So who is the Bears’ starting slot corner for 2021?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Shelley has looked really bad to me. He's just a depth guy. He cannot reliably start.

I think we're going CB in the 1st. But I also suspect our secondary will no longer be an asset, and we'll start getting carved up by good QBs. And of course, our offense won't be able to bail out our defense.

Get ready for 5 or 6 wins.

Yeah, Shelley's not good. I don't know why people here think he is.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
My money is on a draft pick to pair with JJ on the outside. Slot will fall to one of Vildor, Shelley or Trufant with Burns in the mix on the outside as well. Could be worse.

Last edited:

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Too many FA, draftpicks availabe, along with future cuts, to determine who's playing opposite of JJ at CB and NB.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Yeah, Shelley's not good. I don't know why people here think he is.
If you write of any CB after their rookie season, you probably aren’t thinking at all. Even top pick CBs tend to struggle early on. That’s why ppl who think we’re going to draft a “plug and play” CB at 20 are in for a big disappointment.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Likely draft a CB to try and start and Trufant is there as a backup. I still think Pace looks until the 2nd round for a CB.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
My hope is Vildor. Not a fan of Shelley, though PFF graded him higher than Vildor. But it sounds like the Bears like Vildor more outside anyway. With Desai being a DB coach turned DC, I wonder if he'll try multiple pieces there depending on the situation. Maybe some 3 safety looks? Bush, DHC and Marqui Christian are all guys that have played the 3rd safety role. Of course, they would still need a 2nd safety in this scenario. There's a few guys at nickel CB and SS in free agency still that would be solid pickups. There's also the draft where they will likely add a CB early. Not going to pick a nickel early, but maybe then Trufant could help out in the nickel role.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Skrine’s gone.

JJ’s outside.

Trufant and Burns aren’t slot guys.

So who’s your starting nickel for this year? You can’t roll into the season with Duke Shelley as your slot corner, man.

I know they’ve said nice things about Kindle Vildor, but come on.

Would you be surprised if they went CB in the first? It might make a lot of sense.
I would bet Vildor would get the first look, but if healthy keep an eye on Burns. Burns best year was as a rookie where he played a lot of slot.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If you write of any CB after their rookie season, you probably aren’t thinking at all. Even top pick CBs tend to struggle early on. That’s why ppl who think we’re going to draft a “plug and play” CB at 20 are in for a big disappointment.

Sure, he could turn from bad to good, but what are the people who say he’s good looking at?