So I watched last year's 9er's vs Bears game again last night....

Liked Posts:
The Trey Lance stuff intrigues me. I don't think the 49ers don't like him, I think he's probably not as far along as they had hoped. He just hasn't had the reps. Some high school and college freshman QBs have had more reps than Trey Lance(Lance started 1 year in high school, and 1 year in college). He wasn't drafted for what he's done. He was drafted for what he COULD do.

If our defense is any good week 1, he won't show it. If we don't pressure him, I'd be concerned that he'll play well. But I think we have to get after him to have a chance to win.
Problem is that the 9ers are good enough to beat the bears without a quarterback. All he’s gotta do is hand it off and be good at play action.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Even if Lance sucks, Robbie Gould will beat the Bears. Robbie Gould is more Bear than any of these Bears.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
More playoff wins than the Bears since the turn of the millennium and has had some of the worst injury plagued teams over the past few years.

I actually like the guy and his offense, (I was even surprised by his record.) but I know he’s not infallible, and has down right struggled to manage some of his games.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
More playoff wins than the Bears since the turn of the millennium and has had some of the worst injury plagued teams over the past few years.
A lot of coaches have more playoff wins than the Bears do. Not exactly hard to do. But he is a genius offensive mind, just hasn't put it altogether as a head coach, .yet.

Bearey Palpatine

Liked Posts:
Talked to an old work mate, today, whose a 49ers fan and he out and out said this game scares him. Particularly JF running all over SF's defense like Hulkamania. He seems really confident Justin "The Force" Fields is going to blow up this Sun.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Counterpoint: Nagy is gone. The Bears ARE allowed to make their own adjustments.

It is an unknown if adjustments will be made by the Bears, but don't assume that the Bears won't adjust because the previous coach couldn't adjust ... ever.
I hope Getsy and Williams/Flus make good in game adjustments, I know it will be better than Nagyizm, but the reality is they have never done it, so it is not a leap to think that the SF staff might be better at it.

I like what we have seen in the preseason but until this coaching staff and players go out and put it into a real game it would be hard to say they can compete with a top notch team like SF.

Bottom line, I think this team is going to be a lot better than people think, but it will take a little time for them to compete with the best teams.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I hope Getsy and Williams/Flus make good in game adjustments, I know it will be better than Nagyizm, but the reality is they have never done it, so it is not a leap to think that the SF staff might be better at it.

I like what we have seen in the preseason but until this coaching staff and players go out and put it into a real game it would be hard to say they can compete with a top notch team like SF.

Bottom line, I think this team is going to be a lot better than people think, but it will take a little time for them to compete with the best teams.
I agree.

One thing that gives me hope is that both Nagy and Trestman had pretty good first year offenses because they were unknowns. Once people figured them out, neither was able to adjust.

An unknown offense and a weak schedule may, oh please oh please oh please, make for a fun 2022 for the Bears.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I agree.

One thing that gives me hope is that both Nagy and Trestman had pretty good first year offenses because they were unknowns. Once people figured them out, neither was able to adjust.

An unknown offense and a weak schedule may, oh please oh please oh please, make for a fun 2022 for the Bears.
I know it sounds like I'm a little pessimistic, but I am more excited about this year than I have been in a long time, because it just feels like this staff is "professional' and not gimmicky.

I really, really hope and think that this coaching staff will not out think themselves.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I know it sounds like I'm a little pessimistic, but I am more excited about this year than I have been in a long time, because it just feels like this staff is "professional' and not gimmicky.

I really, really hope and think that this coaching staff will not out think themselves.
We have all been through some really bad Bears seasons and most are a bit (or a whole lot) pessimistic. There really are some basic things that the new GM and HC are doing that are making the team better for the future such as the players running to the ball and them also being much more disciplined than they were in years past.

These are such obvious things that will make them better without affecting the salary cap that it is criminal to find out that Nagy never practiced such things as the scramble drill.

Like you said, the team is becoming much more professional at least so far. If they can make that a part of the team going forward, it will lead to better play and more victories before Poles spends money on free agency next year.

I believe that the arrow is finally pointing up for the Bears. It will probably take some time for the victories to become a regular thing, but, at least, there is hope for a better direction going forward.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not seeing much about takeaways. Stats are very clear over decades of data that a team that leads in takeaways has a much higher % of winning. +2 or more = higher yet. Coaching takeaways and ball security has seemed more prevalent with this staff than ever before. We saw how this won them tons of games in 2018 despite weak offense, and took the 2006 team to the SB.

They are starting the same culture here but hopefully with some strength on offense this time too. Roster is very raw and inexperienced, so it'll be fun to see who rises and who gets added next year. Loving the weak schedule too.

SF has put all their eggs in the Lance basket despite him being very raw & inexperienced. Keeping Jimmy G around only adds more pressure. Bears have nothing to lose and zero expectations from the outside. Essentially playing on free house money this year.
SF & Lance have a LOT on their shoulders in a huge trap game with little to prep on. Can't wait.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m still not impressed with the 49’ers.

Otherwise… the Bears might not be so crappy after all. ?