Some OC candidates for when the Bears hire a defensive head coach

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Read something about Quinn and the OC from San Fran since Shanahan calls plays there.

Also saw Darrell Bevell. Experienced and actually will run the ball plus worked with Rustle Wilson.

This may be the most valid take. Just the vibe I get is that its going to be Dan Quinn.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you have a link to the Quinn/Mike McDaniel connection? That would be best case scenario IMO if that was real.

Also couldn’t 9ers block McDaniel from leaving?
I think that's just a rumor that has picked up steam because Quinn once had Shanahan and may dip into his staff. McDaniel doesn't call plays in SF, so some people think that it may help him to leave so he can run his own show. He also just might get hired this year as the Dolphins HC, so it's not even a guarantee that he's available.

Can't block if you tag on "Assistant HC" title

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Do you have a link to the Quinn/Mike McDaniel connection? That would be best case scenario IMO if that was real.

Also couldn’t 9ers block McDaniel from leaving?
They were on the same staff together in Atlanta. He’s potentially in the running for Miami HC so obviously he takes that if offered. Yes 9ers could but usually teams don’t when they have a situation where a guy wants to get play calling duties which he doesn’t have over Shanahan

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
Very nervous about OCs that don’t call plays. They are an OC in name only, so you don’t really know what you are getting at all. Nagy’s lack of playcalling experience and the subsequent shit show should be a warning. With Fields there it’s incredibly important to get that hire right this time around.

Tee

Beast Mode
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Houston Cougars
When the Eagles were looking at Caldwell for OC: Is Jim Caldwell the right choice for Eagles OC vacancy?

In 2009 and 2010 as the Colts’ head coach, Caldwell had the second and first ranked passing offense respectively. It should be noted that he did have Peyton Manning as quarterback for those two seasons. His rushing offense was close to last in both of those years, but during his final year in Indianapolis, with Curtis Painter, Kerry Collins, and Eagles Twitter favorite Dan Orlovsky at quarterback, the passing offense ranked 27th and the entire offense ranked 30th.

In his two years as the Ravens’ offensive coordinator in 2012 and 2013, the Ravens’ offense ranked 16th and 29th respectively.

When he was the head coach of the Lions, the offense never reached elite status, ranking 19th, 20th, 21st, and 13th in total yards. However, the passing ranks were 12th, 9th, 11th, and 6th. Staying true to his philosophy, the rushing attack ranked close to last in all four years.
Caldwell is an old school coach. His concepts on offense won't bode so well in today's NFL. We need a new innovative offense imo. Like the Bills, Chiefs, Bengals, Rams and 49ers. All in championship game!

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If Kevin O'Connell wants to prove himself away from McVey he would be near the top of my list. Caldwell, Dorsey, and Pep would be guys I'd want from the list above. Keep Flip as QB coach if possible.

I think Dorsey is close to a lock for the BUF job if Daboll leaves.
I might be wrong, but I don't think the NFL allows you to leave for lateral positions.

Stonewall

Liked Posts:
Pep Hamilton developed Luck/Herbert/Davis mills

He needs to be on the staff in some way

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
I might be wrong, but I don't think the NFL allows you to leave for lateral positions.
Sort of, teams can block moves if it is not for an HC position. They can always grant the move and let him out of his current contract. That is if he is currently under contract.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
When the Bears hire a defensive-minded head coach, who will he turn to to run his offense?

Some obvious possibilities:

Ken Dorsey
Jim Caldwell
Pat Shurmur
John DeFilippo
Jason Garrett
Joe Brady
Pep Hamilton
Josh Gattis (Univ. of Michigan)
Ronald Curry

Who do you guys like as the Bears' next play-caller?

Bucs Assistant HC/run-game co-ordinator Harold Goodwin could be an option. Raiders OC Greg Olson as well.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t understand the fascination with Caldwell. He’s a solid leader, but ultra conservative, boring, mildly effective OC…

I like him as a HC candidate for his leadership and experience, but not going out of my way to hire him at OC if they give the HC job away to someone else.

I forgot Joe Brady got canned. As a part time LSU fan...sign me up! Fields is far more talented than anything the Panthers gave him to work with.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Teams can block the interview if they want. It happens I think it's pretty unusual to block.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bill Lazor did a fair job when he actually called plays

Collins77

Liked Posts:
Whoever it is, I hope they incorporate a heavy Run scheme. With a young QB, and two above average RBs it makes sense. Fields is basically gonna be a rookie again. Play action, play action, rollout, moving the pocket will compliment his skill set.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Whoever it is, I hope they incorporate a heavy Run scheme. With a young QB, and two above average RBs it makes sense. Fields is basically gonna be a rookie again. Play action, play action, rollout, moving the pocket will compliment his skill set.
Sounds a lot like what Klint Kubiak ran in Minny.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Teams can block the interview if they want. It happens I think it's pretty unusual to block.
Yes. You can’t just slap on an AHC title and call it a promotion. That can be blocked.

SiDe WaYs

Liked Posts:
Read something about Quinn and the OC from San Fran since Shanahan calls plays there.

Also saw Darrell Bevell. Experienced and actually will run the ball plus worked with Rustle Wilson.
Darrell Bevell. I kind of like that.