Sounds like John Fox wants Watson

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe all the coaches going to Watson's proday wasn't a smoke screen.

John Fox

"We spend a lot of time measuring. Height; weight; hand size; arm length; 40-yard dash; 20-yard dash; 10-yard dash; short shuttle; intelligence off of the Wonderlic (test); personality. But it’s really hard to measure a guy’s leadership ability and a guy’s ability to inspire people around him. I think as I look back — and I’ve seen a lot of quarterbacks in 28 years — I think if I had to pick a trait, it would be the ability to inspire the people around you."

"Again, you do research. With Russell Wilson, everybody talked about how short he was. Everybody talked about how he can’t see. My experience having watched him for years was he was going to be successful. … Jim McMahon. I’m not saying he’s the most prolific passer in Chicago Bears history. But I think he inspired his teammates. I’m not saying the skill set is perfect. But that has just been my experience. And Jake did that very well in my time in Carolina."

www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-john-fox-nfl-meetings-20170329-story,amp.html

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I would love to see Watson's bow and arrow in Chicago almost as good as Willie Young going fishing.

giphy.gif

ThoroughPeriodicHyracotherium.gif

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If they like him enough, go get him. He has the intangibles, arm strength and accuracy. Definitely a gamer.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

John Fox

"We spend a lot of time measuring. Height; weight; hand size; arm length; 40-yard dash; 20-yard dash; 10-yard dash; short shuttle; intelligence off of the Wonderlic (test); personality. But it’s really hard to measure a guy’s leadership ability and a guy’s ability to inspire people around him. I think as I look back — and I’ve seen a lot of quarterbacks in 28 years — I think if I had to pick a trait, it would be the ability to inspire the people around you."

www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-john-fox-nfl-meetings-20170329-story,amp.html

Maybe there's hope for Fox yet. Perhaps being paired with Cutler for 2 years has made him see the light.

We know Fox runs Halas Hall so if he wants Watson then he will get him assuming he's there at #3.

Now just Pace needs to put a lid on Fox before he gives away the draft board.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So Watson is the only quarterback with leadership and the ability to inspire? Confirmation bias much?

Perhaps Fox is blowing a smokescreen like Pace may have done yesterday with the QB talk but he just described Deshaun Watson, deal with it.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
By the way, Fox also said that Glennon was "no doubt" the starter and it was a good idea to have that starter feel secure in that decision. Not sure taking a QB at 3 is a great way to make him feel secure.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'm not convinced coaching can fix bad decision making. I've seen coaches try, but I've never seen it work.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Maybe there's hope for Fox yet. Perhaps being paired with Cutler for 2 years has made him see the light.

We know Fox runs Halas Hall so if he wants Watson then he will get him assuming he's there at #36

Now just Pace needs to put a lid on Fox before he gives away the draft board.

Fixed it.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm kind of scared of Watson a little bit, but tell you what - I fully support this regime taking a risk on a high QB. Even if they get Watson and he busts (or any other high QB) I will still be glad they at least took a swing. I'm tired of the small ball bullshit with the QB position.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Feelings? You're talking about feelings?

Mike Glennon has to a lot to prove to the Bears and the NFL. This is Glennon's LAST shot in the NFL, he has to prove he's franchise caliber or he's gone.

Glennon's contract can be terminated with little cap hit.

I'm just relaying what Fox said in the interview. He said clearly "Glennon is the starter" and when asked about competition he said it's good to have guys push and be competitive but that it was important for the quarterback to feel secure. I know there is some strong denial going on here, but unless the Bears are playing an incredible game of chess-including repeatedly calling him the starter, giving him$18.5 million, talking at length at how much they like him, not meeting with Watson at the combine(but sending everyone to his pro day) etc, Glennon is the starter and the Bears aren't likely to draft a QB high.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Sounds like Fox wants to trade a draft pick to the Mets for Tim Tebow. Inspirational and a Gold level Semtex QB, get it done Pace!!

Last edited:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Feelings? You're talking about feelings?

Mike Glennon has to a lot to prove to the Bears and the NFL. This is Glennon's LAST shot in the NFL, he has to prove he's franchise caliber or he's gone.

Glennon's contract can be terminated with little cap hit.

Wait, what? He barely got a first shot. And his first shot as a young player, he performed pretty well on a terrible situation. He's only 27 years old. This is certainly not his "last" shot. You see journeyman type QBs latch on somewhere and start a season or two for teams all the time. And if he performs well this season and the Bears draft a QB for the future, Glennon may start somewhere else. Not saying he's going to be great or anything...but saying it's his last shot is an exaggeration.

Liked Posts:
Fox wants Watson! Hell yeah!

Hopefully we trade Glennon for a draft pick(s) next year.

If we have the final drive of the game, I feel good knowing Deshaun Watson is leading the team.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

John Fox

"Again, you do research. With Russell Wilson, everybody talked about how short he was. Everybody talked about how he can’t see. My experience having watched him for years was he was going to be successful. … Jim McMahon. I’m not saying he’s the most prolific passer in Chicago Bears history. But I think he inspired his teammates. I’m not saying the skill set is perfect. But that has just been my experience. And Jake did that very well in my time in Carolina."

Leadership, inspiring teamates and elevating others is what we need . It's what we haven't had here at the Qb position since McMahon