Sometimes numbers lie and sometimes they don't

chuck3671

Liked Posts:
Fields has been sacked 40 times on 228 attempts. That's good for 17.5% on pass attempts. If he was any other QB in the league, that number would be higher because he manages to evade 2-3 sacks a game with his athleticism. Even if you go conservative and say he escaped 11 sack attempts (1 per game), that's still 21.9%

I went back to the year when Cutler took those horrendous beatings in 2010. He was only sacked 12% on pass attempts and his line was BAD that year (Frank Omiyale, Olin Kruetz, Lance Louis, Chris Williams, J'Marcus Webb).

My point is this has to be the worst line in a decade or more. There should be no debate where the resources need to go in order to move forward.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
There are pretty much no plays where he hits his drop and lets the ball go though. It's either one of those weird quick screens, or holds it past his first read. I'm not necessarily blaming Fields, I suspect some of it is him, OL, WR and sometimes playcalling.

But that number doesn't just reflect the OL. There just isn't anything that happens fast in the Bears' passing game except for one read plays.

Last edited:

chuck3671

Liked Posts:
There are pretty much no plays where he hits his drop and lets the ball go though. It's either one of those weird quick screens, or holds it past his first read. I'm not necessarily blaming Fields, I suspect of him, OL, WR and sometimes playcalling.

But that number doesn't just reflect the OL. There just isn't anything that happens fast in the Bears' passing game except for one read plays.
That is because he has no time. The D line is in his face instantly. Claypool can't get involved because he needs time to run a route and that time isn't there. Coaches can't even trust the line to block at the end when the game is on the line

dennehy

Liked Posts:
That is because he has no time. The D line is in his face instantly. Claypool can't get involved because he needs time to run a route and that time isn't there. Coaches can't even trust the line to block at the end when the game is on the line
There are plenty of times he has 3 seconds. He holds the ball longer in the pocket than any other QB, or at least he's close to the most.

How many times can you remember him hitting his fifth step on a dropback and immediately throwing? Pretty much never.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think that is the worst line- but possible stat wise???- Shortly after that season some of those guys were still on the Bears- Garza was the center with Webb, Omaleye and the Bears played the Giants on Monday Night

IIRC - Cutler was sacked 9 times before the half (NFL record) and concussed to Bolivian - Horrible

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
There are plenty of times he has 3 seconds. He holds the ball longer in the pocket than any other QB, or at least he's close to the most.

How many times can you remember him hitting his fifth step on a dropback and immediately throwing? Pretty much never.
Any time there's a deep ball, he pretty much throws at the end of his drop (one shot to Mooney yesterday). He also seems to like the max protect double deep comeback routes (hit one to Mooney last week). I think it's more of an issue when he wants to throw middle of the field. He's not comfortable yet reading the 2nd level players, I guess? He has shown he can manipulate safeties, but seems to have trouble looking off LBs.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's all of the above. Sometimes Fields rejects the shorter throw looking for the deeper one, which is problematic due to the line.
Sometimes there is 0 separation and no one is open. Other times there is terrible line play. They ran back-to-back screens just yesterday where falcons d-linemen were completely unblocked.

Yesterday there were way fewer plays where Fields held the ball just to hold it. The announcers did a really good breakdown showing no one being open and Fields having to scramble around. Then came the screens that were poorly executed almost got Fields injured.

There is a very serious problem with interior protection when Jenkins is out. Mustipher and Schofield are going to get someone hurt.

chuck3671

Liked Posts:

Right now, in 1 out of every 5 attempts he gets sacked. You don't think that contributes to getting happy feet? He's in survival mode to trying and avoid a devastating hit which happens once out of every 5 attempts.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Any time there's a deep ball, he pretty much throws at the end of his drop (one shot to Mooney yesterday). He also seems to like the max protect double deep comeback routes (hit one to Mooney last week). I think it's more of an issue when he wants to throw middle of the field. He's not comfortable yet reading the 2nd level players, I guess? He has shown he can manipulate safeties, but seems to have trouble looking off LBs.
They almost never throw over the middle. Almost no crosses or slants. Part of that is probably his low arm angle, part lack of comfortability.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Right now, in 1 out of every 5 attempts he gets sacked. You don't think that contributes to getting happy feet? He's in survival mode to trying and avoid a devastating hit which happens once out of every 5 attempts.
I didn't say he has happy feet, I said he doesn't pull the trigger down the field much from the pocket, even when he does have time. Sometimes he doesn't have time, sometimes no one is open, but he also has to learn to throw guys open.

