that hampered the team. They were paying over 25Mil for bad outside LBs in 2016 (McPhee, Houston, Willie Young). They were a terrible team that needed to be broken apart.

And no, you don't HAVE to spend on Roquan because there is nobody else. But if your choice is Roquan (bird in the hand) vs. a chance to sign 2-3 players for a combination of the same money you'd give him, who will also have a choice of 31 other teams, isn't as slam dunk a choice as you think it is.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure the Bears have had a player that CCS has ever thought was 'worth the money' lol.
At the time, was Gould worth it?

I know people thought he was AFTER the double doink.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There's no reason to worry about locking him up now (we have a whopping $7M in cap space). He's here for his 5th and if he doesn't like the offer he can be tagged next year as affordably as a contract. I would kind of like to see him be tested with a tagging, would he withhold his services or would he play to prove his worth?

If after the year is over he's made impacts to the W/L record, doing more than slowing down the offense which has been all he has done previously I'd say pay him what he wants.
I think Smith is a very good linebacker but not a huge difference maker. I agree that there is no need to lock him up now.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Wait, who said anything about 22Mil? You're the one throwing out that number. And the Cutler contract doesn't make any sense to help you prove your point. 1. Cutler was a QB. 2. Cutler had 11% (17 Mil) of a 156Mil cap. Your random 22Mil number (which nobody in this thread has agreed to pay him) would be a lower % of a 220Mil cap. And it wasn't the Cutler contract that hampered the team. They were paying over 25Mil for bad outside LBs in 2016 (McPhee, Houston, Willie Young). They were a terrible team that needed to be broken apart.

And no, you don't HAVE to spend on Roquan because there is nobody else. But if your choice is Roquan (bird in the hand) vs. a chance to sign 2-3 players for a combination of the same money you'd give him, who will also have a choice of 31 other teams, isn't as slam dunk a choice as you think it is.

OMG! Learn WTF you're talking about before saying sign him. Smith wants $22M or better. That's not per 7 years like the other moron says. That's per year. It's $100M over the contract he wants to be the highest paid LB.

If you are saying to lock him up you are saying to pay him $22M or more per year for at least 5 years. If you're not agreeing to $22M you're not saying to lock him up.
Random number my ass. Random morons on CCS is more like it.

If all Smith can do (not saying this is his limit) is tackle for gains 70% of the time you can indeed look elsewhere. There's no reason to lock that up for $22M/yr. That should be within the abilities of every 1st string defender.

Cutler's contract hampered the Bears because we couldn't get out of it without a huge cap hit. And we should've got out of it the year after it was signed. I'm the Cutler fanboy and I can admit that he was done. But then again after this Cutler fanboy saw that he wasn't going to cut it this fanboy was also saying he wasn't affordable to cut for at least 3 years and was getting called a fanboy because of it.
And what happened? Exactly what I said would happen. When the contract time was right he was gone.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
no one said anything about 22m over 7 years

now i want them to give him a huge deal just to watch you bitch and moan and cry about it

Go to a shrink and get some antipsychosis meds. What nobody said was anything about 7 years. That's $22M per year that he wants. You saying to sign him is saying to pay him that much. It doesn't matter what fantasy world you're living in, that's reality.

Oh hell yeah, Roquan smith for $3M per year??? Sign him. God you're a dumb fuck.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I highly doubt if that's going to be a problem and they're scrambling to figure out where to spend it. We won't need to give Smith $22M for 7 years because we can't find any FAs. But nice strawman.

You: I never said anything about 7 years/22 million

Clearly you're fucking stupid

shoez90

Liked Posts:
He is the only LB in the NFL in the top 5 in run stops and passer rating as he is 4th in the former with 17 (leader has 22) and 2nd in the latter with 31.8 (leader is 22.9). This is with a really porous DL. There comes a point where you are just looking at excuses to not pay him. Shit or get off the pot.
But are his numbers inflated bcuz his tackles are after the guy has a first down? Also Leonard is playing so the gauge is blurry maybe? These are logical questions not dumping on a bear. I think he needs a new contract I just think it should reflect the price for position. If he's top five pay him top five but number one highest ever hmmm that's where I double check the math personally. We shall see

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Not worth it. He strays away from his gap assingment way too often and is burned by it. AN elite LB makes that crucial 3 and 6 stop that Tyrod Taylor juked Roquan on.

Everyone talks about how many tackles he has. Anyone playing WILL on this defense would rack up tons of tackles.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not worth it. He strays away from his gap assingment way too often and is burned by it. AN elite LB makes that crucial 3 and 6 stop that Tyrod Taylor juked Roquan on.

Everyone talks about how many tackles he has. Anyone playing WILL on this defense would rack up tons of tackles.
Was Brian Urlacher an elite LB?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

This is overblown, IMO. It’s one play against a very mobile and strong QB who has made guys miss like that for a long time in his career. It’s like saying an elite LB makes a crucial stop of Tom Brady as opposed to getting juked out of their shoes :coughcoughUrlachercough:

It’s one play