Sports Illustrated projects the Chicago Bears hit their rock bottom in new power rankings

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
The OL talent is worse, the WR talent is worse. The O was already bottom 3 so yea, it could be a really scary. My only hope is Nagy was so fucking bad that it's addition by subtracting his dumbass.
If they were bottom three with the Line and WR talent last year, how was getting rid of many reasons for that bad offense a bad thing?

Also, maybe we should wait until they play a damn game before we throw out 'facts.'

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Vs sf
@ gb

Two losses right off the bat

Not sure what anyone is expecting as

1st time HC
1st time OC/Play Caller
Soft cover 2 d
Highly questionable oline
Poor group of wr
2nd year qb who was injury prone and a turnover machine

Talent is less but schedule is easier

Anything from 3/4 wins to 9/10 wins is possible with the most likely outcome closer to the middle (6) garnering a top 10 pick.
Why is the Niner game an automatic loss? All signs are saying that Lance is either still not ready, or just not the guy, and Fields had one of his better games vs the Niners last year. I'd hope the D shows up this time.

Once again, how about we wait and watch them play before declaring this and that?

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
The failure to meaningfully address the sorry offense by the new regime does not bode well. Now we're down to relying on an unproven rookie WR and several third rate WR signings. Unfortunately the team has a very promising young QB but chose not to support him.
IE, they didn't sign any HUGE names bums that still don't have a team to play for today, with money they don't have and cap space they can't afford to clog.

They've brought in a ton of players for the offense. You just want to league reject with a name you saw in fantasy football. You ever think there might be a good reason Julio or OBJ still don't have a job?

greg23

Liked Posts:
Why is the Niner game an automatic loss? All signs are saying that Lance is either still not ready, or just not the guy, and Fields had one of his better games vs the Niners last year. I'd hope the D shows up this time.

Once again, how about we wait and watch them play before declaring this and that?

All he needs to do is hand it off or toss it to deebo......the Bears will be a touchdown dog

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is leading up to another 2018 season with a new regime and MASSIVE public/media undervaluing. I'd love to win a ton of money on tiny bets again like I did that season! Hardest schedule to one of the easiest again now too. Fields > Mitch by far IMHO, but to each their own.

How can I bet on the Bears' crazy longshot odds from Florida where there's no sports betting??? PM me please.

napo55

Liked Posts:

I don't think it's an automatic loss. But SF has a far superior receiving corps and Lance has a huge advantage there.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Because they're the team that was 3 points away from the SB and Garoppolo had a hand in throwing away the 49ers chances in that tight championship game. The 9ers shopping Jimmy would indicate that they feel Trey is ready. Garoppolo is a league bottom 1/2 QB by any standard so Trey won't need to shine for them to still be VG. If you're simply taking a nothing proven approach, what indicators say that Justin is ready?

I may be a Bear fan but I won't rationalize away what's staring me in the face. Any given Sunday and the season is still far away and all that but the line in that game will not be favorable.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The Bears are a long way away. The talent is not there, I'm sorry.

I think a lot of fans are in for a rude awakening once the regular season gets underway.

This. Wish in one hand and shit in the other.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Because they're the team that was 3 points away from the SB and Garoppolo had a hand in throwing away the 49ers chances in that tight championship game. The 9ers shopping Jimmy would indicate that they feel Trey is ready. Garoppolo is a league bottom 1/2 QB by any standard so Trey won't need to shine for them to still be VG. If you're simply taking a nothing proven approach, what indicators say that Justin is ready?

I may be a Bear fan but I won't rationalize away what's staring me in the face. Any given Sunday and the season is still far away and all that but the line in that game will not be favorable.

Don't forget SS Tartt dropping one of the easiest INT's late in that game. They also were one of the most injured teams too and played a tough schedule from what I remember. They definitely weren't some lucky to be in the playoffs team (Bears 2020)

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't think it's an automatic loss. But SF has a far superior receiving corps and Lance has a huge advantage there.

Outside of QB, RB, and CB(they don't have good corners), they are a vastly superior team.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Said it numerous times: 6-11 again. Got worse talent-wise but improved coaching and easier schedule. This will be a try-hard team that won't lose because they're unprepared or unable to adjust in-game (i.e. get flagrantly outcoached), which will inherently make them less frustrating to watch.
Schedule says that or better but then again, Vikes and Lions should be better than last year and negate that.

I think we're all disappointed that OL and WR didn't get better but did they get worse? AR was a no show and our 2 and 3 should give more than our 1 and 3 did last year. Obviously we all wanted a big #1 but you can't have everything when you need so much. We should actually get better overall play from WRs this year.

The OL is a wash with Daniels vs Lucas but we still have a G hole instead of C hole and question at LT even though the 2nd year Ts should show a clear jump. No guarantees. I like a couple of this year's OL draft picks a lot but they're late picks for a reason and need development, Thomas has a shot at moving inside to G this year and Jones may have a future at LT but it would be asking a lot for him to play there this season.

Last edited:

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
I'd prefer a shit season with Fields showing progression and a coach who isn't a fucking idiot. Even if it's injury plagued, maybe it'll just be the older guys. And to trade Quinn mid-season.
I don't want to see a bunch of fluke wins and lucky breaks and end up with an inflated win-loss record.

This 100%!!!!!!!!

We need an absolutely bottom of the barrel season to secure a high draft pick. That doesn't guarantee squat, but I would like to see Poles take a shot at a high draft pick. The Bears need some impact players. They have very few.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
This 100%!!!!!!!!

We need an absolutely bottom of the barrel season to secure a high draft pick. That doesn't guarantee squat, but I would like to see Poles take a shot at a high draft pick. The Bears need some impact players. They have very few.
Not going to happen.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Shitty teams tend to stay shitty with those early picks and VG teams tend to stay good with late ones.
:speechless:
Be careful what you wish for.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Shitty teams tend to stay shitty with those early picks and VG teams tend to stay good with late ones.
:speechless:
Be careful what you wish for.

Yeah, I can't say I will ever root for the Bears to lose, especially before a season even starts.

I will not be surprised if they end up with a losing season, but I will root for them to surprise everyone and get some wins.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All the hit rates in round one are close, with the top half providing a slightly higher floor. With a 52.8% top 24 hit rate compared to the back half’s 45.2% hit rate, early WRs have more safety. Interestingly, the top-5 finishes are effectively the same (22.2% early vs. 19.0% late). The takeaway within round one is hard to distinguish as the data is close. However, one could argue top-half picks have a higher floor but a similar ceiling.

image-3-1024x197.png
The conclusion to be drawn from the above data is that round position has little bearing on success rates compared to draft round itself. This pushes back against the notion that a player who missed the previous round is closer to said round than the one they were drafted in. Moving forward, using draft round is important when evaluating prospects as well as not falling into the narrative trap of draft position.

Last edited:

90sBullsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Kansas City Royals
  1. Minnesota Timberwolves
  1. Kansas City Chiefs
  1. Minnesota Wild
  1. Northern Iowa Panthers
The roster is pretty barren. But worst in the league? I just don't see that happening.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
The roster is pretty barren. But worst in the league? I just don't see that happening.
Name worse. Giant, Jets and Lions all made significant improvements. Bears dumped good players and had bad draft

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I think we're all disappointed that OL and WR didn't get better but did they get worse? AR was a no show and our 2 and 3 should give more than our 1 and 3 did last year. Obviously we all wanted a big #1 but you can't have everything when you need so much. We should actually get better overall play from WRs this year.
From a talent standpoint, yea we got worse. Robinson still got paid $15 mil to Pringle's $6. No doubt he's still thought more highly of in NFL circles than anyone else we picked up. I'm not worried about Pringle replacing Robinson's production from last year but that shouldn't be the bar to clear.

The OL is a wash with Daniels vs Lucas but we still have a G hole instead of C hole and question at LT even though the 2nd year Ts should show a clear jump. No guarantees. I like a couple of this year's OL draft picks a lot but they're late picks for a reason and need development, Thomas has a shot at moving inside to G this year and Jones may have a future at LT but it would be asking a lot for him to play there this season.
Daniels got paid twice as much as Patrick did. So while we can look at it as a body-for-body switch on the starting unit, it might not actually work out that way in terms of quality. And that trade just switched the hole on the line from C to RG so we're still wondering exactly who will fill that, hoping a 6th round rookie can.

To use your argument from above, Jason Peters held down the LT spot in a pinch quite well. He's old but a former pro-bowler and one of the best to ever play the position (in his prime). We didn't anticipate him being the LT at this point of last offseason but it happened and surprisingly worked out for much of the season. It appears Jenkins will be manning the right side but it remains to be seen if he can be as good as we hope. The clubhouse leader to take the LT spot right now is second-year 5th rounder Larry Borom to be challenged by rookie 5th rounder Braxton Jones. Lots of uncertainty there despite us feeling fairly good about the young guys we have.

Plus, when we say we got worse talent-wise, we have to consider that within relation to the rest of the league. Without a first rounder, we added less premium talent than most other teams, especially when considering how we didn't add any bigger-name free agents either. I agree with the approach Poles took this offseason and am glad he didn't break the bank for any free agents but that simultaneously means we've got a lot of stop gaps for the time being until they prove otherwise on the field. At best, our talent level remained fairly even, but I've never been considering the talent as a reason for why we'll get/look better. That's all about the coaching.