So many and various holes but what if Poles still drafts with only "BPA" as the strategy and literally drafts only highest rated selections irregardl

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
essly of whether or not the team has a need at the position which the player plays?

For instance what if the first selection Poles makes is for a corner back or a safety or a guard?

I would literally launch my projector into one of the vases sitting just outside of the screen which would have previously had the draft coverage playing on it prior to me yanking the projector down from the ceiling and slinging it with all of my might into a vase causing a huge mess to be cleaned up later.

Poles has holes to fill not luxury picks to make!

bear4life21

ChiCitySports Newb
Liked Posts:
1st round picks should always be BPA.. REGARDLESS as to what you currently have on the depth chart. Competition breeds success. You fill holes with Free Agency and Draft your stars in the early rounds of your draft and grab depth in the later rounds. This system has proved fruitful time and time again.

VickAshley✅️verified

Liked Posts:
1st round picks should always be BPA.. REGARDLESS as to what you currently have on the depth chart. Competition breeds success. You fill holes with Free Agency and Draft your stars in the early rounds of your draft and grab depth in the later rounds. This system has proved fruitful time and time again.
So you are saying that it Poles rates a qb as literally the best player available at his first round selection then he should take him despite having zero hole there unless you're suggesting back up quarterback is a hole but I would counter immediaterly that back up is not a starter and only starter holes should be considered even though you say they shouldn't if we're talking 1st rounders?

I feel that is way to ridiculously rigid of a precept to follow and would literally unfollow it in this scenario.

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
@Spartan any shot you could put a good word in with the wife and see if she can come show Poles how to get all the holes filled in one go?

bear4life21

ChiCitySports Newb
Liked Posts:
Poles has already come out and stated for him to even consider a QB he would have to be blown away. It is plausible that a QB is the highest rated player on Poles' board. I would not condone moving on from Justincredible Fields, but, I am certain if a QB is taken By Chicago at 1 there would be a market to move Fields to the highest bidder.

Surely, there will be other options with a grade in the same ballpark as the QB to be named. Anderson Jr., Carter and Wilson to name a few. It is plausible that poles if he doesn't trade out of number 1 overall that he takes one of these guys instead. Only Poles, Cunningham and Chicago's staff of college scouts knows how each player ranks on Chicago's draft big board.

No one really knows how the draft will shake out for us in Chicago until its over and the dust clears. I will always be a proprietor of taking BPA in round one no matter what. Regardless.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The reason no team has ever done this before is that it is stupid.

Ignoring team needs is a terrific way to become a former NFL executive.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Poles has already come out and stated for him to even consider a QB he would have to be blown away. It is plausible that a QB is the highest rated player on Poles' board. I would not condone moving on from Justincredible Fields, but, I am certain if a QB is taken By Chicago at 1 there would be a market to move Fields to the highest bidder.

Surely, there will be other options with a grade in the same ballpark as the QB to be named. Anderson Jr., Carter and Wilson to name a few. It is the plausible that poles if he doesn't trade out of number 1 overall that he takes one of these guys instead. Only Poles, Cunningham and Chicago's staff of college scouts knows how each player ranks on Chicago's draft big board.

No one really knows how the draft will shake out for us in Chicago until it’s over and the dust clears. I will always be a proprietor of taking BPA in round one no matter what. Regardle
That is flawed logic. It is literally like communism, it only works on paper. If you know who the best player available is then of course you draft him, but how do you ever know who the best is?

Also, let say you have a GM who is an Elite scout and he can accurately predict the best player available, and he works for the Cincinnati Bengals, and he identifies a wide receiver as best player available in the first round. You are suggesting that he should draft another wide receiver in the first round?

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is why teams trade draft picks. If the BPA at #1 is a QB and you don't need a QB then you trade that pick to a team that needs a QB. It's really not that difficult of concept to comprehend.

VickAshley✅️verified

Liked Posts:

Holeheartingly and thoroughbredly agree 100% but there are fans that think that Poles will ignore holes if the best player available is something the bears don't need!

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
By no analysis I've seen are any of this years QB prospects considered BPA at 1.

