So, did Fields shut up the critics?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
No, I was saying the exact opposite. The Northwestern game shouldn't have brought critics the way they did. The Sugar Bowl shouldn't move him back to QB2, if he wasn't there already.

My post wasn't very clear where i stood, and I know there's a lot of posters and a lot of threads on this board, but I've been one of the people saying that Fields is QB2 and won't fall past the 2nd pick because he'd be the best QB prospect in any draft that doesn't have a generational talent (Lawrence) or a QB having put together the best college season ever (Burrow). Fields is phenomenal. Always has been.

Well ya know, all the pundits have been pumping Lawrence as "elite", "generational", #1 etc., but when the spotlight came on.....
Fields was like " whatta minute, hold my beer". ?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Well ya know, all the pundits have been pumping Lawrence as "elite", "generational", #1 etc., but when the spotlight came on.....

Lawrence still did very well in that game. 69% completion, 400 yards, 2 TDs, and another rushing. Lawrence is still comfortably ahead of Fields.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I was not high on fields after the NW game. He was my #3 qb.

I am very high on him after what I saw from last night.

If he repeats that performance against bama and wins the ship, shit, I'd consider him over lawrence.

Name the $ amount and I'll take Lawrence drafted ahead of fields (unless Lawrence is dead, has a career ending injury or quits the game).

It doesn't matter what Fields does vs Bama....Jax or whoever they trade the pick to is taking LAWRENCE

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
The best future NFL QB wasnt even on the field last night. That kid that started against ND DJ Uaigelelei is an absolute beast! 6`4 250lbs accurate has an absolute cannon for an arm. I cant wait to see what he does next year.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hard to evaluate imo. He has NFL talent on his team at every level......he damn sure has the ability to be special...but will his brain adjust to speed and equal talent in the NFL?

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't watch a whole lot of college ball, but after watching him play the other day, I figure he should be at the top of the draft class.. His RB Sermon wasn't bad either!

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Trevor is still living off the hype of his freshman year. People forget he didn't even look in Burrows ballpark last year in the championship game. He's the one I'm not sold on.

He was outplayed by Fields and Burrow and all we hear is about he's a generational prospect blah blah blah. Andrew Luck NFL career is so overrated and he wasn't close to the best ever.

I’m no Nostradamus, and I could be wrong. But I’ve thought for a while that Lawrence has a fairly good chance of just being an average NFL quarterback.

I’m not some great analyst. I just use my eyes. Watching Lawrence reminds me a bit of when I’d watch Darnold and Rosen and think, “Wait, these are the guys everyone’s crazy about?”

For every Joe Burrow, there’s a Jake Locker. I’d just warn people against thinking anyone is a sure thing.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m no Nostradamus, and I could be wrong. But I’ve thought for a while that Lawrence has a fairly good chance of just being an average NFL quarterback.

I’m not some great analyst. I just use my eyes. Watching Lawrence reminds me a bit of when I’d watch Darnold and Rosen and think, “Wait, these are the guys everyone’s crazy about?”

For every Joe Burrow, there’s a Jake Locker. I’d just warn people against thinking anyone is a sure thing.
I get the same feeling that he will just be an average NFL player

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I haven’t spent too much time watching OSU football but he was incredibly impressive against Clemson. He displayed poise, accuracy, toughness and leadership. He did that against one of the best teams in the country. I’m sure he has flaws but he looks like he has the skill, intelligence and athleticism to excel in the NFL.

I hope the Jets understand they have to first and foremost build an o-line and running game that will protect him while he develops.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I highly recommend watching the Elite 11 high-school competition. It's a goldmine from a scouting perspective in terms of seeing both tangibles and intangibles of the top HS qbs, including Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields. Yes, I realize it's high school and it was almost 4 years ago, but you get to see a lot of what goes into the character of a person, how they throw when they're under pressure to win, and how they respond to personal challenges. And watching that and seeing their college careers since, it seemed to me that while Trevor Lawrence has the more talented arm, Justin Fields is as cool as the underside of a pillow.

