So we traded the #33 pick for Claypool?

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
They slow played Chase so they wouldnt win meaningless games. Chase is gonna ball next year
I would laugh this off but after watching Poles presser today and how much he said he did not know or care what was going on with the Houston game and how he could care less about having the #1 pick does anyone believe that he did not purposely tank?
They severly limited Claypools snap count once we obtained him. Were they worried he would mess up the cohesion we had going and cost us games?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just think it was a bad trade for us.

The Packers price war was because they were in Rogers last Green Bay ride.

We overplayed for what? 2024?

When Hopkins is traded this will look bad.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I just think it was a bad trade for us.

The Packers price war was because they were in Rogers last Green Bay ride.

We overplayed for what? 2024?

When Hopkins is traded this will look bad.
Yes the Packers drove the price up and they were desperate for a WR.

But that does not mean the trade was bad.

Hard Pass on Hopkins. He is 31 and is being paid over 15Mil a year and has under a 1,000 yards the past 2 years. I know he was suspended this year but not sure at what point and not sure what happened last year. But i would not invest anything significant in a 31 year old WR.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You call my question stupid but defend the trade as solid?

I am trying to follow your logic here.

If the trade was good the Bears literally HAVE to pay him. If they don't pay him for, reasons, it was obviously a waste. So how is giving up the pick they gave reasonable if the end result is either he is not on the team or he gets tier one money after 1.5 years? I mean, you are an accountant right? do the math.

TBH I really would've liked to have seen at least a little of that tier one WR this year and not push it all off on next year like you have. This whole time I have been saying I didn't like the trade I was really hoping to be proven wrong and so far I haven't. So I guess we will see what happens with the 1 year, expensive (early 2nd round pick) rental, and go from there.

It was a solid trade at the time. It could end up being a bad trade if he doesnt deliver next year. Not sure what is so confusing. All I am saying is let's wait and see how he performs next before we start crying about it.

Speed

Liked Posts:
Ill wait & see on Claypool, but on paper the value seems like doo doo.

Even if he has a bang average season 800-1000 yards 4-6 TD's, you still gotta pay him. His contract won't kill us. but eh if average starter was the goal I don't think we had to go too far out to find that.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Don't tell the rest of the board but trading for Claypool was meant to bolster the offense for a playoff run. After the win over the Patriots Poles was convinced the Bears were ready to compete in a weak NFC North.

Poles thought Sanborn would be a good MIKE to shift Adams over to the WILL and that Robinson would get better with more reps in place of Quinn.

Poles wasn't trying to tank and now that that happened he realizes he's in way over his head.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
It was a solid trade at the time. It could end up being a bad trade if he doesnt deliver next year. Not sure what is so confusing. All I am saying is let's wait and see how he performs next before we start crying about it.
Claypool is basically Christian Watson physically, who all of us would have been happy and excited about taking with a high 2nd round pick last year. If we got a guy with Claypool's physical profile in the draft with our 2nd round then we'd all be at least moderately excited as well. I'm wait and see too as all the moves made this year were always with the 2023 season in mind, not the 2022 one. Considering how it worked out, Fields looking like at least a good dynamic QB and having the 1st overall pick: I wouldn't change a thing.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Claypool is basically Christian Watson physically, who all of us would have been happy and excited about taking with a high 2nd round pick last year. If we got a guy with Claypool's physical profile in the draft with our 2nd round then we'd all be at least moderately excited as well. I'm wait and see too as all the moves made this year were always with the 2023 season in mind, not the 2022 one. Considering how it worked out, Fields looking like at least a good dynamic QB and having the 1st overall pick: I wouldn't change a thing.
Chase was 30lb heavier at the combine.:) If we wanted a WR, in this weak at the top WR class, at that pick we'd probably be looking at Cedrick Williams, Josh Downs, Zay Flowers, Jalin Hyatt, Marvin Mimms etc. Claypool would be a better prospect in this draft.

The issue with Claypool and why he got traded was his Diva persona and nothing to do with his chops. His value and success will have more to do with how well this staff can wrangle him than his physical attributes.

Last edited:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Don't tell the rest of the board but trading for Claypool was meant to bolster the offense for a playoff run. After the win over the Patriots Poles was convinced the Bears were ready to compete in a weak NFC North.

Poles thought Sanborn would be a good MIKE to shift Adams over to the WILL and that Robinson would get better with more reps in place of Quinn.

Poles wasn't trying to tank and now that that happened he realizes he's in way over his head.
? ?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Its a bad trade. GMs are going to make mistakes, and saying this was a mistake doesn't mean that Poles will be a failure at all.

But trading the #32 overall pick for an average-ish WR is a huge overpay.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Chase was 30lb heavier at the combine.:) If we wanted a WR, in this weak at the top WR class, at that pick we'd probably be looking at Cedrick Williams, Josh Downs, Zay Flowers, Jalin Hyatt, Marvin Mimms etc. Claypool would be a better prospect in this draft.

