So, this is what if feels like to be the team without the penalties...

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I was watching the game last night and watching Seattle make all the mistakes was something new for me. I'm used to watching Nagy. Let's be real; if it was Nagy coaching last night, we would have had 15-20 penalties for a shit ton of yards and looked even worse than they did.

Nagy would have mentioned something about the man in the mirror or the whys. Something fuckin' nauseating.

Anyway, I was watching virtually mistake free football for over a half. Yeah, a rookie RB bumped Dazz on ST and caused a fumble. There was a holding call. That shit happens, but to see such well-executed and coached football on our team was a revelation. The fact that a Pete Carroll-coached team looked like the lesser coached and lesser disciplined team only highlights how good 'Flus is doing.

I can't remember the last time we were the team that was disciplined. With disciplined hard football, we will win some games.

So, yeah, this is what it feels like to be the team that doesn't make all the penalties. It feels good.

Last edited:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I was watching the game last night and watching Seattle make all the mistakes was something new for me. I'm used to watching Nagy. Let's be real; if it was Nagy coaching last night, we would have had 15-20 penalties for a shit ton of yards and looked even worse than they did.

Nagy would have mentioned something about the man in the mirror or the whys. Something fuckin' nauseating.

Anyway, as I was watching virtually mistake free football for over a half. Yeah, a rookie RB bumped Dazz on ST and caused a fumble. There was a holding call. That shit happens, but to see such well-executed and coached football on our team was a revelation. The fact that a Pete Carroll-coached team looked like the lesser coached and lesser disciplined team only highlights how good 'Flus is doing.

I can't remember the last time we were the team that was disciplined. With disciplined hard football, we will win some games.

So, yeah, this is what it feels like to be the team that doesn't make all the penalties. It feels good.
And, it's the preseason. If those mistakes were going to come out, this would be the time. Not to mention this staff has only had OTAs and part if TC to instill that discipline. I'm pretty excited about that.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:

Considering last year's 2nd preseason game was a 41-15 shellacking to the Bill's, I believe you are correct.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Anyway, I was watching virtually mistake free football for over a half. Yeah, a rookie RB bumped Dazz on ST and caused a fumble. There was a holding call. That shit happens, but to see such well-executed and coached football on our team was a revelation. The fact that a Pete Carroll-coached team looked like the lesser coached and lesser disciplined team only highlights how good 'Flus is doing.

It was nice to see such a little penalized game by the Bears but damn am i worried about Fields losing another season, that he should be growing, with a bad OL and weapons around him. Yeah we haven't seen this team with L.Patrick and R.Rieff but we don't know if it'll be better with either of them. We don't know if Patrick will be good as a full time starter since he's never been and Reiff should be an upgrade but he's still just average, maybe good.

Edit: Dieter Eislen should start the 3rd game at center.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
It was nice to see such a little penalized game by the Bears but damn am i worried about Fields losing another season, that he should be growing, with a bad OL and weapons around him. Yeah we haven't seen this team with L.Patrick and R.Rieff but we don't know if it'll be better with either of them. We don't know if Patrick will be good as a full time starter since he's never been and Reiff should be an upgrade but he's still just average, maybe good.

Edit: Dieter Eislen should start the 3rd game at center.
I did like what I saw from Eislen.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Nagy's teams were incredibly sloppy, not just in penalties but in all aspects of play. That is one of the reasons he was a horrible coach because he was not detail oriented.

You are going to get some push back with a strict coach (e.g. Jenkins). But the coaches aren't here to make friends they are here to win games. The best in the business is Belichick and he is extremely strict and detailed oriented.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Nagy's teams were incredibly sloppy, not just in penalties but in all aspects of play. That is one of the reasons he was a horrible coach because he was not detail oriented.

You are going to get some push back with a strict coach (e.g. Jenkins). But the coaches aren't here to make friends they are here to win games. The best in the business is Belichick and he is extremely strict and detailed oriented.

Nagy was too busy looking at his denny's menu to worry about that stuff

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
Considering last year's 2nd preseason game was a 41-15 shellacking to the Bill's, I believe you are correct.
Yeah I remember watching that game. That team got their asses handed to them on a tray and the tray was bent. We should have all known then.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I did like what I saw from Eislen.
I know he played against 2nd and 3rd string but he didn't look bad and this coming from a guy that's barely got any real playing time since being in the NFL. Thought he was done when he was down with the leg injury but he came right back and played the rest of the game.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I know he played against 2nd and 3rd string but he didn't look bad and this coming from a guy that's barely got any real playing time since being in the NFL. Thought he was done when he was down with the leg injury but he came right back and played the rest of the game.

You cant look much worse than Mustipher. He makes every player on that line worse.

Only reason he's still on this team is because he can actually snap the ball

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I'm pretty pleased as well so far on the penalty front. I'm very worried about the offensive line but at least we're not having to worry about an offensive line committing a bunch of penalties and being terrible. If they can keep not committing penalties and bad turnovers than even a marginal improvement in other areas could have a drastic effect on the outcome of the season. At a minimum, it's a very good building block heading into preseason week 3.

Speed

Liked Posts:
At the expense of dipping too much into hyperbole I can understand why the players would love Nagy. Hell I love the guy as a person, and he obviously has to have some football smarts, but man accountability seemed to be real low. The team constantly shooting itself in the foot at the worst times, when your 2nd round WR gets voted to be the most likely to be late and it's a joke to everybody, and the list just goes on.

Doug Plank

Liked Posts:
Live in Seattle and was at the game last night with my son. Can't tell you how refreshing it was to see the Bears not shoot themselves in the foot constantly and have the other team look unprepared and sloppy. Good times

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The Bears were 12th in penalties last year. Not great, but also not in the top 1/3 of the league. That was the highest they finished under Nagy. They were middle of the pack in 2020 and 2019 (high middle 2020, low middle 2019) and were bottom 7 in 2018. So they got worse every year committing penalties, but it wasn't like it was a debilitating problem. There were much worse problems.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
And, it's the preseason. If those mistakes were going to come out, this would be the time. Not to mention this staff has only had OTAs and part if TC to instill that discipline. I'm pretty excited about that.
It's nice to see you excited man. Sensational.