Listen, I'm not hating on Trevor Lawrence. He's got an absolute cannon of an arm, seems to be a great leader, and as I said has quintessential QB measurables. He's got "franchise QB" written all over him, and given a good enough team around him will probably win a Super Bowl or two. But when the game was on the line, it's almost like he was forcing balls in order to live up to the pressure of having such an abundance of God-given talent, if that makes any sense. I think that will get better with maturity and a healthy dose of "IDGAF"-ness. He might to have to fail and reach the "screw it I'm just going to have a blast throwing this rock around- whatever happens, happebs" phase of growth.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I haven’t spent too much time watching OSU football but he was incredibly impressive against Clemson. He displayed poise, accuracy, toughness and leadership. He did that against one of the best teams in the country. I’m sure he has flaws but he looks like he has the skill, intelligence and athleticism to excel in the NFL.

I hope the Jets understand they have to first and foremost build an o-line and running game that will protect him while he develops.
I think most mocks have Fields going #2 to Jets. I don't get the feeling Jets take him though. They either trade down or take Sewell. That would leave Fields for other QB needy teams like Panthers, Broncos and even possibly the Pats.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think most mocks have Fields going #2 to Jets. I don't get the feeling Jets take him though. They either trade down or take Sewell. That would leave Fields for other QB needy teams like Panthers, Broncos and even possibly the Pats.
My goodness if the Pats got Fields I honestly would think that the Universal Supreme Being really was a Patriots fan. It's bad enough that they had Tom Brady for as long as they did. He clearly loves the Patriots and the Packers ( he gave Green Bay Aaron Rodgers right when the Bears started figuring out Brett Favre).

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
My goodness if the Pats got Fields I honestly would think that the Universal Supreme Being really was a Patriots fan. It's bad enough that they had Tom Brady for as long as they did. He clearly loves the Patriots and the Packers ( he gave Green Bay Aaron Rodgers right when the Bears started figuring out Brett Favre).
He gave the Packers Rodgers as the Bears passed him up in favor of continuing the Grossman project. LMAO

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't watch a whole lot of college ball, but after watching him play the other day, I figure he should be at the top of the draft class.. His RB Sermon wasn't bad either!

Lawrence is suffering from the Watson effect. He has been good from such a young age and has so many games under his belt that people expect epic play each and every time out. Hard to do that for 35 games.

Think he will ultimately be fine. Just too much arm talent, mobility and accuracy not to. And the sample size is large enough ie 35 games that more likely what you see is what you get with him.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He gave the Packers Rodgers as the Bears passed him up in favor of continuing the Grossman project. LMAO
Rex "Screw it- I'm going Deep!" Grossman

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As for Fields, as I said in another thread, the thing about Fields is he was great last year and then had to deal with teams using his tape against him. So yeah he struggled a few games this year but now has proven he can adjust to teams that know his game trying to stop him.

Something we havent seen in a guy like Wilson who only broke out this year and then will leave before being tested after an offseason of teams studying him. I am weary of guys like that as NFL teams will now study him and have a gameplan to deal with him without whoever drafts him having any evidence that he can adjust like Lawrence or Fields did.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Listen, I'm not hating on Trevor Lawrence. He's got an absolute cannon of an arm, seems to be a great leader, and as I said has quintessential QB measurables. He's got "franchise QB" written all over him, and given a good enough team around him will probably win a Super Bowl or two. But when the game was on the line, it's almost like he was forcing balls in order to live up to the pressure of having such an abundance of God-given talent, if that makes any sense. I think that will get better with maturity and a healthy dose of "IDGAF"-ness. He might to have to fail and reach the "screw it I'm just going to have a blast throwing this rock around- whatever happens, happebs" phase of growth.

Well keep in mind he already proved he could perform in the clutch when he had 6 TDs and 0 Ints in the college playoff in 2018 as a true freshmen. And he already best OSU last year as Fields floundered. Lawrence now has 13 combined TDs and 1 Int in 5 college playoff games.

So really this year was Fields chance to show he learned from that beat down and to his credit he did so in the end what you have is 2 QBs that have proven they can deliver when it matters. Just tough to do it each and every time when facing other elite QBs.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Its always good to project a NFL career based on one college bowl game!

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Its always good to project a NFL career based on one college bowl game!

People keep talking the "one college bowl game" narrative. But have u even look at his college career production?

greg23

Liked Posts:
People keep talking the "one college bowl game" narrative. But have u even look at his college career production?

Yeah
Its pretty good
No college qb witj good production has ever failed as a nfl qb

I think osu has more talent than every team they play each year except maybe their bowl game...I think osu runs a pretty basic passing offense...I think osu asks their qb to make one read (and that read is usually a wide open nfl caliber wr vs some big 10 midget corner)

I think he's boom or bust