The issue with Claypool and why he got traded was his Diva persona and nothing to do with his chops. His value and success will have more to do with how well this staff can wrangle him than his physical attributes.

finally someone telling the truth, the dude thinks he's a top 3 WR IN THE NFL, he isn't even a number one on the Bears and certainly wasnt on the Steelers, the Steelers had Pickens outside and put Chase in the slot and that pissed him off because Pickens is better outside than Chase is

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
finally someone telling the truth, the dude thinks he's a top 3 WR IN THE NFL, he isn't even a number one on the Bears and certainly wasnt on the Steelers, the Steelers had Pickens outside and put Chase in the slot and that pissed him off because Pickens is better outside than Chase is
He should be the de facto #1 on the Bears simply because he is better suited for the X that Mooney. I think this staff is happy to do that 'IF' he does the work. They will either make him into more of a dependable team player or dump him. If the 1st comes to fruition, no one will complain about the trade but it's sort of a boom or bust proposition. Fields is a wild card as he does appear to have become the offensive leader. Something Pittsburg lacked this year.

I don't mind that Poles rolled the dice considering this draft class and that he expected to finish with a better record.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Says the guy that apparently doesn't understand how contracts work in the NFL.... Ask @remydat what happens with that money if he balls out next year and how that compares to Watson's contract with GB... He knows, he just won't admit it was a garbage move.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
All your saying is that everything you said he was going to do for the Bears wasn't really a thing this year, even though you insinuated that it was. So hopefully you get to land your plane next year... good luck. Hopefully, for the Bears you get your win on this one next year....

Also, Hopefully, there isn't a tier one WR available at the pick the Bears gave away, or someone might mention it in the future.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Says the guy that apparently doesn't understand how contracts work in the NFL.... Ask @remydat what happens with that money if he balls out next year and how that compares to Watson's contract with GB... He knows, he just won't admit it was a garbage move.

Not sure you point. We have 117m in cap so we can afford signing Claypool if he is good. Do you think we should only ever have players on rookie contracts?
All your saying is that everything you said he was going to do for the Bears wasn't really a thing this year, even though you insinuated that it was. So hopefully you get to land your plane next year... good luck. Hopefully, for the Bears you get your win on this one next year....

Also, Hopefully, there isn't a tier one WR available at the pick the Bears gave away, or someone might mention it in the future.
Again I am not responsible for things I never said. I never said anything about this year. Sorry.

Sure you can mention it so long as you mention all the other players taken in the 2nd rount that end up being busts.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

This is the lowest denominator of plausibility but still in the realm of potential truth.

I think it’s more likely they wanted Claypool in free agency and felt like his extreme size and strength at WR was an ideal fit.

They wanted Harry to be this type and could see the high cost of failing to find their desire. They guaranteed a high floor of a player type they wanted in the building for Getsy’s scheme. Clearly they see a TE hybrid WR that can block out the sun from defensive backs as a huge downfield asset with Fields.

For this reason, and with Ebner disappointing, I think you will see us front load Montgomery as the stars align for us to pay a running back again.

Fields/Montgomery/Claypool/Herbert/MooneyKMET

That’s a highly synergistic young core and they think it is almost complete.

I expect us to sign the TE fa from Miami or similar pass catcher but that would be my target. His name slips me but he’s as good as Goedert imo. Should be a fairly cheap prove it deal but honestly sometimes it’s best to foresee talent is there and wasted in system and give him 4 years with our cap surplus. Guy can run routes and catch, don’t ask him to block a ton but he got training doing that exclusively this year.

Great compliment TE to KMET.

Re-do the Velus pick of a speed WR/KR in the 5th or 6th and let them compete for time.

Most picks will be defense or o-line this year. Team is ok outside the trenches but needs a couple pillars on both sides.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
gryst5ypfcba1.jpg

Every 32nd pick the past few years

Not a great ratio of good to whatever players. You guys are bitching about nothing atm. Give it another year

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Sorry but you're a fucking idiot

Nelly

Liked Posts:

That's something you worry about later. Having guys ball out and thus having decisions to make on contracts is a symptom of a winning football team. Would you prefer Claypool doesn't ball out so we can save some extra cash to go along with a big hole at WR? I'm confused here.

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
This is the lowest denominator of plausibility but still in the realm of potential truth.

I think it’s more likely they wanted Claypool in free agency and felt like his extreme size and strength at WR was an ideal fit.

They wanted Harry to be this type and could see the high cost of failing to find their desire. They guaranteed a high floor of a player type they wanted in the building for Getsy’s scheme. Clearly they see a TE hybrid WR that can block out the sun from defensive backs as a huge downfield asset with Fields.

For this reason, and with Ebner disappointing, I think you will see us front load Montgomery as the stars align for us to pay a running back again.

Fields/Montgomery/Claypool/Herbert/MooneyKMET

That’s a highly synergistic young core and they think it is almost complete.

I expect us to sign the TE fa from Miami or similar pass catcher but that would be my target. His name slips me but he’s as good as Goedert imo. Should be a fairly cheap prove it deal but honestly sometimes it’s best to foresee talent is there and wasted in system and give him 4 years with our cap surplus. Guy can run routes and catch, don’t ask him to block a ton but he got training doing that exclusively this year.

Great compliment TE to KMET.

Re-do the Velus pick of a speed WR/KR in the 5th or 6th and let them compete for time.

Most picks will be defense or o-line this year. Team is ok outside the trenches but needs a couple pillars on both sides.
This is a great post. With an offseason building chemistry and working out with the same offense with an assumed improved offensive line, I kind of like the receiving corp. I'm not crazy about it, but if healthy they could be a solid group. Would not be surprised at all if we don't even draft a receiver.