Solar Setups

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any of you guys running solar on your camping setups? I’m starting off simple. The initial requirement is to simply run my 12v fridge/freezer (45-50w draw) and maybe some lights while I’m out for several days at a time. My current setup is a jackery 500, a 120w RockPals folding solar panel, a yeti 150 and a 60w folding panel for it as well.
I’m thinking of tapping into the 7pin wiring harness to charge the 500 while going down the road while in the trailer. (It’s the Smittybilt Scout trailer)

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just finished installing a 1200W system at my off grid cabin (1200 WATT 12 VOLT Monocrystalline Solar Kit). I couldn't install them on my roof by myself so I just put them on the unfinished deck. Not ideal as they are not perfectly south facing. And I still have to take down a bunch of trees that partially block them (and they need to be taken down to create defensible space).

I have them hooked up to two 155Ah batteries (Amazon.com: Qty 2 VMAX SLR155 Vmaxtanks AGM Deep Cycle Batteries 12V 155Ah Each SLA Rechargeable Battery for use with Pv Solar Panels Smart Chargers Wind Turbine and Inverters: Home Audio & Theater). I have a 2000W inverter attached to that. I had to use oil lamps and headlamps until I got this set up, but now I have 4 LED lights and man what a difference it makes to staying at the cabin. I have also installed a 12v outlet with two USB ports. I am going to put in 2 more but it requires a huge gauge of wire for the length of runs.

With this setup I could run a TV and a couple appliances (fridge and stove are on propane). I also have a preorder for Starlink. Hopefully that comes soon so I can work from home up there.

There was an existing 80W panel when I bought the place, so I repaired all of that and have another battery attached to that along with a 700W inverter. All I use that for currently is to power the cell booster (otherwise I don't get cell signal in the cabin). It works but its not good enough for WFH.

I will post some photos but I have to find them on my phone.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know its a bit of a hot mess of wires. I did my best for the time being. And I am not too worried about not getting full potential out of the panels yet, because I have more than enough considering my battery bank size and current usage.

Attachments

• batteries_small.jpg
    batteries_small.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Solar_panels_small.jpg
    Solar_panels_small.jpg
    641.2 KB · Views: 6

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I did something like this prior to getting the cabin. It was awesome to charge before going on camping trips. I used the 700W inverter (you can see the set up in the battery photo above; far right battery in a case) instead of this little thing in the link. Now its attached to the 80W panels.
This is the case I used. It is awesome. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PTHKMG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Awesome setup! I’m keeping mine small and mobile for now since it’s mostly for my overlanding trailer/camping. At some point I would like a permanent power station on the trailer, but I’m going to play and experiment with this setup first.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Awesome setup! I’m keeping mine small and mobile for now since it’s mostly for my overlanding trailer/camping. At some point I would like a permanent power station on the trailer, but I’m going to play and experiment with this setup first.
You can't go wrong with Goal Zero. I had never heard of Jackery, but it looks pretty sweet too. My portable set up is definitely not as small and awesome as those. Just a tiny bit cheaper.
But wiring your system into your trailer system would be awesome. My buddy was vanlife for ~4 years before the pandemic and fled to Canada and had to rent a place. But he is my source of info for all things solar, batteries, lights, fuses, etc. I am a total noob to this.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can't go wrong with Goal Zero. I had never heard of Jackery, but it looks pretty sweet too. My portable set up is definitely not as small and awesome as those. Just a tiny bit cheaper.
But wiring your system into your trailer system would be awesome. My buddy was vanlife for ~4 years before the pandemic and fled to Canada and had to rent a place. But he is my source of info for all things solar, batteries, lights, fuses, etc. I am a total noob to this.
Yeah, Jackery is a Cali based company. They are one of the standards that most compare to. They're pricey but they are high quality. I’m definitely looking forward to tapping into the trailer power, just to make everything easier.

Last edited: