So I subscribed to PFF for a month...

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
...now that we're approaching free agency. Here's the full lists of guys that played at least 25% of snaps. Each list has 2-3 attachments, and I can only attach a max of 5 per post, so unfortunately I can't keep it all condensed together here.

As some have pointed out, it's an imperfect system. I personally disagree with Cutler being ranked 16th, and I have a hard time believing any wide receiver is more important to his team than Brandon Marshall (ranked 9th). But for reference:
Cutler went from being ranked 4th with Denver in 2008 to 28th, 22nd, 16th & 16th with the bears in 2009-2012 respectively

OT
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Other Notes:
Player
Age (Season Start)
2012 Rank (Games Played)
2011 Rank (GP)
2010 Rank (GP)
Ryan Clady
Tied 4th (16)
63rd (16)
9th (16)
Andre Smith
Tied 4th (16)
28th (14)
68th (7)
Gosder Cherilus
8th (16)
37th (16)
25th (12)
William Beatty
12th (16)
33rd (10)
54th (7)
Sebastian Vollmer
13th (15)
23rd (6)
18th (16)
Branden Albert
25th (12)
18th (16)
32nd (15)
Sam Baker
27th (16)
60th (8)
69th (16)
Jermon Bushrod
44th (16)
12th (16)
67th (16)
Jake Long
46th (12)
21st (14)
2nd (16)
J'Marcus Webb
47th (16)
65th (16)
77th (14)

Attachments

• OT1.jpg
    OT1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 247
  • OT2.jpg
    OT2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 720
  • OT3.jpg
    OT3.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OG
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Other Notes:

Levitre ranked 6/78 in 2011 and 36/82 in 2010
Vasquez ranked 30/78 in 2011 and 26/82 in 2010

Attachments

• OG1.jpg
    OG1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 250
  • OG2.jpg
    OG2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 251
  • OG3.jpg
    OG3.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
Thanks for sharing man! I'd love to see Beatty, Baker, or Albert in a Bears jersey but I don't think well have the $ for it.

Any chance you could post the OG and/or TE listing?

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
can you post the ratings for the centers? i would like to see how good or how bad garza was according to pff

THANKS!!

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Absurd. Spaeth is clearly better than gronk.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You should screen shot that stuff

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Thanks for posting Peppers. Actually it's easy to post the charts.

Step 1 -- highlight the chart with cursor and copy (control + C)
Step 2 -- open new post (start new thread or reply)
Step 3 -- In the upper left hand of the post window, click on the "A/A" square.
Step 4 -- click mouse cursor about two lines down (if you want to type something above your chart) and paste chart.
and post!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
You know Webb is a better pass protector than Bushrod... per PFF grading

pass protection: Webb +1.4, Bushrod -3.5.
Run blocking: Webb -1.9, Bushrod +2.0.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
And spaeth is a better te than all but 6 guys

Maybe he is. Perceptions are sometimes loaded with prior assumptions (like 'Dallas Clark has to be better than Spaeth'); whereas the PFF stats/grades are assumption free, and unbiased. I'm not saying they're the only thing, but last thing to be completely ignored.

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Maybe he is. Perceptions are sometimes loaded with prior assumptions (like 'Dallas Clark has to be better than Spaeth'); whereas the PFF stats/grades are assumption free, and unbiased. I'm not saying they're the only thing, but last thing to be completely ignored.

Lol well good to know we don't need a TE upgrade! We have a TE who performed better than Jimmy Graham, Vernon Davis, Tony Gonzalez, etc!

These grades are not inherently assumption and biased free just because they are statistics. This isn't a knock on you, but I'm willing to bet you have no idea how they formulate these final, overall ratings. There is plenty of biases and assumptions ingrained with how they calculate this "overall rating", along with how they determine blocking ratings. The raters are not privy to what player assignments were, do not account for how much "help" players receive from other players in their blocking assignments, etc.

This isn't like receiving/quarterback stats which are far more objective because there is much less room for interpretation when it comes to things like incompletions, catches, dropped balls, etc.

peanut33tillman

Liked Posts:
Kept hearing all off season both Long and Bushrod were VERY average this past year, this certainly would suggest that.

StrongerThanAll

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol well good to know we don't need a TE upgrade! We have a TE better than Jimmy Graham, Vernon Davis, Tony Gonzalez, etc!

These grades are not inherently assumption and biased free just because they are statistics. This isn't a knock on you, but I'm willing to bet you have no idea how they formulate these ratings. There is plenty of biases and assumptions ingrained with how they determine success or failure in blocking grades. The raters are not privy to what player assignments were, do not account for how much "help" players receive from other players in their blocking assignments, etc.

This isn't like receiving/quarterback stats which are far more objective because there is no room for interpretation when it comes to things like incompletions, catches, dropped balls, etc.

"Emery said the Bears focused on tackles but there were no elite ones available in free agency. He went into detail explaining how the Bears subscribe to data from STATS and Pro Football Focus to aid in their evaluation process"

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-01/sports/ct-spt-0102-o-line-bears-chicago--20130102_1_phil-emery-offensive-line-evaluation-process

Getting nervous about the draft yet?

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
I agree with that, hes a very good blocker. That doesn't mean he is overall the 6th best TE in the league.

No, and that's not what this list gets at. It's a grading metric for each snap they played. In the role he was asked to fill, he did a better job than all but 5 TEs did in their roles. It does not take into account the variance in roles. Does that discredit the stats? No, it just means you have to use some common sense when you read and interpret it.

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
"Emery said the Bears focused on tackles but there were no elite ones available in free agency. He went into detail explaining how the Bears subscribe to data from STATS and Pro Football Focus to aid in their evaluation process"

Yes, stats/data from these sources as an aid. That doesn't mean hes using the overall rating/rankings from PFF as his sole source, because he isn't. Its one of several things to consider when making player evaluations. Several here are relying on it as the only thing to judge a lineman by.

I'm not saying there is zero value to the ratings. Some are just misinterpreting their use/relying too heavily on them.