So, Fields is the real deal? Right?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He looked really good
And I felt like the offence looks much more tailored too his strengths if this is a glimpse of the future we as fans could be in for a really good time over the next decade

Agreed

I'm gonna add this.....if they let him change and potentially call some of his own plays, he could be devastating.

Something he never really had much of either and also in a garbage offense lol trubs will go down imo as another what if qb imagine the possibilities if he went somewhere the coaches and system weren't a dumpster fire
That being said he is gone and let's hope history doesn't repeat itself with fields

I don't think Fields will allow himself to devolve into mediocrity. Not saying that Trubs is mediocre.

Last edited:

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed

I'm gonna add this.....if they let him change and potentially call some of his own plays, he could be devastating.
I'd say that will come in time he is rn learning his second offense in his second season let us hope thats not a trend and by years 2 and 3 in this one he has it mastered and is doing just that
Calling plays at the line ect

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'd say that will come in time he is rn learning his second offense in his second season let us hope thats not a trend and by years 2 and 3 in this one he has it mastered and is doing just that
Calling plays at the line ect
Agreed

For now, if the coaches can just take input from Fields as to the plays he likes running, that will be a big step up from what Nagy was doing or not doing. But it's all gonna come back to OL pass pro.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
True. But id be willing to bet Scrubisky doesnt make that throw. No fucking way he puts it in between two defenders, shit he doesnt even attempt it because he never sees it. Also im betting he overthrows Kmet wide open in the endzone on the last TD. I have said and will continue to say Fields is the real deal. The kid can sling it.

I think Trubisky still reads the CCS forums ???

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Trubisky still reads the CCS forums ???

I think we are gonna see a much different trubs in a much better organization than the one he was drafted into
That being said it's my hope the new FO and coaching staff are going to turn things around in Chicago and they can build a whole new winning culture

That being said that will be a nightmare for me because I'm surrounded by cunt ass steelers fans who would rub that in my face for years

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Something he never really had much of either and also in a garbage offense lol trubs will go down imo as another what if qb imagine the possibilities if he went somewhere the coaches and system weren't a dumpster fire
That being said he is gone and let's hope history doesn't repeat itself with fields
Umm. Like Buffalo and Pittsburgh? Won't be too long before Pickett takes his job.

4THQUARTERCLUTCHLER

Liked Posts:
Pre season or not he looked comfortable in the pocket and made some great throws that were accurate. No matter how he played its just pre season I get it but he looks improved already and I'm sure he has a little more confidence in himself after this which will carry over to the regular season.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well I could..

And you can go back and look at my old threads and verify that.
OK. Lets take a look. Scan down for my takes before the draft and a synopsis.

Fields is overrated and is going to be a bust.

But then again I feel that way about most of the quarterbacks.

Trevor Lawrence I think will just be okay.

Zach Wilson has the best "chance" to be something very good, although I'm not entirely sold on him either.

Seen a lot of love for fields in quite frankly I don't get it.

From a scouting report on him:

I'm sorry but didn't we just leave that shit show?

The scouting report makes him sound like Mitch Trubisky the sequel.

Most athletic strong-armed QBs fail in the NFL.

I'm not against having an athletic, strong-armed quarterback but that alone as traits is probably why most quarterbacks fail and most teams get it wrong.

START with a quarterback who reacts well under pressure and sees the whole field, as well as can diagnose a blitz and beat it regularly.

Then, any athletic gifts they have after that is a bonus.

Thank you got something out of the norm that's going to happen for the Bears?

Go ahead and call it right here.

My outlandish "called it!"?

Atlanta drafts Justin Fields at number four.

Then despite the cap issues, trades Matt Ryan to the Chicago Bears for the number 20th overall pick and the Bears' 2021 first rounder, as well as either Nick Foles or Andy Dalton. Bears then post draft start making moves to make the cap work.

So going to be very honest here.

I don't know how to feel about this pick.

The scouting reports that I saw had him as a developmental project with a lot of physical talent.

However, for those who have followed my brief stint here and my discussions on quarterback, you would know that the number one thing I value in a quarterback isn't physical talent but the ability to read a defense, come off your first receiver, and beat the blitz. These are all things that the scouting reports I read said he struggled with.

Now I don't follow college football because it just isn't as enjoyable as the pro game to me. So I haven't watched a single minute of this kid play. I'm trusting the scouting reports because I have nothing else personally to tell me whether they are right or wrong. But I have seen many many times the scouting reports be completely wrong on a player. And everyone mentions the physical tools Justin Fields has, which at least that is a consensus.

But on the flip side the league has a history of extremely gifted college quarterbacks who fail in the pros because they can't read the defense or keep up.

So that is my main concern.

It's still too early for me to see whether the pick was good or bad. I understand it but I may have wanted to go in a different direction personally and shore up the offensive line, and leave quarterback for next year.

I could entirely be wrong on this and I hope I am. Just more taking a wait and see approach.