Now when the Bears move back in the draft picking up multiple picks then by all means fo BPA. Once you get past the first 2 rounds the BPA becomes pretty moot as the pool of players at every pick would/could be graded pretty closely. Similar to Anderson and Carter at the top of the draft.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
You use free agency to plug holes so you're not desperate to grab a certain position. Picking a need player well above a guy who's a lot better of a prospect is a good way to have a short NFL exec career. It'd be like if corner was a big need and the bears decided to take Ringo #1 overall because of it. Not smart.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
As an aside, if there's a QB prospect you really like in the 3rd round or beyond, I think you take him. QB is the most important position by far and you want to have a talented backup in case Fields goes down. Then if that guy plays well you've got a great trade chip, like Garopollo was at one point for New England or how Cousins stepped in for Washington.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Why is this even a conversation piece?

Everyone knows that the true way of drafting is not BPA, but rather BPA at a position of need.

If there is a player who is head and shoulders above everyone else (BPA) but is not an upgrade to what the Bears have, then you have an opportunity to trade down with a team who sees the value of the player. The key word being upgrade. If that player is an upgrade to what you currently have, you take him, though it was not technically a position of need because when you have a body filling a spot, it is basically a position of need if the draft prospect is going to certainly upgrade to position by a lot.

If you have several players ranked as BPA and one is of a position of need, you draft him because he is BPA and he plays a position of need.

The worst choice is picking players that fill needs but are over-drafted to fill the needs of a team. Doing this will fill your team with mediocre players. You will have all of your present needs filled with these mediocre players. Once the good players are gone due to injury, salary cap, free agency or retirement, the team fills those gaps with, you guessed it, more mediocre players. This will make a team that always drafts in the 7 to 12 spots for years, if not decades.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
That is flawed logic. It is literally like communism, it only works on paper. If you know who the best player available is then of course you draft him, but how do you ever know who the best is?

Also, let say you have a GM who is an Elite scout and he can accurately predict the best player available, and he works for the Cincinnati Bengals, and he identifies a wide receiver as best player available in the first round. You are suggesting that he should draft another wide receiver in the first round?
Possibly yes, and let Higgins walk. They have recently done that. They had two #1 receivers, yet they drafted Chase. They could have protected their franchise QB with an OT, but chose Chase.

If that WR was absolutely the BPA player (meaning future production), it would be a wise decision by Cincinnati because they would actually upgrade their receiving room, scary as that would be, while lowering their salary cap for the future expenses of new contracts for Burrows and Chase.

By the way, your logic is also flawed.

There isn't, there wasn't and there never will be an elite scout who can accurately predict the BPA. You have to deal with the reality of 2023. Scouts can only amass their information by watching film, talking to people and using their stop watches, not some mind-meld / time machine / Back-to-the-Future almanac that tells people the all pros of future years.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You use free agency to plug holes so you're not desperate to grab a certain position. Picking a need player well above a guy who's a lot better of a prospect is a good way to have a short NFL exec career. It'd be like if corner was a big need and the bears decided to take Ringo #1 overall because of it. Not smart.
Absolutely, not smart!

Witherspoon is MUCH better than Ringo.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think maybe a better way to say it would be "Don't draft the guy who is not BPA".

Seems some people are having trouble understanding "Draft BPA" doesn't mean "never trade".

Don't pass on BPA for other positions just because of who is on your roster at the moment.

It clearly looks tougher for a team full of holes to adhere to that, but that is where trading for more picks comes in.

Green Bay didn't need a QB when they drafted Aaron Rodgers. Was it a mistake? Of course not.

A year ago, Baltimore drafted Kyle Hamilton at Safety when they had bigger needs. Today he's a young All Pro. Granted, they still have offensive needs and were not a strong contender, but Lamar Jackson's injury was responsible for that. They aren't regretting that pick.

One thing we need to remember is there are groups of players ranked similarly by GM's. They don't literally rank every player 1-500 and take the highest one on the board. They draft or trade within those ranges. i.e. If there are 5 guys they have rated similarly, position need would determine which of those 5 they take. But if there was a guy on the board ranked much higher at a position that was not as big a need, they would take that player, based on talent. And that is NOT what gets GMs fired. What gets GMs fired is constantly missing on these guys because they're looking only at holes on their own roster.

No GM gets fired for taking All Pros at positions that were not their team's greatest need on draft day.

Sure, sometimes a player who becomes an All Pro outplayed everyone's expectations, but in most cases when you see that some of the best players fell in the draft it is because GMs were drafting for need and ignoring the obvious. Those are often the GMs who are no longer employed.