Stars for 2..... The End

Granada

Liked Posts:
I don't get why Strome spends so much time in the press box when he could be top 5 or better on the team in scoring.

Also, what was Zadorov doing on that last second PK goal? Eddie O was pointing out Suter being in the wrong spot, but why is the D man skating out to the point on a lost draw with 5 seconds left?

This happens all the time, and not just with Zadorov. I'm beginning to think that the D is responsible to cover the point, and the forwards are responsible to switch. I feel that Colliton did this because too many shots were getting through from the point, because our forwards suck at covering it and are fairly useless at blocking/preventing shots getting through, so he decided the d-men should do so.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:
Caps v Bruins, Blues v Vegas , and I would love to see Habs knock off Leafs!!

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't get why Strome spends so much time in the press box when he could be top 5 or better on the team in scoring.

Also, what was Zadorov doing on that last second PK goal? Eddie O was pointing out Suter being in the wrong spot, but why is the D man skating out to the point on a lost draw with 5 seconds left?
He needs to fix his motivation issues. He was a bit better tonight than his last showing but he's got the rep for being a floater. If he had Hagel's Drive or Kampf's drive he'd be a force, but the fact that he brings it sporadically is a problem--especially when he's a more seasoned player and he's setting an example for the rookies.

As for the D, I'm inclined to go with @Granada. JC prefers man-on-man to zone, and the FWDs aren't that good at it. Neither are the D for that matter but they're better than the FWDs. No matter how you slice it though, it's not working, and with all of our netminders (Lankinen especially) going questing far from the net trying to cover the initial angle it's becoming every easy for the opposition to get the puck to the weak-side for an easy tap-in as the attacking player is left unmolested.

Aside from teaching the young goalies to hold the net better, I really think the 'hawks simply don't have the personnel to run JC's D-scheme--and that might take years to fix.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I dont think he is embarrassed at all, I could be wrong here but it seems to me Kane has taken a different approach this year and gone way more pass first, I know he has always been great at setting up other players, but he has also balanced that in the past with also taking lots of shots as well. Seems he is taken a more pass heavy approach this year, maybe figuring to help some of the younger players develop maybe?
Kane led the team in shots by a large margin and his career worst 7.9 S% is due to a lack of any linemate being able to set him up. Suter's 13 assists led all Hawk centers........SERIOUSLY!

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1st off, if Kane keeps feeding El Gato his stats will be padded. There's no embarrassment in that. I think Kane had a ton of responsibility this year and maybe the drag stole some of his goal scoring mojo, but he's still feeding the puck well.

2nd, if Dach can't he can always call up Kane and Madden for a trip to Vancouver...:D
Unfortunately......Kane only feeds El Gatto on the power play now. Their numbers if they played together would really be eye-poping!

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
88 mailed it in the last 15 games. JC keeps him a little interested by giving him so much ice time.
I dont think embarrassed is the right word, but yes i think he can do 2 more years of this.
He is still the shit just on a shit team many other players have been in that situation without 3 cups under there belt.
I also dont believe 88 would ever bad mouth this organization. Just my 2 cents
Maybe Kane will settle for 15-20 goal seasons for a few more years........who knows how this shit show shakes out.

I also doubt Kane would bad mouth the Org.......that's my job!LOL!

Granada

Liked Posts:
He needs to fix his motivation issues. He was a bit better tonight than his last showing but he's got the rep for being a floater. If he had Hagel's Drive or Kampf's drive he'd be a force, but the fact that he brings it sporadically is a problem--especially when he's a more seasoned player and he's setting an example for the rookies.

As for the D, I'm inclined to go with @Granada. JC prefers man-on-man to zone, and the FWDs aren't that good at it. Neither are the D for that matter but they're better than the FWDs. No matter how you slice it though, it's not working, and with all of our netminders (Lankinen especially) going questing far from the net trying to cover the initial angle it's becoming every easy for the opposition to get the puck to the weak-side for an easy tap-in as the attacking player is left unmolested.

Aside from teaching the young goalies to hold the net better, I really think the 'hawks simply don't have the personnel to run JC's D-scheme--and that might take years to fix.

The interesting thing about Strome is that, he actually was like practically the entire team this year: when he was good, he was good; when he wasn't, he really wasn't. You can say the same about Mitchell, Beaudin, Suter, Kurashev, maybe Lankinen, etc. It's like all the stars aligned for the small segment of the year, but then everybody came back down to earth. Strome was no different, and really, he was key for that stretch when the team looked decent, especially with Toews out and especially on the PP.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Kane led the team in shots by a large margin and his career worst 7.9 S% is due to a lack of any linemate being able to set him up. Suter's 13 assists led all Hawk centers........SERIOUSLY!
yes Kane led the team in shots.. he usually does, but his shots per game this year was down 17% and 24% over the last 2 years. I'm sure a large part of it is yes he is not getting set up like he has in the past. But i was replying to the comment he is embarrassed by his lack of goals and I dont think that is the case.

There has been lots of times that Kane has gotten a pass and he is in a very good scoring position and he pauses.. and then passes the puck in stead of shooting. to the point if it was any player other then Kane I would be screaming at the TV to SHOOT THE FUCKING PUCK! But its Kane so he knows what he is doing.