The one thing I will say is that this whole discussion about the Bears finally taking a black quarterback is entirely asinine from both sides of the argument. The Bears have had black quarterbacks before and have had black starting quarterbacks before. The fact that they didn't work out isn't a reflection of a prejudice against black quarterbacks, but instead a reflection of just how terrible the Bears are at selecting a quarterback of ANY color, because there have been white quarterbacks who have lasted just as long as the black quarterbacks the Bears have had. You can't argue prejudice when they've just been flat terrible at the position. Well you could make that argument but you'd look like an idiot. Same goes for the knee jerk people who are saying that the other side can shut up now that the Bears have a black quarterback. Even bringing up the discussion is really stupid and if that's the sort of thing that means the most to you it's more of a reflection of just how flawed you are rather than the position of quarterback with the Bears which in and of itself is a Greek tragedy.

Anyway I've said my peace on that bit.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we are gonna see a much different trubs in a much better organization than the one he was drafted into
That being said it's my hope the new FO and coaching staff are going to turn things around in Chicago and they can build a whole new winning culture

That being said that will be a nightmare for me because I'm surrounded by cunt ass steelers fans who would rub that in my face for years
He did not look that great. Staring down his receivers, almost interceptions, not stepping into his throws, throws off back foot with pressure, etc.

He has better receivers for sure, but he won't last long against #1s for a full game.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Ok let's not get carried away. Pretty much all the top QBs can make that throw.

It's preseason. This was a great performance and nice confidence builder but let's not forget Trubisky threw 6 TDs in an actual regular season game before.

Well said Remy!

That's not a special throw. You can also see that throw on Saturdays in college.

Let's wait and see against good teams with legitimate players playing before we get too excited. I remember what happened after Trubitchsky went off. That didn't turn out well.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
And all of them were to wide open guys.

That fields throw was a 30 yard rope.

If a certain person thinks thats a normal NFL throw, no, its not.

WR was in front of the safety and help was late getting there. It wasn't that tight of a window. Nice throw, but let's not overreact.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Brady, Mahomes, Watson, Murray, Stafford, Wilson, Herbert, Ryan, Carr, Burrow, Prescott, Allen, and Rodgers just to name a few that can make that throw.

Like relax dude you always go overboard praising Bears QBs.

It's nice to know that we have a qb that can make that throw and will do it, but it's not a special play.

If you are a franchise qb, that throw NEEDS to be made.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
@Mighty Joe Young .
For contrast, these were my views on Fields before the draft.
I was going to let it go but saw your request to check your thoughts on Fields and took a lookout of curiosity. Seeing how inverse the content was, I couldn't let your bullshit slide. You are so full of it.

I also started a thread before the draft that stated Fields should be the 2nd pick. Basically 1B. Just to be clear, no one had more enthusiasm for Fields to be a Bear than me but I understand the difference between expectation and actually evaluating play.

I couldn't believe that you're now taking that stance after having only negative things to say about Fields before the draft. You disingenuous :poop:. No wonder the board takes the piss out of you.

Who's speculating. It's all a gag and wishful but nobody expects him to be available at 20. I'd consider a move for him if he falls enough to not cost the farm but I don't actually see it happening. That said, almost every draft has surprising drops

I think these college players get overly dissected. He's got the stature, traits and tools. Just draft him.

I'd love to get Fields but that's too much and I don't see it happening even if we try. Too many teams with better draft positions ahead of us probably looking to do the same.

It's not just that. They aren't talking to 1/2 the GMs and it only takes one to like Fields. They way Fields is discussed is odd considering the skill set and results. Makes me wonder if there's some attitude etc concerns. Outside of something like that, I can't correlate all the speculation of him dropping as far as many have him doing.

I just gave my 'what will Pace do in this draft' ideas in another thread. They were appropriately vague.:)

The idea that one rookie pick is going to radically change the Bear fortunes this year is silly. The only way that could possibly happen is if you mortgage some future for a player like Fields, he's all that and acclimates quickly.

I get that pace would like to keep his job next year but what about the following year when his old QBs aren't signed and another year older? He won't be that short sighted.

Fields is a much safer pick than Jones.

But you're not the master baiter. R&S doesn't realize he's been baiting for years.

Hard to know which of the top QBs will do best over time but to get a guy in that conversation for what we paid is a big win. I thought Fields should have gone in the top 3 picks. I won't pretend to know which of these guys has the best career but Fields has a very low fail potential.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lmao he is already gone guys you don't need to diminish everything he does right anymore

We can maybe just admit he might very well succeed somewhere that isn't the fucking clown show pace and Nagy were running

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He did look good today.

Being HIGHLY skeptical, the Browns best pass rushers were out. And some of those "wow" throws were pitch-and-catch for an NFL QB.

...don't get too excited about throws any NFL QB could make. IE...Mitch Trubisky's 5 TD game in '18.
Try watching the entire play. Meaning, look at how Fields went through his read and made the correct read. Look at how on certain plays he manipulated the defender, by making the defender turn his hips the wrong way or looking him off the intended receiver. So many correct decisions. The accuracy. BTW: Mitch had 6 td's in that game.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
#receipts

Love to see it
I couldn't believe how disingenuously righteous he's been. Is it stuff like this that had him gone for a while?
I thought his twitter feed was so, err, unbelievable that it had to be a gag account. Now I know Bernstein was right.

Last edited: