Sources: NHL aiming for mid-January start, 52- or 56-game schedule

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm sorry but again, getting Lehner made no sense. If your goalie cupboards are bare, you make a move for a younger goalie and develop; or you sign a guy that has multiple years on his contract (not for one year, when you know Lehner is going to want big bucks even if he has a down year). The Hawks were never going to be able to sign Lehner. It was a ridiculously stupid and short-sighted move -- and that isn't me talking in hindsight, I was saying this the very moment it was announced. But anyways, old news now.
I remember you not liking the move when it happened G and you were right......not blowin' smoke at ya but you were right.
I just thought at the time that Lehner was worth 5M but hindsight proves it wasn't the right move for the Hawks,a team that's only a GT away......yes.
Lehner might be worth that 5M to the Knights but only if he can keep his pie hole shut and that's anybody's guess.
SB knew there was upheaval coming in the FO and the team's hierarchy so he went out and spent like a drunken sailor last summer in an attepmt to look good by putting a competitive team on the ice(spent 21.7M on Lehner,de Haan,Matta,Shaw,Smith and Carpenter)but his effort resulted in another two over effort when he shoulda been rebuilding like he said he was.
The current goaltender situation proves our point better than anything either one of us can say.

SB supporters point to the 21M Kane and Toews(the team's best two players) make as the major impediment to future success but ignore the 21.7M spent on players who offered little to nothing. I'm tired of hearing about the money spent on the core when our brain dead GM squandered 21.7M,a 2nd and a 3rd and a very promising 20yro NHL D-man on players who are now mostly untradeable.

Last edited:

Granada

Liked Posts:
I remember you not liking the move when it happened G and you were right......not blowin' smoke at ya but you were right.
I just thought at the time that Lehner was worth 5M but hindsight proves it wasn't the right move for the Hawks,a team that's only a GT away......yes.
Lehner might be worth that 5M to the Knights but only if he can keep his pie hole shut and that's anybody's guess.
SB knew there was upheaval coming in the FO and the team's hierarchy so he went out and spent like a drunken sailor last summer in an attepmt to look good by putting a competitive team on the ice(spent 21.7M on Lehner,de Haan,Matta,Shaw,Smith and Carpenter)but his effort resulted in another two over effort when he shoulda been rebuilding like he said he was.
The current goaltender situation proves our point better than anything either one of us can say.

SB supporters point to the 21M Kane and Toews(the team's best two players) make as the major impediment to future success but ignore the 21.7M spent on players who offered little to nothing. I'm tired of hearing about the money spent on the core when our brain dead GM squandered 21.7M,a 2nd and a 3rd and a very promising 20yro NHL D-man on players who are now mostly untradeable.

Exactly. Even if you can't move Kane and/or Toews, you can still rebuild, but like you said, Bowman didn't choose to do that. Instead, he goes out and gets all that garbage you just listed.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've said before that I'm fine with bringing in a few vets here and there -- even on a rebuilding team -- but at this point (with his somewhat knee-jerk Soderberg signing), it's obvious that Bowman is just doing what he always does. He's signing old vets for roles they aren't ideal for and expecting them to help the team tread water.

Great point about Caggiula and Smith; just illustrates Bowman's incompetency. I still remember when he re-signed Panik for 2.8 million. And Frolik (over Brouwer) for 2.5. etc.

Like I said though, I understand wanting a few vets even on a rebuilding team -- but the Soderberg move especially, to me, clearly indicates that Bowman doesn't want a rebuild.

We'll have to agree to disagree about the goaltender situation...but for the bolded this is where Stan had failed repeatedly. It's patently obvious he doesn't want to rebuild in spite of the 'hawks needing to...for years. It's like any inkling of success and he thinks the old core had sipped from the fountain of youth and he tries to go for it.

History has proven that's not the case.

Spitballing here, but I do wonder if Bowman knows he's a beancounter playing at being a hockey GM, and knows if he's really, and I mean *really* put to task rebuilding like Smith/Tallon, he knows he's going to fail so he tries just kicking the can down the road and deflecting the blame onto the players.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Exactly. Even if you can't move Kane and/or Toews, you can still rebuild, but like you said, Bowman didn't choose to do that. Instead, he goes out and gets all that garbage you just listed.
Stan is trying to rebuild and keep his GM job at the same time. All these moves for players like Lehnar and Soderberg are signs of a General manager trying to save face. When the Hawks get decimated this season the pitchforks will be out in full stride. The collapse of the Hawks falls on Stan, and he knows it, but he will keep trying to bring in vets to prove to the majority of Hawks fans, who unlike most of us posters don’t dissect the team inch by inch that he has a plan. Management will keep up with the smoke and mirror show until the United Center looks like Phoenix.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
WBBM Chicago is reporting Brent Seabrook as unfit to participate as camp opened this morning. I thought we'd see a rested and healthy guy but I guess not.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
WBBM Chicago is reporting Brent Seabrook as unfit to participate as camp opened this morning. I thought we'd see a rested and healthy guy but I guess not.