So why the no shot and pass when he is in a great position? lots of reasons, i guess, doesnt like the shot, thinks a pass would be better, wants to help young players etc.. Doesnt matter his reason for passing. If he was actually embarrassed by his lack of goals he would be greedy in those instances and shoot rather the pass to start increasing his goals.. the fact he keeps choosing to pass in situations like that and purely on my own eye test seemed to get more and more instances like that as the season goes on my guess is to help set up a young group of players..

Target35

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Toronto FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Glad to see this season over . lot's of bright spots on the team ( Lakinen, Suter , Karashev, Kalyunk, ect etc) hope they don't all have the sophomore jinks !! Hopefully we see a healthy Toews next year which would really help but we definitely have to fix our defense ( personnel & System) the other big disappointment for me this year and it played out last night was the Special teams , particularly the power play. We need a fix big time in this area because without strong Specialty teams you will struggle .
I don't understand with the skilled players we have that we struggle so much ? Would have loved to see Hardman in front of the net during the power play , big body plays physical . Maybe we have too many skilled players on the PW ? we need shots on net and rebounds to be converted , when you have an extra man that should happen. I think a big body in front will help with that .
I think we have a lot of good pieces but now its up to management and coaching to get the best out of them and I'm not really comfortable that they can?? . Let's not forget most likely we will be back to our normal division next year with Arizona joining the group so it will not get any easier .

Granada

Liked Posts:
Foley got in some hot water last night. I did wince when he made that comment in the 3rd period only because I knew he'd get in trouble. He apologized in OT, but I'm sure people will keep feigning outrage.

It was a dumb thing to say, but it's a pretty common expression and he immediately apologized. That should be the end of it, but I doubt it will be.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Foley got in some hot water last night. I did wince when he made that comment in the 3rd period only because I knew he'd get in trouble. He apologized in OT, but I'm sure people will keep feigning outrage.

It was a dumb thing to say, but it's a pretty common expression and he immediately apologized. That should be the end of it, but I doubt it will be.
I remember hearing that and wondering how quickly the apology would happen. A bit sooner than I expected, but still.

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:

Gran was at game dont know if you can PM through this site dont know what he said

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The interesting thing about Strome is that, he actually was like practically the entire team this year: when he was good, he was good; when he wasn't, he really wasn't. You can say the same about Mitchell, Beaudin, Suter, Kurashev, maybe Lankinen, etc. It's like all the stars aligned for the small segment of the year, but then everybody came back down to earth. Strome was no different, and really, he was key for that stretch when the team looked decent, especially with Toews out and especially on the PP.
That's what's frustrating about him. Aside from his performance at the dot, he is a good center...when he brings his game. After the team stopped riding high he would just float and give up on plays. That is a bigger problem than a simple slump. I don't know if it's frustration or what but he is an elder skatesman on the team and he does need to realize that his actions on/off the ice to affect the younger players.

With all the talk about "why would <insert vet player> want to stay here?" when it comes to the remnants of the core...I can't help but wonder if Strome maybe wants out given his late-season play.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I consider this season a win for Debrincat.
MVP of the Hawks no doubt. He had an Extraordinary season, and what a bounce back from a year ago. Dcat played with heart and passion, he had a sense of purpose the entire season, there is no doubt that Kane and the cat have become quit the tandem, now if they can get a steady player to win some face offs they can be something to look forward to next season.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I heard the apology but missed the original deal.
What gives?

Granada

Liked Posts:
Gran was at game dont know if you can PM through this site dont know what he said

I heard the apology but missed the original deal.
What gives?

This is the jist of it, but sounds worse without the context. Basically, he's getting shit for using a general expression that many people have used in the past, which is, "bullet in the head." If you listen to the whole statement, it doesn't sound as bad. He was basically giving props to the crew for all the covid-19 protocols and mentioned all the restrictions the team and the crew have had to deal with while traveling, and said he would have put a bullet in his head if he had to travel this year and deal with all of that.

Granada

Liked Posts:
That's what's frustrating about him. Aside from his performance at the dot, he is a good center...when he brings his game. After the team stopped riding high he would just float and give up on plays. That is a bigger problem than a simple slump. I don't know if it's frustration or what but he is an elder skatesman on the team and he does need to realize that his actions on/off the ice to affect the younger players.

With all the talk about "why would <insert vet player> want to stay here?" when it comes to the remnants of the core...I can't help but wonder if Strome maybe wants out given his late-season play.

I'm not sure if he wants out or not, but I have little doubt he'll be out either way. The Hawks have to be done with him, considering Bowman didn't even want to sign him this year and waited to zero hour to do so (only after Toews announced he's out). The fact that he's been a healthy scratch multiple times this season too, the writing's on the wall, he's done here.

I think it's Strome's horrible two-way game that was his downfall. He's just horrible defensively and doesn't get this system (but then again, who does?).

EDIT: as Bigbarn27 mentioned in another thread, Strome is signed through next year -- I forgot about that. No doubt he'll be exposed to Seattle if he's not traded.

Last edited: