So we traded the #33 pick for Claypool?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
The 32nd pick for Claypool is not good value. Not sure why that makes some of you some angry. Hopefully he plays much better next year. But if you can't find a better player at pick 32 than Claypool you are not a good GM.

It's weird how for some people, to say anything critical of someone is to admit they're terrible or something.

Most of us can honestly say, "Yeah, this person screwed up this thing" without automatically jumping to them being terrible at their job.

As far as Poles, we just don't know yet. But make no mistake, the Claypool stuff is in the "con" category right now. I'm also discouraged that the Bears didn't acquire anyone (other than probably Brisker) last offseason who we can look at now and say, "Man we've really got ourselves a major value here that's really going to work out." If this was supposed to be a development year, where's the development?

That said, I'm content to continue to sit back, wait and watch. I see good, and I see bad. But there's nothing wrong about being honest about a move looking like shit. And the Claypool move looks like shit.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Wel, Poles can blame himself. He could have drafted Pickens with either of the Bears second round picks. Of course, the test will be how both receivers develop.
Even Brisker and Gordon fans were already backpedaling on the second round picks immediately post-draft.

I recall saying something like, "Well, if Pickens balls out and becomes an incredible receiver---and Brisker and Gordon are merely good---that will have been a failure, considering the Bears are trying to develop a young quarterback." I remember people freaking out and saying you can't judge how good those second round picks were based on how good Pickens becomes. Even back then, everyone knew Pickens was a stud. If that's the case, though, why not just draft him?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's weird how for some people, to say anything critical of someone is to admit they're terrible or something.

Most of us can honestly say, "Yeah, this person screwed up this thing" without automatically jumping to them being terrible at their job.

As far as Poles, we just don't know yet. But make no mistake, the Claypool stuff is in the "con" category right now. I'm also discouraged that the Bears didn't acquire anyone (other than probably Brisker) last offseason who we can look at now and say, "Man we've really got ourselves a major value here that's really going to work out." If this was supposed to be a development year, where's the development?

That said, I'm content to continue to sit back, wait and watch. I see good, and I see bad. But there's nothing wrong about being honest about a move looking like shit. And the Claypool move looks like shit.

Jones. Sanborn

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Claypool could live up to the 32nd pick with a better offense around him for sure. He may not be special, but he is a guy that can produce. The reason the value of his trade is poor is because you have to pay him if he does produce, much more money than the 32nd pick at the end of the year. Now, if he doesn't get better, then the trade is a complete waste.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Watson has almost 700 all purpose yards and 9 TDs while his QB has had a broken thumb and spent a good part of the beginning of the season ignoring his existence.
I really wanted Watson to fall in that deep class but surprised he even lasted until 2. Easily have been a 1st round pick in this coming draft.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:

well half these responses are the usual old board trolls, and now we have a shyteload of potential new trolls/posters i'm going to have to dig out my troll-o-meter...but hey ....let's make the website like a bar.....a bar full of trolls

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

It does but was difficult to call at the time. May have kept the Packers out of the playoffs. :)

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

I imagine every Bear defeat brought a smile to the Steeler front office all season long.

Claypool may turn out okay, although we haven't seen it yet. And given the Bears drafting history, there's no guarantee that the pick would have been a good one...Pittsburgh, on the other hand, will likely draft a stud.

The Bears took a shot, it looks bad right now, but time will tell. Water under the bridge.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Was 43rd pick at the time of the trade. Poles tried to get some weapons for Fields and was planning for next year due to a sub-par FA class.

Looks like an overpay, but if he and Mooney and my boy JSN take off next year, none of us will give a shit.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wasn't a great trade then, looks worse now at this point. The WR free agents looked poor and I think Poles panicked realizing he had left Fields with a terrible supporting cast. I hope an off-season working with Fields and engrained with the playbook we get more out of him bur for a #32 pick, it is a high bar to measure up to.
It doesn't look any worse now, unless you thought the Bears were going to rally and become a .500 team.

Poles was tanking. The pick being high in the 2nd because he was trying to make the 1st rounder higher is hardly a surprise. I think he understood how it works.

He didn't panic. He surveyed the landscape. And part of bringing in a WR was to not lose Fields mentally as the team showed they weren't blind to the fact the offense needed help.

There will be some WR picked after #32 that will outperform Claypool next year and fans will shout 'See! I told you!", but unless you can tell which that will be right now - and guarantee he'll be available at #32 - it doesn't matter.

