Some Experts Grade Johnson Pick an A

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The injury history probably means you can trade back & still get him. I like this pick better than Kmet though.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
I LOVE the pick. I really, really like this kid. I think hes going to be an elite corner someday. Its all about health with him. The ability is there.
Hes the best DB in a top 10 CFB pass D.

He also plays press corner.

He's a perfect fit.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
H's a great fit with what Pagano does. He's a press man corner. Have him do that, and he will be alright.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Bears fans do this every year as the Bears fuck everything up they start looking for reassurance. The end product is usually the same, bears end up sucking as usual

Outside of the first round theyve had very good success scouting 2nd and down.

They took the best TE in the draft and got arguably a first round CB.

This isn't really looking for reassurance.

Drafting Adam Shaheen was a reassurance pick.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
The guy did 15 reps of 225 with his hurt shoulder... played in 37 college games. I don’t think his injuries are Kevin White level. Great bpa pick that fills a need.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
You’d think Bears would’ve learned about picking injury prone players after the Kevin White pick. Hope I’m proven wrong about Johnson. Loved the Kmet Pick!
YearSchoolConfClassPosGSoloAstTotLossSkIntYdsAvgTDPDFRYdsTDFF
*2017UtahPac-12FRDB10232250.00.0100.00600
*2018UtahPac-12SODB143110412.01.0412631.51400
*2019UtahPac-12JRDB13342361.00.023919.51110
last time i checked he didn't miss more than a few games and it looks like he either didn't start early or was injured late in 2017**********************************

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
You’d think Bears would’ve learned about picking injury prone players after the Kevin White pick. Hope I’m proven wrong about Johnson. Loved the Kmet Pick!

White didn't have injury problems in college, so your logic is unfounded. He became injury plagued in the NFL.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Bleacher reports
-------------
  1. Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah
    Strengths: Vision, length
    Weaknesses: Deep speed
    Johnson is a tall cornerback who is aggressive in press coverage, but his best attribute is his vision on plays developing in front of him. He quickly and smoothly adjusts when receivers criss-cross and can spot efforts to fake him out of position, which makes him especially effective in underneath-zone and matchup-zone (where defenders have to switch whom they are covering, basketball-style, when receivers cross in front of them) coverages.
    Johnson spoke about the importance of good vision at the combine.
    "Everything for me is eyes, because you can have bad eyes and you can never win," he said. "But I feel like if you have good eyes, you put yourself in an opportunity to really make a play on the ball."
    Johnson's biggest weakness is a lack of deep speed. He isn't equipped to cover burners down the field without safety help if he cannot maul and redirect them at the line, but few defenders are. Johnson is a physical, versatile defender who should quickly develop into a productive starter.
    This is a fine pick for the Bears. It's also their last pick until the fifth round unless they trade up because of the picks they dealt away for Nick Folesand to move up for David Montgomery last year. (They sent their first-round pick to the Raiders as part of the Khalil Mack trade, which feels like it happened when George Halas ran the team.) Sometimes, a high grade on a selection doesn't tell the full story of how badly a front office messed up a draft.
    Grade: A-

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Great pick. Feisty press-corner with ball skills. Speed is better on tape than what he ran. Good recovery speed. Very physical. Will go up against any WR. This pick redeemed the day. Bears defense will be something to watch.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

It's football everyone is injured.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
JJ gave up a total of 4 passes longer than 10 yards in his entire senior *final junior season.

Sub 60 passer rating when targeting him...for his entire collegiate career including starting as pure freshman.

That's ballin.

Last edited:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
White didn't have injury problems in college, so your logic is unfounded. He became injury plagued in the NFL.

JJ was a consensus 1st round pick had he come out after Junior year. Shoulder is what got him to the Bears as late as 50. Talent is there. Bears felt it was worth the risk.
Apples & oranges to White, who you said yourself - had no injury issues in college. Not defending taking on the risk on JJ, just saying. Time will tell. ?‍♂️

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
From @PFF_AustinGayle

Lowest completion percentage allowed on targets of 10+ air yards over the past two seasons (FBS cornerbacks, 50+ qualifying targets):

1. Jaylon Johnson (24.1%)
2. Jeff Gladney (24.4%)
3. Lamar Jackson (26.2%)
4. Jeffrey Okudah (26.3%)

Chicago's newest CB Jaylon Johnson career at Utah:

1,256 Coverage snaps
3 TDs allowed pic.twitter.com/CPF71nF2W9
— PFF Draft (@PFF_College) April 25, 2020
Jaylon Johnson's 2019 coverage stats:

65 targets, 29 catches, 319 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, 6 PDs, 52.0 passer rating on 438 coverage snaps#Bearspic.twitter.com/KAgHa1CGPG