He's already made significant strides this year, has to keep improving. So does the OL.

chuck3671

Liked Posts:
I didn't say he has happy feet, I said he doesn't pull the trigger down the field much from the pocket, even when he does have time. Sometimes he doesn't have time, sometimes no one is open, but he also has to learn to throw guys open.

He's already made significant strides this year, has to keep improving. So does the OL.
I can agree with that. My original point though was bad olines can make good quarterbacks perform badly. Seeing it in LA, Green Bay, and Tampa Bay this year. Those are 3 super bowl winning quarterbacks that are struggling this year because their olines are damaged.

We put a good oline in front of Fields, which allows him to focus on surveying the field and not where the next hit is coming from, and he'll be able to take it to the next level. He's facing historically bad numbers

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I can agree with that. My original point though was bad olines can make good quarterbacks perform badly. Seeing it in LA, Green Bay, and Tampa Bay this year. Those are 3 super bowl winning quarterbacks that are struggling this year because their olines are damaged.

We put a good oline in front of Fields, which allows him to focus on surveying the field and not where the next hit is coming from, and he'll be able to take it to the next level. He's facing historically bad numbers
Those guys are suffering from being old and declining too, it's not just their OLs. GB has had many worse OLs than this one over the last 15 years due to injuries.

Yep, to me investment in both lines is job #1 for Poles this offseason.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are pretty much no plays where he hits his drop and lets the ball go though. It's either one of those weird quick screens, or holds it past his first read. I'm not necessarily blaming Fields, I suspect of him, OL, WR and sometimes playcalling.

He definitely needs to take the next step. I’ve seen glimpses of it he needs to do it consistently which is probably near impossible with what is around him., being his second year. I have no doubts that will develop.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He definitely needs to take the next step. I’ve seen glimpses of it he needs to do it consistently which is probably near impossible with what is around him., being his second year. I have no doubts that will develop.
I think so too. But there are some puzzling plays. I was at the game yesterday, had a great view of the play where he threw it off the helmet (I think) and it went way up in the air and was almost picked. First drive, play before really nice TD to Mooney. He had Kmet wide open and seemed to be looking at him for like a second before he threw it. I'm not sure why.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
he had like 3 plays yesterday go right into helmets or hands, right?

smh!

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Getsey still can’t understand that Fields needs to role out. It’s fucking frustrating to watch him call 5 step drop pocket passes.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Fields has been sacked 40 times on 228 attempts. That's good for 17.5% on pass attempts. If he was any other QB in the league, that number would be higher because he manages to evade 2-3 sacks a game with his athleticism. Even if you go conservative and say he escaped 11 sack attempts (1 per game), that's still 21.9%

I went back to the year when Cutler took those horrendous beatings in 2010. He was only sacked 12% on pass attempts and his line was BAD that year (Frank Omiyale, Olin Kruetz, Lance Louis, Chris Williams, J'Marcus Webb).

My point is this has to be the worst line in a decade or more. There should be no debate where the resources need to go in order to move forward.
Fields is reponsible for at least half those sacks because he holds it way too long and gets sacked on scrambles.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Fields is reponsible for at least half those sacks because he holds it way too long and gets sacked on scrambles.
Some of the sacks are on fields, yes. Just like there have been sacks he turns into non sacks. So the rate is probably somewhere right around that 17.5% still when you factor it all in

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I'd say a clear majority of NFL teams run 1/2 of their pass plays with the idea of getting them out in under 2 seconds. Quick simple reads, slants, 6 yard stop routes. Especially against zone. Mariota did this on probably more than half of his pass attempts, even against a poor pass rushing group.

Basically no chance for a rush to get there. The Bears just don't really do this for some reason.