Every armchair GM is brilliant. Until they have to make decisions in real time, they'll never make a mistake.

Claypool will be an asset to the Bears' offense in 2023. We all need to relax.

mecha

Liked Posts:
the Chicago Bears successfully landed the #1 overall pick in the draft. jobbing Claypool and the rest of the receivers out for a season actually had a positive impact on the team's future. Fields was not supposed to miss any time and claim Jackson's rushing record. oh well, who fucking cares. he's going to eat lightning and crap thunder next year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Which 3rd year WR that will want a new contract that was traded for midway through the season for an early 2nd round pick has 400 yards this year?

Your question is stupid as I am not advocating we give Claypool a new contract. He will get paid only if he plays well next year so we are still left with it is too early to tell if the trade was worth it.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the

But that isnt the debate. The debate is people claiming it was a bad move with 1 year left to go. If they had said right now it is not looking good then there would be no debate.

Even Brisker and Gordon fans were already backpedaling on the second round picks immediately post-draft.

I recall saying something like, "Well, if Pickens balls out and becomes an incredible receiver---and Brisker and Gordon are merely good---that will have been a failure, considering the Bears are trying to develop a young quarterback." I remember people freaking out and saying you can't judge how good those second round picks were based on how good Pickens becomes. Even back then, everyone knew Pickens was a stud. If that's the case, though, why not just draft him?

Pickens only matters if Gordon/Brisker suck and Bears never get a good WR. If they are good and Claypool or another WR flourishes then it is just a case the Bears prefered a different approach to roster construction.

Last edited:

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
I am more than willing to give the kid a break, he actually got a lot of penalties called on the other teams. Those don't show up in the stats, but they move the ball...I really got the feeling the last three games the Bears were trying to not win, I know tanking is a dirty word, but every win can cost you multiple places in the draft. Remember, the Bears will now be picking first in every round they have a natural pick. I just checked, the Bears will have the first pick in the 1st, 3rd, 4th,5th and 7th rounds...they also have later picks in the 2nd, 4th and 5th rounds. Plus, if they decide to trade down they may yield more picks. After watching yesterday's game, there appears to be plenty of room for new players.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Best in season trade?
Pittsburgh receives pick 33.
Bears receive Claypool, and Packers missing the playoffs.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Your question is stupid as I am not advocating we give Claypool a new contract. He will get paid only if he plays well next year so we are still left with it is too early to tell if the trade was worth it.
You call my question stupid but defend the trade as solid?

I am trying to follow your logic here.

If the trade was good the Bears literally HAVE to pay him. If they don't pay him for, reasons, it was obviously a waste. So how is giving up the pick they gave reasonable if the end result is either he is not on the team or he gets tier one money after 1.5 years? I mean, you are an accountant right? do the math.

TBH I really would've liked to have seen at least a little of that tier one WR this year and not push it all off on next year like you have. This whole time I have been saying I didn't like the trade I was really hoping to be proven wrong and so far I haven't. So I guess we will see what happens with the 1 year, expensive (early 2nd round pick) rental, and go from there.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Why are there so many crybabies on this board?
If we would have won a few more games and it was the 40th pick you wouldn't have made this thread?
And Poles should have had the same fore vision?

Stop bleeding. We have the 1st overall pick and the most cap room maybe ever. Have you ever seen a WR traded to a new team mid-season and excel? Outside of QB its the position that takes the most time to settle into and master the offense.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Pretty much traded a first for a garbage ass wr but don’t worry it’s not for this year it’s for several years down the line ?‍♂️??‍♂️
Maybe give him more than half a year with a new system and not offseason before labeling him garbage.
His traits are off the charts. He had 11 TDs as a rookie. I still think we need a real #1 but he can be a good #2 or # 1b complimentary receiver and a go up and get it outlet for Fields.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
The 32nd pick for Claypool is not good value. Not sure why that makes some of you some angry. Hopefully he plays much better next year. But if you can't find a better player at pick 32 than Claypool you are not a good GM.
History would say you are very wrong. Do yourself a favor and look up the #32 pick for the last 10 years. It's pretty sad overall. Draft picks are valuable but a crap shoot.
Claypool has a proven year in the NFL as a playmaker his rookie year and a couple other years of being ok but with weak QB play. His traits are off the charts. Give him an offseason with this offense before holding judgement.