Sorry boys.. this defense is still nasty.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The depth chart is still way more talented than most teams in the NFL, front to back.

Hicks-Goldman-Nichols. Run stop and pass rush ability from the DE position.

LB corps of Mack, Roquan a healthy Quinn. I don't even care about Trevathan. You can even take out Quinn. Roquan and Mack are more talent at LB that nearly every squad in the NFL.

Secondary - Probably the weakest spot after losing Fuller, but the safeties are no slouch with Jackson and Gipson. Johnson will be a strong second year corner.

Depth is an issue, but the starting 11 is stout.
Desai isn't the most experienced coach, but knows this personnel better than anyone.

We need to stay healthy, no doubt. But with an improved running game to give our defense a break and Goldman back to help the run defense, we should have plenty of chances in 3rd and long to get sack opportunities. Mack and Hicks getting older but both of the guys can still turn on beast mode.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Why are you apologizing for something thats....good for Bears fans?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm not your boy. You're MY boy!

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The defense has regressed for the past three years. But not a whole lot.

They are still capable of being stout at times. But the offense can't continue to suck year over year....there has to be slack taken up by the offense.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
@msadows believes that the defense is old and sucks and it's not Pagano's fault at all LEAVE PAGANO ALONE!!!!
Then again when the defense is NASTY this season he will certainly pretend like he never caped for Pagano and was just trolling, just like he has with Mitch now that Mitch is gone and a backup and will never see the field unless injuries in front of him, despite the fact he literally put CASH on Mitchell being LEAGUE MVP just a year ago lmfaooooo

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
So many of us will be disappointed to learn Pagano was an amazing DC, and no one could move the ball against his schemes... even if the lions, 2 head coaches, had 900 yds of offense last year against him

dennehy

Liked Posts:
A better offense that can get the lead and control game flow will be the best thing for this defense.

It's very tough to be a statistically strong defense when your offense can't stay on the field or score.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The depth chart is still way more talented than most teams in the NFL, front to back.

LB corps of Mack, Roquan a healthy Quinn. I don't even care about Trevathan. You can even take out Quinn. Roquan and Mack are more talent at LB that nearly every squad in the NFL.
The Bucs have the most talented LBs in the NFL

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
A better offense that can get the lead and control game flow will be the best thing for this defense.

It's very tough to be a statistically strong defense when you're offense can't stay on the field or score.
There was a stat earlier last season that showed the gap between the offense and defense DVOA and it was at a historic level. It's just impossible for a defense to be great when your offense is as inept as the Bears have been the past couple seasons.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Biggest concern is DC Sean Desai. Other than being some sort of defensive coach for football powerhouse Temple for 4 years in the mid 2000's, he has had nothing to do with actually coaching defense and has been little more than a pencil pusher and and film guy until 2019 when the Bears promoted him to, not even DB coach, but Safeties coach. Two season later he is the Bears DC.

Hope they catch lightening in the bottle with him but he went from a 30k-50k peon job to DC in 2 years all while coaching a position with the Bears where EJ went from PB'er to shit under his watch.

I doubt you will find a weaker resume for an NFL DC. His hiring was more about no qualified candidate wanting to jump on the Nagy shit train to torpedo their career path than Desai's acumen.

His position was basically that of a glorified PFF volunteer.

Contemporary coaches are always searching for an edge over their opponents. Now that the Computer Age is upon us, the analyzing has become more technical. Many of those coaches have assistants called the "Quality Control Coach." However, the QCC doesn't really do much coaching at all. They spend all day multitasking, breaking down film up to five weeks in advance and analyzing data.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:

Secondary - Probably the weakest spot after losing Fuller, but the safeties are no slouch with Jackson and Gipson. Johnson will be a strong second year corner.

Depth is an issue, but the starting 11 is stout.
Desai isn't the most experienced coach, but knows this personnel better than anyone.

We need to stay healthy, no doubt. But with an improved running game to give our defense a break and Goldman back to help the run defense, we should have plenty of chances in 3rd and long to get sack opportunities. Mack and Hicks getting older but both of the guys can still turn on beast mode.

The problem is, offenses will exploit the weakest link. And the Bears have some glaring holes. And secondary isn't one of them. At least they have the league's most impressive collection of 2nd string corners. So, they will get the best of that bunch worst case scenario.

msadows

Liked Posts:
No, no it's not.

They are soft and can't tackle. Zero pass rush + backup corners now = Nasty evidently.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Biggest concern is DC Sean Desai. Other than being some sort of defensive coach for football powerhouse Temple for 4 years in the mid 2000's, he has had nothing to do with actually coaching defense and has been little more than a pencil pusher and and film guy until 2019 when the Bears promoted him to, not even DB coach, but Safeties coach. Two season later he is the Bears DC.

Hope they catch lightening in the bottle with him but he went from a 30k-50k peon job to DC in 2 years all while coaching a position with the Bears where EJ went from PB'er to shit under his watch.

I doubt you will find a weaker resume for an NFL DC. His hiring was more about no qualified candidate wanting to jump on the Nagy shit train to torpedo their career path than Desai's acumen.

His position was basically that of a glorified PFF volunteer.

Contemporary coaches are always searching for an edge over their opponents. Now that the Computer Age is upon us, the analyzing has become more technical. Many of those coaches have assistants called the "Quality Control Coach." However, the QCC doesn't really do much coaching at all. They spend all day multitasking, breaking down film up to five weeks in advance and analyzing data.
This is spot on.

I really think the D is going to regress and Bears fans are going to be shocked that it keeps trending down.

Forget about things being relative to Pagano. If you know the history of the Bears coaching hires...lol

msadows

Liked Posts:
This is spot on.

I really think the D is going to regress and Bears fans are going to be shocked that it keeps trending down.

Forget about things being relative to Pagano. If you know the history of the Bears coaching hires...lol

I think people seem to think I thought Pagano was a great coach....I didn't. He wasn't horrible either. A lot of the issues defensively had nothing to do with scheme or playcalling. Sure, he called his fair share of clunkers, and deserved to be let go, but this defense has been worse every year.

They might stay about the same statistical rank, only due to the fact that their schedule against should be easier. 2019/2020 they had the hardest defensive schedule in the league according to DVOA. I can't imagine they would have the terrible luck to have that happen 3 years in a row, especially with Goff in the division and rodgers potentially out.

The bears are as thin at CB and LB as any position on this entire roster....