If he's not healthy after all that time off, when will he be? Kinda strange how Toews and Seebs are both out with mysterious issues.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Home cooking?

Carolina and the Jackets will tear our style of play apart. They are better than average teams. Carolina is a cup contender. The Jackets took the Lightning to their breaking point and beyond.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
If he's not healthy after all that time off, when will he be? Kinda strange how Toews and Seebs are both out with mysterious issues.
Nothing mysterious about seabs bad everything coming off surgery.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Home cooking?

Carolina and the Jackets will tear our style of play apart. They are better than average teams. Carolina is a cup contender. The Jackets took the Lightning to their breaking point and beyond.

People sleep on Carolina. They are really, really good. Great coach too

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Stan is trying to rebuild and keep his GM job at the same time. All these moves for players like Lehnar and Soderberg are signs of a General manager trying to save face. When the Hawks get decimated this season the pitchforks will be out in full stride. The collapse of the Hawks falls on Stan, and he knows it, but he will keep trying to bring in vets to prove to the majority of Hawks fans, who unlike most of us posters don’t dissect the team inch by inch that he has a plan. Management will keep up with the smoke and mirror show until the United Center looks like Phoenix.
argue_with_that_blazing_saddles.gif

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not sure what's up with Seabs either.
I might have a better idea if he wasn't a year removed from his procedures.
I might have a better idea if he DIDN'T pump out 50 in the push up challenge not long after his shoulder procedure.
I also thought he looked close back in the bubble practice as did other observers........that was five months ago.
Seabrook on injuries | NHL.com
I was hoping to see a rested player who'd be healthier than he's been in years but I don't know what we're seein'.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Not sure what's up with Seabs either.
I might have a better idea if he wasn't a year removed from his procedures.
I might have a better idea if he DIDN'T pump out 50 in the push up challenge not long after his shoulder procedure.
I also thought he looked close back in the bubble practice as did other observers........that was five months ago.
Seabrook on injuries | NHL.com
I was hoping to see a rested player who'd be healthier than he's been in years but I don't know what we're seein'.

The only thing I can think is he had some sort of setback in the time that article was released to now. That certainly wouldn't surprise me, considering all the surgeries he's had.

I know many rag on Seabs but I was looking forward to seeing him back on the ice, personally -- if only to see if he had improved any after the surgeries.

According to the game logs, Seabs last played on 12/15/20. He hasn't played hockey in over a year, and he's 35. And now he won't be ready for this year. I don't know, I can't see how he comes back at this point. It isn't easy returning to hockey after such a long layoff, but it's even harder to do so at his age.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Tater you are opening up a can of conspiracy theories here.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
The only thing I can think is he had some sort of setback in the time that article was released to now. That certainly wouldn't surprise me, considering all the surgeries he's had.

I know many rag on Seabs but I was looking forward to seeing him back on the ice, personally -- if only to see if he had improved any after the surgeries.

According to the game logs, Seabs last played on 12/15/20. He hasn't played hockey in over a year, and he's 35. And now he won't be ready for this year. I don't know, I can't see how he comes back at this point. It isn't easy returning to hockey after such a long layoff, but it's even harder to do so at his age.
I am with you on this, the truth is Seabs is done but he won’t retire and lose the chance of cashing in on the remainder of his contract. At the same time with covid and teams tightening there belts, you can’t trade that contract either.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, but his surgeries were months ago and the last reports had him doing well. Just seems odd.

I think he's basically done, but money......

Granada

Liked Posts:

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Alright, what the eff is going on? See below:

"Brent Seabrook’s absence from training camp is not related to his hip and shoulder surgeries, according to Bowman."

Source: Shaw Was "Sick of Bleeding Everywhere," No timeline for Toews, Teplý's Attitude, and Other Blackhawks Bullets | Bleacher Nation
When it comes to JT's situation,I'll take the guy at his word and give him the privacy he asked for because I believe him and I heard him say it himself(or read it) but I can throw Bowman further than I can trust him when it comes to statements.

Granada

Liked Posts:
When it comes to JT's situation,I'll take the guy at his word and give him the privacy he asked for because I believe him and I heard him say it himself(or read it) but I can throw Bowman further than I can trust him when it comes to statements.

Ironically, now Crawford is out indefinitely for Jersey due to "personal reasons." Not saying there is a connection, it's just weird.